New to turkey hunting

matthester21

I've been deer hunting for a few years now and I want to start getting into pursuing these amazing birds. I've gone a few times this year to no avail (surprise surprise). Consider me a blank slate when it comes to this area as I truly don't know anything about turkey hunting. I would really like to know anything and everything anyone is willing to share. I'm not afraid to spend as much time as I need to in order to become efficient for next year's season.
If it helps, I am part of a 15,000 acre lease out of the Augusta area that is 90% pine trees. Also, if anyone has any suggestions of websites, literature, instructional DVDs, or anything else that aided them in their success I would love to get that insight as well. Thanks in advance...

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Find the second thinned pines next to a hardwood drainage or creek if you can't get a couple hundred yards from a gobble. Setup to see about 50 yards. Call about every 20 mins. Tell me how it went. I was a blank slate over 30 yrs ago. They teach you a lot in time.

Last edited:

NUTT

Welcome to a great sport!
May I suggest before you fall in love with it-consider not even starting. I say that sincerely because turkey hunting is just not what it used to be. If you continue on-good luck!

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Is there any friends on your lease that turkey hunt who'd let you tag along?
That's the fastest way to learn.
I think this GON forum right here is as good or better than any dvd. Do what xironheadx suggest then ask away on here with your questions! And tell us your experiences and you'll get great advice on here!

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
But I would call every 30 seconds! I love to call!
Just make sure you don't answer a gobbler. Make him answer you.

wvdawg

Staff member
Patience pays off. Learn to sit still, move slowly and wait just a few minutes more. Call less, listen more. But most of all just enjoy being out there!

Bubba_1122

I had an intense standoff with a gobbler Sunday morning. I had missed what I believe was the same bird with my 410 a little over a week ago. Sunday he flew down and headed my way. Came to a creek he couldn't cross, but he never left. About 60 yards away - could hear him moving up and down the bank of that creek. I couldn't change my location without getting busted. Was a standoff.

Finally got him so stirred up (2 hours later) that he flew across that creek and straight to me (and that shocked me). Spent about 10 minutes on ground after flew over creek. Had gobbled almost constantly on other side of the creek, but never gobbled once on my side.

Shot him with a 410 with TSS at 22 yards. He gobbled from the tree at first light. Killed him 2 1/2 hours later.

Frankly, I about gave up on that bird a bunch of times. But stuck to it and got it done. One of the most fun hunts of any kind I've ever been on.

Patience kills birds.

BTW, I hunted turkeys for 6 years before I finally killed one (I'm a slow learner). Have done well since. The most important two lessons I've learned is patience and also to lighten up on my calling. Had a tendency to over call them (I call very little now - if they answer you they know pretty much where you are). I've also lightened up on the volume most of the time. Purrs and clucks are a big part of my hunting.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Some are a challenge aren't they, Bubba? lol. Sometimes if you get close to them it sets them off. We had a hunt like that a couple of weeks ago. Whole flock flew over the creek twice trying to find us. Last bird last year took 2 1/2 hours and he was 100 to 150 away the whole time. Nothing like it in the patience area.