Ram 1500 owners

Mars

Mine is a 2017 1500 4x4. I put on a rough country leveling kit and 34in tires. I've got no complaints with my ride quality.

My dad has a 2014 ram 2500 and that thing will rattle your teeth. I think the frame is bolted directly to the axel.

Tight Lines

The trend of large diameter wheels and skinny rubber is something I've never understood, and manufacturers have leaned that way in recent years also, I researched the reasons why at one point, and don't remember off the top of my head what I found, but its somewhat related to cost and to rolling resistance I believe

I've driven really nice luxury model trucks and cars with 20 or 22 inch rims and 35 or 45 profile tires that rode like a buckboard wagon, no way I would own one that rode like that !
I think the trend is Americans like it first of all, and it's a profitable upgrade for them...

For the big trucks and SUVs, as they've gotten bigger and heavier, the brakes have had to get bigger...so the wheels have to as well...and the speed ratings require lower profile tires to obtain the higher speed ratings even though many are still governed at 105.

So that combination is driving the big wheel / shorter sidewall...which also drives the rough ride. Basically many big trucks and SUVs have a similar sidewall to a sports car these days...

transfixer

I think the trend is Americans like it first of all, and it's a profitable upgrade for them...

For the big trucks and SUVs, as they've gotten bigger and heavier, the brakes have had to get bigger...so the wheels have to as well...and the speed ratings require lower profile tires to obtain the higher speed ratings even though many are still governed at 105.

So that combination is driving the big wheel / shorter sidewall...which also drives the rough ride. Basically many big trucks and SUVs have a similar sidewall to a sports car these days...

Other than the larger diameter brake rotors there is no positive to that trend , but consumers buy on looks and " coolness" factor more than practicality anyway.

There is a shop close to where I am working now that specializes in lift kits on "pavement princess" type trucks, especially the "south caroline squat" lift kits ,,, which is not only ridiculous but actually unsafe ! yet they stay busy with customers ? Makes no sense , and the people that work there agree its a stupid modification, but people want it ! and they're making plenty money doing it for them!

BeerThirty

I have a 2019 Ram as well. Is yours the new model or classic?

Mine is the new Ram with the off-road group upgrade, which supposedly came with off-road tuned shocks. I don't really know what that means, but my suspension is very hard-riding. I figured and off-road tuned suspension would be the opposite.

tr21

The trend of large diameter wheels and skinny rubber is something I've never understood, and manufacturers have leaned that way in recent years also, I researched the reasons why at one point, and don't remember off the top of my head what I found, but its somewhat related to cost and to rolling resistance I believe

I've driven really nice luxury model trucks and cars with 20 or 22 inch rims and 35 or 45 profile tires that rode like a buckboard wagon, no way I would own one that rode like that !
the reason they went to the skinny rubber was so they could make the tires cheaper for the consumer !!! less rubber means cheaper tires :unsure: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: just like changing to higher efficiency light bulbs and appliances lowers the amount of electricity you use and that lowers your electric bill, RIGHT ! you have to remember they're just trying to help you save money :bounce::bounce::bounce:
but my 2014 ecodiesel rides better than any truck I've ever owned ! wouldn't trade it on any new truck made today....

MudDucker

Staff member
Want a real capable suspension, check out these guys. They are in Atlanta area.

My link went away ... it is Fox Suspensions.

Last edited:

ChidJ

It is noteworthy, since lots of folks are saying theirs rode fine, 2019 was a generational change in these trucks so my 2016 (which rode fine but was a ticking time bomb) is not quite the same as the 2019 referenced.

MudDucker

Staff member
Please, if you are jacking up the front of your truck, self report yourself.

Jack Flynn

I've got a 2017 1500 big horn and it is, after probably 10 trucks by far the best riding truck/vehicle I've ever been in. I drove every truck available when I bought it and there was no comparison at all in the comfort and ride. Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Nissan......... don't even hold a candle to it. Just got a brand new 23 Ford 4X4 pickup here at work and you couldn't give me that thing with a lifetime supply of fuel.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have an 18 2500 4X4, and it rides rough, but I expected it. The 2500's have an alarm for the air pressure if it drops below 80PSI, so hard tires, hard ride. If you hook a trailer or camper behind it, it sure smooths out the ride. But empty... not a good riding truck

On my other trucks, I have discovered that the Michelins give me the best ride and best wear of any tire I have tried

transfixer

I guess it all depends on what you buy a truck for ? trucks used for hauling or for work will need to have a stiff suspension and will need to use tires with stiff sidewalls that require higher tire pressure, they will as a result ride fairly rough, trucks used as simply cars or grocery getters can ride smooth I suppose