New Toy

It appears that a couple of rifles may be moving out next week, so I began searching for "replacements". I thought I'd found "the" rifle at 2 yesterday afternoon. But, as I continued to look, I found an even better(?) replacement.

I'll be making a call in an hour or two to see if my offer has been accepted. So, if I get disappointed then, I guess I still have a plan "B" already...

Well, phone just rang and plan "A" it is! A commercial Mauser action, rebarreled and custom stock in a beautiful piece of walnut. I'll try to attach a couple pics here.

FN-Mauser-Custom-280-Rem-w-Leupold-2-7x_101280848_63636_CC6DF63E64607127.JPG

thumbnail-49.jpeg

thumbnail-47.jpeg

thumbnail-48.jpeg

FN-Mauser-Custom-280-Rem-w-Leupold-2-7x_101280848_63636_C84FD4D835799DDC.JPG

FN-Mauser-Custom-280-Rem-w-Leupold-2-7x_101280848_63636_98319CB7718636FD.JPG

FN-Mauser-Custom-280-Rem-w-Leupold-2-7x_101280848_63636_CF3793AC6C88FB70.JPG

Last edited:
The 280 is an excellent hunting cartridge. It's a shame it never became very popular. I get the itch for a 280 AI every now and then.

I agree, and love the .280. Many times you'll find a rebarrel like this one is done in the AI version. I'm rather glad this one is not, since I don't reload. I'll have a few more factory choices with the standard case.

Big7

The Oracle
Good analysis. It's of it's self a good round. Me don't think very much to gain in AI. The case is plenty large as it is. If you like to tinker as I do, the AI might be worth messing with. Simple reason it never really took off is 2 simple reasons, IMO. When it came out it had 2 things going against it. At the time, the BELTED and MAGNUM craze was full on + everything had to have Millimeter taged on just for fun. I guess that would be three reasons after all. Great cartridge. To bad it never really took off.

The first couple years, calling it the 7mmExpress didn't help either. Many even mistook it for the still new 7mag and bought incorrect ammo. It's at least on a par with the .270 in my eyes, and a skosh better, perhaps, with typically heavier bullets available. Even JOC had his final custom rifle being made in the .280 when he passed 41 yrs ago.

furtaker

The first couple years, calling it the 7mmExpress didn't help either. Many even mistook it for the still new 7mag and bought incorrect ammo. It's at least on a par with the .270 in my eyes, and a skosh better, perhaps, with typically heavier bullets available. Even JOC had his final custom rifle being made in the .280 when he passed 41 yrs ago.
No doubt it's a better cartridge than the 270. Heavier bullets with a better BC. Remington did that goofy name change in an effort to boost its popularity while in fact it hurt it. I have an old beat up 700 Mountain Rifle chambered in 280.

No doubt it's a better cartridge than the 270. Heavier bullets with a better BC. Remington did that goofy name change in an effort to boost its popularity while in fact it hurt it. I have an old beat up 700 Mountain Rifle chambered in 280.

I had a VERY odd limited production .280. Remington made a very limited run of the M7400 Carbine in .280 about 15(?) years ago (18.5" barrel). I snagged one for next to nothing NIB, used it for a few years and sold it at a neat little profit as an unusual, never seen rifle.

Only pic I can find of that .280 Carbine. 2nd from left.

thumbnail-51.jpeg

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
I had a VERY odd limited production .280. Remington made a very limited run of the M7400 Carbine in .280 about 15(?) years ago (18.5" barrel). I snagged one for next to nothing NIB, used it for a few years and sold it at a neat little profit as an unusual, never seen rifle.

Only pic I can find of that .280 Carbine. 2nd from left.

View attachment 980888

I happen to like the Remington semi-autos. We've all heard some bad stuff about them and I don't believe a word of it.. I've shot a few. 06' and I bought my Dad one in .243 Win. when he got so weak, he couldn't handle his prized Mighty Mosin he had before I was born. He laid a many deer and coyote low with that thing. He loaned it to one of his ARMY buds. He took it to Colorado and killed a monster Elk with one shot @ 200 or so yards
Off topic. Back to topic. The 7400 I got him in .243 Winchester was a flat shooting hammer. I used it a lot more than he did. I never had a failure to feed, failure to eject or failure to pop the primer. I think they are great rifles that don't break the piggy bank. And... They look good and have a great finish on wood and steel. That's one I wish I had kept.

I happen to like the Remington semi-autos. We've all heard some bad stuff about them and I don't believe a word of it.. I've shot a few. 06' and I bought my Dad one in .243 Win. when he got so weak, he couldn't handle his prized Mighty Mosin he had before I was born. He laid a many deer and coyote low with that thing. He loaned it to one of his ARMY buds. He took it to Colorado and killed a monster Elk with one shot @ 200 or so yards
Off topic. Back to topic. The 7400 I got him in .243 Winchester was a flat shooting hammer. I used it a lot more than he did. I never had a failure to feed, failure to eject or failure to pop the primer. I think they are great rifles that don't break the piggy bank. And... They look good and have a great finish on wood and steel. That's one I wish I had kept.

I've owned at least one of all the 74xx series of semi-autos from Remington; 740, 742, 7400 and 750. The 740 proved to be less than a good boat anchor. The rest were all good, serviceable rifles. The two 7400s (.280 & 35 Whelen) were flawless from my memories as was the 750 Carbine in 35 Whelen that was my last. The only semi-auto centerfire I own now is a 1968 BAR GRII in '06. I've been using mostly lever guns; Marlins and BLRs for hunting the last several years now.

I've always enjoyed hunting with a semi-auto, but hate the noise of loading one in the pre-dawn darkness.