PROPER MANNERS OR PET PEEVE

whchunter

I often notice that when 2 people are having a personal conversation other individuals feel it's perfectly acceptable to interrupt. What's worse is the person doesnt say excuse me or I'm sorry or provide any explanation for the interruption. What makes people feel that without knowing the importance of the existing conversation that their conversation is more important?
Same with phone calls. Why if we are involved in a one on one conversation do we accept a phone call no matter who it's from? I only do so if it's a immediate family member and when I call I always try to start my conversation by saying are you busy. What's your thoughts?

Big7

The Oracle
Most people I call on the phone will recognize me by my heavy Southern accent so I open with:

"What's happening? Can you talk"?

They know that to mean do you have the time to talk and is anyone around close enough to over hear the conversation.. In other words, privacy.

earlthegoat2

I think it is bad manners personally but this is what everyone is up against:

The world tells us we need to be more social but then chastises when we don’t do it right. We apparently need to be humble as well but also have to build our brand on social media. These are pressures society puts on us these days no matter how small.

When someone calls me and then asks if I am busy….well I’m on the phone now with them so I guess not. If I was busy I wouldn’t have answered.

Anvil Head

I think it is bad manners personally but this is what everyone is up against:

The world tells us we need to be more social but then chastises when we don’t do it right. We apparently need to be humble as well but also have to build our brand on social media. These are pressures society puts on us these days no matter how small.

When someone calls me and then asks if I am busy….well I’m on the phone now with them so I guess not. If I was busy I wouldn’t have answered.
That's me, I carry the phone to be able to communicate when I so desire. But, I won't answer if I'm engaged in conversation with someone. I work with my hands and nothing is so important that I feel the need to wear a silly earpiece. Leave a message and name, I might call you back.

Sadly, interrupting has become a way of life. Same issue goes with walk-in versus drive through. Counter orders are getting ridiculous and to make it worse try paying in cash.

Redbow

I can remember a time when I was a kid interrupting a grown up while they were talking might get a belt put onto your back side. Now its just a normal thing to do for anyone. Its very rude IMO to interrupt anyone while they are talking without saying, pardon me or excuse me.

Its a proper manners thing for me which is very lacking with a lot of folks of today.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Some people will talk so incessantly without recognizing that you have a counterpoint or a question that you have to interrupt them or just walk away...
If I am waiting on service from a person in a place of business who is on a personal phone call without saying 'excuse me I have to get back to my job', I will interrupt them every time unless they in an obviously urgent or important convo.
Both pet peeves of mine.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Manners. My son NEVER takes his phone out of his pocket when he is with others. If works calls him he will excuse himself and walk outside or in another room.

SarahFair

People that answer the phone in the middle of a conversation are RUDE and I have lost a lot of respect for those that do.
There is a difference when excusing yourself, "I'm sorry, it's my spouse/kid/boss", or are in a group setting and quietly walk away, but when people just pick it up mid conversion... baffling.

Another pet peeve of mine are people that read their smart watches during the middle of a conversation.
I have watched a ton of people do this mid conversion with another and trust me, nothing makes one look more self involved and uninteresting than someone who is so addicted to devices they can't even hold a 5 minute conversion. :rolleyes:

Triple C

People that answer the phone in the middle of a conversation are RUDE and I have lost a lot of respect for those that do.
There is a difference when excusing yourself, "I'm sorry, it's my spouse/kid/boss", or are in a group setting and quietly walk away, but when people just pick it up mid conversion... baffling.

Another pet peeve of mine are people that read their smart watches (or phones) during the middle of a conversation.
I have watched a ton of people do this mid conversion with another and trust me, nothing makes one look more self involved and uninteresting than someone who is so addicted to devices they can't even hold a 5 minute conversion.
:rolleyes:
Amen sister!

Dialer

Went into Batteries Plus in Douglasville to get battery for my watch. 2 black men were having a casual conversation, one being the store operator. I patiently waited for the conversation to end, but it lagged on and on for like 8 minutes. Lots of laughing and total ignorance of my presence. I finally butted in, saying, “excuse me please, but could you help me with a battery?”. The store employee looked at me as if I had just threatened his life and sai “Can’t you see me talking to this man?” To wit I exclaimed “Can’t you see me walking out this door!” I HATE Douglasville!

Dr. Strangelove

Happens all the time at a local watering hole I frequent. I'm over it. I've started just dropping whatever I was talking about. Walk by and say 'Hey" is one thing, full on interrupt an obvious conversation - rude. They want to start the conversation back up I say "I guess I was done."

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I can’t stand when I realize the person I’m talking to isn’t listening. I just stop. When I realize you do t care about what I’m saying and are just waiting on your turn to talk I’m done. And if you interrupt me very much I’ll just start talking over you. I don’t do these things to other people and I ask the same from them.

oldfella1962

Went into Batteries Plus in Douglasville to get battery for my watch. 2 black men were having a casual conversation, one being the store operator. I patiently waited for the conversation to end, but it lagged on and on for like 8 minutes. Lots of laughing and total ignorance of my presence. I finally butted in, saying, “excuse me please, but could you help me with a battery?”. The store employee looked at me as if I had just threatened his life and sai “Can’t you see me talking to this man?” To wit I exclaimed “Can’t you see me walking out this door!” I HATE Douglasville!
I've never been to Douglasville, but I just googled the demographics. :cautious:
I'm not surprised at your experience there.

Mars

I encountered one of my pet peeves earlier today. People that leave their vehicles parked at the pump and then go inside the store. It's extremely inconsiderate and especially when the pumps are full. These folks are ranked right there with the sorry folks that are too lazy to return their shopping carts and leave them wherever in the parking lot

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I encountered one of my pet peeves earlier today. People that leave their vehicles parked at the pump and then go inside the store. It's extremely inconsiderate and especially when the pumps are full. These folks are ranked right there with the sorry folks that are too lazy to return their shopping carts and leave them wherever in the parking lot
That how ya tell who the sorrybutts are who dont even have debit or credit card ta stick in the pump and hafta wait til they go inside and pay cash for gas, cigs, and then figger out how many lotto tickets they can buy with the change.
C'mon man!