One year of growth

HenryHunter

Who would have thought a buck that looked like this last year would grow so much in a year.

Attachments

• Rockdale Backyard 1-29-2011 009.jpg
    Rockdale Backyard 1-29-2011 009.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,465
  • Rockdale Backyard 6-27-2011 120.jpg
    Rockdale Backyard 6-27-2011 120.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,469

bany

Yea, those odd spikes get me going. I am looking for one this year to see if it did the same. Couple more years you'll have a monster!

00Beau

Wow, wonder if the eye injury used up all his protein and energy last year??? That is a huge jump in one year!!!

bowbuck

Put your stand up on the "right" side of the trail and you got him. :whip: So much for "If i don't shoot em someone else will", or "he wasn't ever going to be much" In two more years he will be something.

HuntinDawg89

That is amazing. I've never been a believer in "once a spike always a spike" but that is really striking.

plottman25

I always thought that antler growth depended on the deer diet, not really genetics. Am i wrong?

gsubo

He'll be a monster in 2 years..but looks like he'll always be blind in that one eye

Major Wader

YOUNG bucks can almost always benefit from another year. Older "spikes" or older bucks that have a spike on one side, are usually caused by a damaged pedicle that results in a deformed antler.

If that deer is mature, then I will shoot on my place. Not because I believe that he is a cull, but because of his potential to injure or kill other quality bucks with the spike/sword that won't catch on another buck's rack.

across the river

YOUNG bucks can almost always benefit from another year. Older "spikes" or older bucks that have a spike on one side, are usually caused by a damaged pedicle that results in a deformed antler.

If that deer is mature, then I will shoot on my place. Not because I believe that he is a cull, but because of his potential to injure or kill other quality bucks with the spike/sword that won't catch on another buck's rack.

The problem is there are plenty of people on here that, had he not had two pictures, would have said he was 4.5 years old, going down hill, and needed to be "culled" in that first picture. The chance of someone actually seeing a "mature spike" in the wild is extremely, extremely rare.

Major Wader

Older spikes look old, not young like the deer in the first pic. I completely agree that some folks look for an excuse to shoot, regardless, but I really wish they would leave the spikes be.

This is what I am talking about when I say mature spike -

IMG-20180116-194918437.jpg
IMG-20180116-180924303.jpg