Processor's Full In south Georgia

sorrydog

Many processors in south Georgia are full and not taking any deer right now. Going to be a rough Thanksgiving for some folks in getting their deer clean.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Going to be a rough Thanksgiving for some folks in getting their deer clean.

Is that really where we are now? Folks have become so dependent on others to do things for them that they could very easily do themselves. If your local processor being full makes it "rough" on you, perhaps you need to step back and reevaluate your priorities.

drewskyc

Is that really where we are now? Folks have become so dependent on others to do things for them that they could very easily do themselves. If your local processor being full makes it "rough" on you, perhaps you need to step back and reevaluate your priorities.

Good night! Didn't we just have this debate the other week? Some people prefer the processor for whatever reasons. Yes it is more fulfilling and satisfying to process your own deer, but some people don't want to do it for whatever reason. Family commitments, limited space, disabled, etc etc.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Good night! Didn't we just have this debate the other week? Some people prefer the processor for whatever reasons. Yes it is more fulfilling and satisfying to process your own deer, but some people don't want to do it for whatever reason. Family commitments, limited space, disabled, etc etc.

This^^^
We have had this “discussion” a few dozen times in the last 18 years.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Double like.

drewskyc

I think one benefit of at least pointing out on this board that processors are full in certain areas may prompt some people to get more proactive about picking up their deer. I suppose what rankles some people is the characterization from the original poster of "making it rough" on people if they can't drop their deer off. But it could be true, again if someone cannot process their own deer.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I walk in many processors many times a year. The same ol ones stink to high heaven and the others are professional clean spotless and nice.
I may use one of the nicer ones someday out of some convenience such as temperature or timing but those that always always stink can forget any of my business. I do my own thanks because I want mine FRESH and CLEAN.

Last edited:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
This^^^
We have had this “discussion” a few dozen times in the last 18 years.

I understand people liking the convenience of a processor, but when your processor being full creates a hardship for you, I think something is off.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I check with the local processor before I shoot the deer.:type::eek2::biggestshoot::stir:
Yeah me too by looking for the room in my freezer. If I say it’ll fit well most of it will and I begin grinding the rest so it all will. 24 hour turn around and back in the woods looking for a bigger buck.
I don’t want you touching my ground venison with them hands.
It’s too good for you! Lol

sowgabuckstalker

Yep, shot 2 does the other day and was very luck to get mine in. They said they full in 5 counties, and I dont think its a case where folks are picking their deer up, they just straight up over booked!

And for all thats bashing folks for "NDIY", its all circumstance. Like me for example, I have a close friend who owns deer cooler, he pays his kids 15 a deer to clean it and all, which I am happy to do. I have cleaned my share of deer as a kid and happy/enjoy doing it not when I have the time, which is a rarity with young kids.

catch22

I read thru this thread thats been hashed out a hundred times on this forum and it still gets me that people get bashed for using a processor. To each their own and its legal to do. I love how some folks pick and choose the "conveniences in outdoors" that fit them and then turn around and get onto someone for choosing to use a different "convenience".

Example....I use 25 trail cameras and my computer to help me scout deer and thats ok....but having someone else process your deer isnt ....thats crazy!

the only hunter that can bash is someone on here who still hunts with a sharp stick and loin cloth and cuts deer with sharpened flint and cooks all of their meat over an open fire.........then they can bash.....and there aint none of them on here

Those that use other advancements to help them shouldn't be so judgmental for what other folks use.

I absolutely love using a processor......call me lazy, call me "not one with the deer", call me irresponsible........I could care less. Its my choice and as long as that convenience is still available I will continue

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Are there less processors this year as compared tothe past? Or does the cost keep someone from picking it up, that might be living paycheck to paycheck and not have the cash when it comes time to pay the man?

$75 (+) will hurt alot of folks wallet these days.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
$75 (+) will hurt alot of folks wallet these days.

Those are the ones that need to DIY and keep that $75 in their pocket.:wink:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I'm not bashing anyone for using a processor. I just picked up a deer from my local one over the weekend. It's a matter of convenience. If I kill it late in the evening and weather isn't conducive to me working it up, I'll drop it off at the processor.

I don't care if you use a processor 100% of the time. It doesn't bother me. I just think it's a skill a man who calls himself a hunter ought to know. Even though most men pay for the service, I think every man ought to know how to change his own oil. I think every man ought to be able and willing to sight in his own rifle, but I've had tons ask me to do it for them. Nothing wrong with convenience. But don't let the skill slip away.