Property line hunting again……..

rugerfan

I hunt public, but a few spots I have been hunting are near property lines of private land. I know exactly where the lines are, and I do not shoot towards the private property.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
How many of you know that is against the law for your bullet to leave the property that you have permission to hunt on, or land that you lease or own?
Straight from the hunter's safety course:
  • From the National Shooting Sports Foundation’s (NSSF) 2007 Industry Intelligence Reports, these are the most common causes of hunting incidents:
    • Failure to identify the target (15.5%)
    • Shooter swinging on game (12.8%)
    • Careless handling of a firearm (11.4%)
    • Victim out of sight of the shooter (8.3%)

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Cell camera installation to send you alert in near real time the person is active on / near property line. Might give you time to head that way to introduce yourself.
That’s a good thought!! Thanks!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Back during the summer we found a climber on our side of the fence…..we removed it and left a note on the tree indicating we have no intentions of doing anything except ensuring we are all in agreement on where the property line is - which is obvious, it’s a fence and in this particular area the pipe markers marking the line are in the ground painted red.

No one ever claimed the climber. Last week I discovered two lock on stands on the same tree, dead on the property line……..one lock on facing their property and the other about 5 foot higher facing me. They have a home made feeder sitting against the fence. They could be filming, who knows.

This is 30 yards from a ladder stand I have. My stand is 30 yards from the fence with the back to the fence and in clear view.

I left a note on their feeder to call me. I stated “I realize you have every right to hunt your entire property, but safety is more important to me and it’s obvious that your set up isn’t considering safety and sportsmanship towards others. I will gladly move my stand if you’re interested in hunting that location but I’m concerned about you facing my property when I have a tower stand deeper in the woods less than 60 yards just on the other side of the thicket. I would like to remind you that we now have multiple trail cams in the area since we discovered a climber on our property”.

Today I checked it, the note is gone.

As far as I know nothing illegal has taken place. I’m trying to be civil with this and keep safety as my priority. There’s a way we can both hunt this area without him facing my back. My gut feeling tells me I’m going to have problems with this cat. If that’s the case, I’ll leave him alone and hook him up with Irish soap bars every 3 foot on my side of the fence and probably build a wooden ladder stand facing him about 4 foot from his feeder.

Funny you should mention that. I got a neighbor poaching one of my food plots.

Jack Flynn

Shouldn't have a complaint. You're hunting on the line 30 yds from their stand. Just sayin

RipperIII

We have a timber lease which is bordered by several private properties.
We have had on occasion a stand or 3 on our property very close to the line.
We normally leave a note and flagging...and that has been sufficient for the owners to relocate...however, we have had a few poachers over the years,...DNR has taken care of most of them, one was a local LEO...that was a little more tricky...

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Shouldn't have a complaint. You're hunting on the line 30 yds from their stand. Just sayin
My complaint is his stand is facing my property - meaning any of his shots will either be straight down the property line left or right which is fine as long as it’s on his side, or straight on me which is not fine. I don’t think you’d be happy with that, either. His back is to his property. In the air he’s actually on my side of the line, his spitting straight down would land 3 feet on my side of the line. I could care less if he hunted there and I’m willing to let him have the spot, he can stay on the same tree, but at least face his property.

And as mentioned earlier, it doesn’t matter where you hunt, property line or same property, you don’t set up right under another man just because you have the right to do so. Common courtesy and respect isn’t regulated - it’s taught and learned from your elders and passed on. This cat just moved in here recently. This isn’t like close to the line, the fence line is the property line, he’s hunting on a tree that has fencing on it and in reality a portion of that tree is actually on my side of line according to the property pens right there at it.

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I guess my question is other than forgetting the area, what other “civil” options would you take when a person won’t reach back out to work with you?
Do like a certain doctor did in our area several years ago. He had this same problem. He bought the biggest tarp he could find and hung it up (on his side of the line) and blocked the persons view of his property.

basshappy

BANNED
If he is over the property line on your property when in the air cut him down like a tree limb that Georgia legally allows to be cut at the property line! ;)

Is the stand on the tree over your property line? If it is I would have the sheriff make a visit. After ine attempt to resolve this 1 to 1.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Do like a certain doctor did in our area several years ago. He had this same problem. He bought the biggest tarp he could find and hung it up (on his side of the line) and blocked the persons view of his property.
I’m trying to make friends first…….but as a last resort I’m hanging a ladder stand on a tree that’s 5 foot from his feeder.

I do like the tarp idea lol. And, I thought about parking my side by side next to his feeder.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
If he is over the property line on your property when in the air cut him down like a tree limb that Georgia legally allows to be cut at the property line! ;)

Is the stand on the tree over your property line? If it is I would have the sheriff make a visit. After ine attempt to resolve this 1 to 1.
About 1/4 of the tree is on my side. The rest is on his side. Technically he’s about a foot on my side of the line since his stand is facing me. If he fell out he’d land on my dirt.

Right now until I actually meet him, I plan to just lay low. How he acts after we meet will determine my next move.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
It's a good practice to try to be friendly and communicate with your neighboring property owners. If they know where you hunt on yours and you know where they hunt on theirs, it could mean the difference between someone getting accidentally shot. We read about accidents like this every few years and I'd hate it to happen to anyone but especially someone we know on the forum.

buckpasser

It's a good practice to try to be friendly and communicate with your neighboring property owners. If they know where you hunt on yours and you know where they hunt on theirs, it could mean the difference between someone getting accidentally shot. We read about accidents like this every few years and I'd hate it to happen to anyone but especially someone we know on the forum.

In this case the guy is hunting on the OP’s land, so I think that qualifies this for a not so nice approach. If the guy’s stand was completely on my land, as SL says it is, I’d remove it from the tree and lay it down on their side.