Transfer portal, NILs, Death of the NCAA etc

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
If I'm not mistake that was the key reason for GHSA reclassifying some small private schools athletic programs to 6A and 7A.

The late speaker of the Ga House, Tom Murphy got that ball rolling. His daughter was a debate coach and a small private school always caused her team to be the first loser.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
The late speaker of the Ga House, Tom Murphy got that ball rolling. His daughter was a debate coach and a small private school always caused her team to be the first loser.
Folks would be surprised how much of a role politics plays a role in their daily lives

GTMODawg

BANNED
Many colleges are doing away with entrance exams. The exams have been deemed racist. Instead they want a list of your community involvement, how many hours you volunteered at Sally’s Soup kitchen etc.

So kids like my daughter who academically busted her butt in high school, along with tons of extra curricular volunteer hours, will no longer be vetted by academic achievement.

The academically challenged will be given equal opportunity for those scholarships, like the one my daughter earned for Mercer.

A state funded University should have an open admissions policy for any student graduating from a state funded high school. It should be the coursework which weeds out the people unable to meet the demands and the coursework should be rigorous and in line with what a state funded high school requires of a graduate. There should be no or almost no remdial course work at a University....if a potential student needs remedial work there are ample opportunities at community colleges and technical schools. Texas does this....if you graduate with a minimum GPA in a core curriculum from a state funded high school OR an accredited private school you have a spot at one of the state's university. Those with higher GPAs and high test scores go to "better" academic schools like UT Austen while places like Texas Tech will take all in state high school graduates. There is not much need for remedial studies because the public school system in Texas is excellent at preparing students for college. The curriculum in college weeds out anyone who is incapable or unwilling to meet the demands. Private schools can do whatever the choose but a school which is funded by taxpayers should be accessible to the children of taxpayers and they should be encouraged to make it on grit and determination with the knowledge that they are not entitled to anything other than a chance to prove their mettle.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Many colleges are doing away with entrance exams. The exams have been deemed racist. Instead they want a list of your community involvement, how many hours you volunteered at Sally’s Soup kitchen etc.

So kids like my daughter who academically busted her butt in high school, along with tons of extra curricular volunteer hours, will no longer be vetted by academic achievement.

The academically challenged will be given equal opportunity for those scholarships, like the one my daughter earned for Mercer.

Your daughter earned far more from her hard work than placement in a university....that kind of effort pays HUGE dividends above and beyond what a college education can ever afford one. She is so far above most kids her age that she will have a multitude of opportunities in life, which she has the skill set to evaluate and make the most of, which a kid who floated through high school and gets a free ride in college will never have the sense to take advantage of, let alone be offered. I take your point but the goal should have been the ultimate goal...being a successful, happy, well adjusted adult....and if she has done what you say she has done she has a tremendous advantage above and beyond acceptance into a university. With those skills and that work ethic she will wind up in a better place before age 30 than 99% of the kids she is competing with for college acceptance no matter where she lands. You and she did a good job!

weagle

If you are paying attention today to the early signing you can plainly see that what I posted in the OP is playing out.

Also if you saw what happened with the nation's top recruit and Jax state, you will understand why the major Football programs are going to get a handle on the Pro "college" league sooner rather than later. They want to be able to keep the top talent in the most profitable leagues.

FootLongDawg

I can understand the sentiment, but Big time college football jumped that shark at least 25 years ago. At least the new system will be honest(ish). You have to stick your head in the sand to believe the current system is Amateur sports. At best it is a plantation system.

Plantation?????. PLEASE. When did slaves get a chance at a college education, superior room and board, a chance to make millions of dollars, adoration from millions of white fans, the ability to change "masters " if you are not happy with your current one and on and on. Long way from plantation.

weagle

Chiz is partly right. It will be $100K / player, but the brakes will be whatever the new pro league decides is right to keep the competition level where it needs to be to maintain the competition and revenue flow.

Plus in the real world that $200K education is worth jack to 80% of the players who aren't academically gifted enough to benefit from it. Chiz wants to keep the Plantation system in place where the owners get rich and legally prohibit the talent from participating in the free market.

Don't even get me started on why a state school education costs $200K due to guaranteed student loans to people who couldn't qualify for a $500 credit card.

Last edited:

weagle

Plantation?????. PLEASE. When did slaves get a chance at a college education, superior room and board, a chance to make millions of dollars, adoration from millions of white fans, the ability to change "masters " if you are not happy with your current one and on and on. Long way from plantation.

So your argument is that as long as it is a nice plantation all's good? Why does anyone in a free country get to decide they can legally prohibit someone else from selling their talents for what they are worth?

The very fact that as soon as it was legal, College players started getting millions in NIL Is proof that they are worth much more than what the system has allowed them to earn.

GTMODawg

BANNED
NIL is merely capitalism doing what it does. Money is ALL that matters, the only logical venue to determine what is important without emotion being involved. It is as American as apple pie and the 4th of July. What is truly amazing is that it has taken this long for market forces to begin to impact the game. I don’t like it either but it is the logical path that everything in the US eventually takes

FootLongDawg

So your argument is that as long as it is a nice plantation all's good? Why does anyone in a free country get to decide they can legally prohibit someone else from selling their talents for what they are worth?

The very fact that as soon as it was legal, College players started getting millions in NIL Is proof that they are worth much more than what the system has allowed them to earn.

My argument is it isn't plantation at all, naughty or nice there Lebron

atlashunter

Plantations depended on slaves which is the implication you make when using that term. These players are not slaves. Every one of them of their own free will agrees to the deal being offered and are free to walk and go put their talents to work elsewhere. Not saying you don't have some valid points but your terminology is over the top.

bullgator

Chiz is partly right. It will be $100K / player, but the brakes will be whatever the new pro league decides is right to keep the competition level where it needs to be to maintain the competition and revenue flow.

Plus in the real world that $200K education is worth jack to 80% of the players who aren't academically gifted enough to benefit from it. Chiz wants to keep the Plantation system in place where the owners get rich and legally prohibit the talent from participating in the free market.

Don't even get me started on why a state school education costs $200K due to guaranteed student loans to people who couldn't qualify for a $500 credit card.
So you think this new league will institute salary caps?

Thank you for reinforcing my point about the majority of the players not having access to this educational opportunity based on their academics and financial standings. I’ve been saying this from the beginning.

Can you answer how long these players are going to be able to play in this minor league? If they can stay longer than the normal 3-5 years of a student-athlete, they will create a traffic jam for new talent coming out of high school. How will that play out?

AugustaDawg

So you think this new league will institute salary caps?

Thank you for reinforcing my point about the majority of the players not having access to this educational opportunity based on their academics and financial standings. I’ve been saying this from the beginning.

Can you answer how long these players are going to be able to play in this minor league? If they can stay longer than the normal 3-5 years of a student-athlete, they will create a traffic jam for new talent coming out of high school. How will that play out?
There is already a major traffic jam for high school seniors. They are not only competing against all the other seniors, now they have over 1,000 transfers in the portal. I saw numerous scouts recommending to these kids to take any offer they had on the 15th because of the number in the portal.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
There is already a major traffic jam for high school seniors. They are not only competing against all the other seniors, now they have over 1,000 transfers in the portal. I saw numerous scouts recommending to these kids to take any offer they had on the 15th because of the number in the portal.
That makes the prices go down don’t it?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Latest posts