Paying NCAA players. The first domino falls.

RipperIII

I'm not sure whats busting your rear to achieve your goals has to do with entitlement.
and this is the crux of the argument you posit..."who benefits most from playing"...the school? which is your argument, or the athlete,? which is most others position.
as i mentioned earlier, your bias prevents you from logically noodling this out.
if the value lies in the athlete, fine, send him straight to the pros...no college, no education, no maturation,...straight from HS to protraining camp

the "entitlement " part comes from the athletes who deny the value of all theyre given by the school and instead believe they, individually are driving $$$ to the schools...which is self centered, and erroneous, enrollment, donor $$$, merchandise, media...ALL driven by TEAM branding,...not Star players.
THAT is the unvarnished TRUTH

Last edited:

RipperIII

. You are making my point again. They are already being paid via scholarship room board etc. Now that you agree they are not amateurs let the compensation negotiations begin. Like any other profession.
other students are "paid" scholarships, room and board as well for academic achievement...thats a silly position

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Like any other profession.

Profession??

So why not pay high school players? How about a percentage of concession stand sales?

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
. You are making my point again. They are already being paid via scholarship room board etc. Now that you agree they are not amateurs let the compensation negotiations begin. Like any other profession.

And they are FAIRLY compensated. No negotiating necessary. Let alone have a bunch of Liberal idiots tell them their business. And just like burger flippers that think they deserve a "living wage" College sports is not intended to be a profession. It like burger flipping is intended to gain skills, work ethic, experience, etc. to improve your resume so you can get that job that pays a REAL living wage

RipperIII

DD, makes a very good point...the opportunity for the athlete to mature, grow, learn without the added pressure of negotiating contracts, added pressure to perform...just think about the boos and gripes raining down on a paid player for dropping a game winning pass. missing a FG, etc....no longer can you make the excuse..."hes just a kid"...nah, he's a pro.

unintended consequences

nickel back

Why not. That's how every other profession works. It's not always the money. Future advancement, geographic location, family ties, lifestyle etc are also considerations. Just like any other profession.

You do understand that all these young men will all try to go where the most money can be made, do you understand the effects of pay for play will do to Recruitment.

Schools like GSU would get left behind

RipperIII

You do understand that all these young men will all try to go where the most money can be made, do you understand the effects of pay for play will do to Recruitment.

Schools like GSU would get left behind
as would 65% of all the other institutions along wit a STEEP decline in revenue per school resulting in less scholarships, pooer equipment/facilities and eventually less opportunities for kids to play ball

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I'm glad y'all know what's best for someone else. Nanny state for the win.

Next thing we'll hear from you is that we should give everyone a National Championship ring just for playing the game.. Like participation trophies..

TomC

Pro sports are separate entities governed as such where 100% of participants are compensated which is the polar opposite scenario of trying to implement something similar at the NCAA level where you have a myriad of sports (male and female) under a single athletic department.

Liberals are the best at coming up with ideas that sound great on the surface, are based on emotion as opposed to reality, fail to take into consideration the complexities and issues that will MOST CERTAINLY arise and are NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE to implement even though the idea makes sense. That’s exactly what this idea is. Stop and think JUST A TAD beyond the basic idea of all that would be involved in putting something like this into play!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I am as big a fan as there is, but see the reality.

I see the reality clearly. That's why I added that last sentence. I'm tired of waiting for them to go ahead and trash amateur athletics completely. I want them to go ahead and do it. That way I won't have any team sports to get worked up over and I can fully enjoy my time in the woods and on the water without any foolish team sport distractions.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
and this is the crux of the argument you posit..."who benefits most from playing"...the school? which is your argument, or the athlete,? which is most others position.
as i mentioned earlier, your bias prevents you from logically noodling this out.
if the value lies in the athlete, fine, send him straight to the pros...no college, no education, no maturation,...straight from HS to protraining camp

the "entitlement " part comes from the athletes who deny the value of all theyre given by the school and instead believe they, individually are driving $$$ to the schools...which is self centered, and erroneous, enrollment, donor $$$, merchandise, media...ALL driven by TEAM branding,...not Star players.
THAT is the unvarnished TRUTH

Preach it Rip.:rockon:

weagle

I hope everyone bookmarks this page to come back in 2 years and show me how wrong I was.

Hint: That's going to happen.

The gears are already turning. I promise not to say I told you so :cool:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I hope everyone bookmarks this page to come back in 2 years and show me how wrong I was.

It won't be me because outside of maybe the Braves I won't be participating in any CFB threads in here because CFB will no longer interest me.

Matthew6

Banned thug
It won't be me because outside of maybe the Braves I won't be participating in any CFB threads in here because CFB will no longer interest me.
So you will turn your back on your beloved mutts. Dang. What’s the world coming too. ?

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way

With enough touchy feely liberal idiots like you around it might happen and we may have to.

And 5yrs after that we'll be back to remind you that WE told YOU what would happen to college athletics in general and CFB in particular if it did come to pass.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
So you will turn your back on your beloved mutts. Dang. What’s the world coming too. ?

Not just the mutts. I'll be turning my back on the next to last team sport I have any interest in. Baseball will be all that's left and it's over before the rut hits so no worries here.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten

Do you ever spend a second without thinking about the Dawgs. Obsessive comes to mind.