Painting hardie board vs putting vinyl over it

Mauser

Trying to decide what to do,built the house in 2007 this will be the first time painting since it was built. No idea on cost to paint. One vinyl quote was 13,500. 1500sq foot house,6 windows,3 doors

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Trying to decide what to do,built the house in 2007 this will be the first time painting since it was built. No idea on cost to paint. One vinyl quote was 13,500. 1500sq foot house,6 windows,3 doors
Painting has to be cheaper. My place is bigger than yours, two porches, one screened. Pressure wash, caulk, replace some trim and paint back original colors, quoted at $5500. Waiting to get to some nicer weather to start.

Mauser

Why would you want to put plastic on your hardie board? Just paint it! It is a lot more durable than plastic and looks a lot better.
That’s what everybody else says too. Only reason for me would be just to pressure wash once a year and done. But more than like we’re painting after the vinyl quote

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
That’s what everybody else says too. Only reason for me would be just to pressure wash once a year and done. But more than like we’re painting after the vinyl quote
Vinyl will burn ....Hardie not so much.I have replaced a lot of vinyl where the grill was to close to it and melted it.
If you have children that play outside a lot vinyl will eventually get brittle and crack if a ball or something else hits it hard enough.

Mauser

Painting has to be cheaper. My place is bigger than yours, two porches, one screened. Pressure wash, caulk, replace some trim and paint back original colors, quoted at $5500. Waiting to get to some nicer weather to start.
Ours is about as simple a house as you can get. Last year One jack leg quoted me 2000 and me furnish the paint and I ask him about pressure washing he said na it don’t need it just paint, so I wrote him off real quick.

My house has vinyl and it has been on there for 23 years only thing I have to do to it is pressure wash and clean it every 3 year s or so. I like low maintence and ease of doing things. Heck with having to pay 5 grand or so every 8 years nah I’m good. Like crakjak said it can get cracks from stuff hitting it. It’s easy to replace the piece and doesn’t cost much..

Mauser

Next question is what is your paint preference, I lean towards S/W duration but I’ve heard SW isn’t as good as it used to be. House was painted with porter paint originally and it has held up good but our local porter paint store closed

Mauser

My house has vinyl and it has been on there for 23 years only thing I have to do to it is pressure wash and clean it every 3 year s or so. I like low maintence and ease of doing things. Heck with having to pay 5 grand or so every 8 years nah I’m good. Like crakjak said it can get cracks from stuff hitting it. It’s easy to replace the piece and doesn’t cost much..
I’m the same way, I like paying once and basically done vs repainting every 7 or 8. But the price has swayed me a little lol. 13500 for standard,15900 for the board and batten vinyl we really want

Doug B.

It's plastic!!!! I have had three houses with plastic siding. It is the worst!!!! It looks bad. It gets chalky. It get brittle. It fades. It is never straight. It's plastic!

Hardie plank looks better. It is more durable. It don't get brittle. It is usually straight (I guess that depends on installer), and it looks good.

What is so hard about painting it every few years. Save some money. Paint it yourself!!! Better than vinyl (plastic)!!

ilbcnu

I'm 58 and have painted mine myself 3 times with 21 foot gables, 27 feet to chimney top. Las time in 2020. 6 gallons plus 2 gallons trim, case of caulk. 1800 bucks including brushes, naps, screens etc. Figure I got one more left in me. Borrow a ladder if know someone who has a 28 footer. Mine is also 1500 sq. Ft. That'd with sw paint and top of the line brushes. Don't skimp on brushes. Own my own pressure washer

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I'm 58 and have painted mine myself 3 times with 21 foot gables, 27 feet to chimney top. Las time in 2020. 6 gallons plus 2 gallons trim, case of caulk. 1800 bucks including brushes, naps, screens etc. Figure I got one more left in me. Borrow a ladder if know someone who has a 28 footer. Mine is also 1500 sq. Ft. That'd with sw paint and top of the line brushes. Don't skimp on brushes. Own my own pressure w

Im older and I when walked around this house initially I knew at first glance I’d never paint it. It’s a three story fall from the up stairs bedroom to the ground on the back side. No thank you.

ilbcnu

Sherwin Williams at home depot is not the same as from Sherwin Williams store. Get fade resistant and have the add a mold inhibiter. Take your time and make any repairs needed along the way. I even re screened all my window screens. Piece of cake, looks great

natureman

I had my 1500 sq ft. Hardie plank house re-painted last year. It was 3200 for powerwash, chaulking and 2 coats of SW by a well known company in my area. Paint on Hardie plank will last longer than you think. Mine lasted 17 years on the first paint job which I did myself.

Well one way to look at it is 16000 will get you about 20 plus years. I haven’t replaced mine yet and will let it go till hail beats it to pieces then insurance can replace it. If you spend 5 grand now in 7 or 8 years it’s gonna be more and so will it be 7 or 8 more years aswell. So in theory you’re making a long term investment. If you plan to live in this house for 20 plus years I would get the vinyl I wanted and be done with it. I would also suggest light colors as it’s gonna fade also. Mine is like a butter color neighbors is white his looks like it hasn’t changed.

I absolutely despise painting. I hate it when we repaint inside Mexican neighbor gonna do it. My ocd is to bad and I’m to much of a perfectionist it takes me forever to do stuff like that and causes me so much anxiety. That’s another reason vinyl works for me

Duff

Shouldn’t be a question. No way I would cover my Hardi with plastic. Used the best paint I could get when I built. Original paint still looks good, almost 22 years later

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Sherwin Williams at home depot is not the same as from Sherwin Williams store. Get fade resistant and have the add a mold inhibiter. Take your time and make any repairs needed along the way. I even re screened all my window screens. Piece of cake, looks great
This ....this.......this......
SW I'd more expensive than the Big box stores.
I get more and better coverage as well as longevity from SW than any other paint I have used besides Porter .
All the big job painters residential painters I have worked with use SW.
You do get what you pay for.