Transfer portal, NILs, Death of the NCAA etc

weagle

The farce that the NCAA has been getting away with for a very long time; that big time college football is an amateur sport, is over.

As I have been saying for years, the only folks not able to negotiate the fair market value of their skills are the athletes. The NCAA had a monopoly on their talent and they were barred from even hiring legal representation. The Coaches, Athletic department, Universities, stadiums, vendors, sellers of merchandise, Sports media etc all are part of the free market that they were barring the actual talent from having access to.

The NCAA had many chance to get out in front of this and admit the obvious, that big time college football is a profession, and they arrogantly dug in their heels.

In the next few years, College football will transform into a league of college associated pro teams that have the same relationship to the university that the Atlanta Braves have to the city of Atlanta. They will try to keep the end product , Saturday college football, looking the same to the fans, but the structure behind the teams and the money is going to change rapidly. No longer will college players only have the NFL to look to for that golden ticket, but their monetary value for the years that they play at a university will go way up. Hint: it won't be the value of a scholarship and room and board, probably average 6 figures for an SEC school.

In return, universities will form a league, much like minor league baseball where they sign non compete contracts with players and have league wide agreements on player transfers. This will also control movement to the NFL. ie You want to sign my star QB to the Falcons, this is what it will cost you.

It's coming. this is not a guess.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
And Auburn will stay in the shadows.

bullgator

Yes, let’s pay those with the lowest average entrance scores.

weagle

If you believe the colleges or NCAA have any interest in educating players, you would be incorrect. The entire system is built on that farce and that is one of many reasons it is going to be replaced with a professional organization.

Doboy Dawg

Many colleges are doing away with entrance exams. The exams have been deemed racist. Instead they want a list of your community involvement, how many hours you volunteered at Sally’s Soup kitchen etc.

So kids like my daughter who academically busted her butt in high school, along with tons of extra curricular volunteer hours, will no longer be vetted by academic achievement.

The academically challenged will be given equal opportunity for those scholarships, like the one my daughter earned for Mercer.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Many colleges are doing away with entrance exams. The exams have been deemed racist. Instead they want a list of your community involvement, how many hours you volunteered at Sally’s Soup kitchen etc.

So kids like my daughter who academically busted her butt in high school, along with tons of extra curricular volunteer hours, will no longer be vetted by academic achievement.

The academically challenged will be given equal opportunity for those scholarships, like the one my daughter earned for Mercer.

This is just insane!

bullgator

If you believe the colleges or NCAA have any interest in educating players, you would be incorrect. The entire system is built on that farce and that is one of many reasons it is going to be replaced with a professional organization.
Then let’s not promote the farce any further……..do away with college sports.

bullgator

Kinda has racist elements to it…wouldn’t you say.

Beehaw

The OP makes great points, but you bring up another one: We have seen college football transform into something that isn't college football, basically because the NCAA/Schools viewed the entire system as a revenue generator for them.

It is plain to see that the academic side of the schools sees students as a bottomless pit of money to exploit. Just compare the rate of growth of tuition against income over the last decade. The government student loans only make it easier to exploit.

I have thought for some time that colleges have jumped the shark, on their own, and don't even realize it.

atlashunter

It was inevitable due to the popularity of college football. The big schools with deep pockets will dominate the rest.

kingfish

That ESPN 30 For 30 on SMU back in the day where they interviewed all those rich oil guys about "if they want to have a spendin' contest, we can have a spendin' contest" is where college football is arriving at. Read where recruits are sitting down with the whole family in front of the coach wanting to know who the top boosters are, how much they plan on contributing to the individual players NIL etc. I bet that is an absolute joy listening to all the demands. Watching the giant booster ego's and wallets clash with the NIL entitled greed of the players, and then mix in gambling !!! ??? The implosion may just be more exciting than any of the games.

weagle

It was inevitable due to the popularity of college football. The big schools with deep pockets will dominate the rest.

It will be in the league's best interest to keep the competition level high, so they will figure out league rules to even things out to a certain extent. I expect that in the top league there will be the SEC plus 2 or 3 more conferences. Maybe 60 schools total. The other schools where the programs are non revenue generating will probably remain mostly unchanged.

weagle

How long until it comes to high school?

I'm not against any person of any age being compensated for their talents, and they definitely should not be barred by Government or institutions from profiting from them. However for the most part, minors can't enter into contracts so it would fall on the parents to manage that process. There are a lot of things that can go very wrong just like with young actors and musicians, but I trust individuals over Government and institutions to deal with that.

weagle

Then let’s not promote the farce any further……..do away with college sports.

That is basically the point of my OP. "College" Football will be replaced with a College affiliated pro league.

ETA I am speaking specifically of the revenue generation sports. Football at the big programs and in some cases Men's Basketball.

bullgator

That is basically the point of my OP. "College" Football will be replaced with a College affiliated pro league.

ETA I am speaking specifically of the revenue generation sports. Football at the big programs and in some cases Men's Basketball.
How exactly does that work?

srb

How long until it comes to high school?

Its already here, There is tons of money floating through some schools..Same concepts.

Big Big money donors ..Putting families up,Moving them right to the door steps..Cars houses etc.Even so called loans..