Oddest place you’ve found a point?

Dr. Strangelove

Middle of the trail to Cold Mountain in NC. Nice quartz point. Don't know if someone found it elsewhere and dropped it or it just happened to surface right then, can't imagine it being there long with the number of people that hike that trail.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Just outside of Haines City, Fl digging up a section corner in 3’ of sugar sand in a orange grove.

This corner had been recovered several times but everybody missed the point.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have a couple that I may have posted here before.

On morning many years ago i was deer hunting in some planted pines with a fresh fall of pine straw beneath them. I found a point lying on top of the pine straw at the edge of a scrape made by a deer that I did not get that morning but I thanked him for the point.

Many many years ago Dad built a home in town and we were at the stage of landscaping. We were in the process of laying a brick walk from the front porch to the sidewalk and had a load of sand dropped for the job. When spreading and smoothing out that sand I found a point.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have several re-finds. Just before I retired I purchased a portion of one of my Grandparents farms and the farm house they built. When I got around to doing something with the smoke house, I decided to set some pavers in the dirt floor. While raking everything smooth I turned up a really pretty point. Nearly certainly found by my Grandfather, Dad, or one of my Uncles.

westcobbdog

Found a point laying on top of the hard pan right under the cable for one of the busier gates at my hunting club. No telling how many truck tires drove over it.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
My 1st point I found was at the mailbox. I was in 1st grade. I started hunting them that summer. My uncle found one while I was with him. So I started. As a child I had hundreds of acres to roam. I was told if it rattles don’t play with it. Jackson county fl on the lake Seminole! I searched everywhere out there. Found a few pieces. Flakes. My toys where a 22 single shot and a 410 single shot.
I roamed in search of rabbits and a arrow head. I was allowed to do this alone. 1968. 7 years old.

Well checked the mail looked down and there it was. :)

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Found one about 4’ off the ground in a big white oak root ball behind my house. The tree had blow down during a storm.

You would be surprised at just how many are found in the rootball of downed trees.

My Mother found one that somebody had stuck in the tar when the road crew fixed a pothole. It was a Boggy Branch.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
The Big Sandy on the far right, center, I found when I was first married and we were renting a house in Albany. I had the shovel and was scratching a level spot so The Redhead could put a flower stand and I uncovered it a few inches from the side of the house.

frame 1.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Middle of the trail to Cold Mountain in NC. Nice quartz point. Don't know if someone found it elsewhere and dropped it or it just happened to surface right then, can't imagine it being there long with the number of people that hike that trail.
Shining rock right out the ridge was a quarry site for quartz.