NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Fine looking bunch of eats, JHannah!

naildrvr

Y'all's abuncha showoff's !!!!
But I like it; I'm ready to eat again after lookin' around in here :rockon:

Dub

So......here it is. This is the exact meal that brought me to Paymaster's Outdoor Cooking forum those many years ago.

My young family loved going out on a weekly trip to our favorite local bbq restaurant. It would tickle my wife and I watching our little boy tear into ribs, pulled pork, corn and corn muffins. He'd walk outa there with bbq sauce all over his clothes. The food was off the chain delicious.

Then.....the restaurant closed.

We were stranded. None of the other spots around compared.

I'd confided in a buddy about it.......his reply, "Time to buy a smoker and learn to do it yourself".

That is what brought me here.

With a newly assembled offset, plenty of charcoal & wood and a hongry family.....I gave it a whirl. I could do burgers and hot dogs and that was about it. Over time, with a heap of help and encouragement from Paymaster, NCHB, Blues Brother and other members here.....I was able to figure out how to smoke a butt....and then ribs and finally able to make that meal my family loved from the local bbq joint.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
So......here it is. This is the exact meal that brought me to Paymaster's Outdoor Cooking forum those many years ago.

My young family loved going out on a weekly trip to our favorite local bbq restaurant. It would tickle my wife and I watching our little boy tear into ribs, pulled pork, corn and corn muffins. He'd walk outa there with bbq sauce all over his clothes. The food was off the chain delicious.

Then.....the restaurant closed.

We were stranded. None of the other spots around compared.

I'd confided in a buddy about it.......his reply, "Time to buy a smoker and learn to do it yourself".

That is what brought me here.

With a newly assembled offset, plenty of charcoal & wood and a hongry family.....I gave it a whirl. I could do burgers and hot dogs and that was about it. Over time, with a heap of help and encouragement from Paymaster, NCHB, Blues Brother and other members here.....I was able to figure out how to smoke a butt....and then ribs and finally able to make that meal my family loved from the local bbq joint.

And now, we're learning from you. :cheers:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Diet burger with roasted poblanos, bacon, grilled onions, sharp cheddar, Monterey jack, and such:

burger.jpg

Dub

And now, we're learning from you. :cheers:

:rofl: Thank you, man.....but I can show plenty examples of bad examples of what not to do quite often. I've made some horrid stuff recently that rivals the worst I did back in the early days. :rofl:

One thing I've learned is to not be scared to try new things.

Best advice I can give somebody getting started:

• Learn your pit.....find out how to maintain three critical ranges: 200-250, 325-375 and 500-600 degrees.
  • Keep a meat temp chart handy as well as a reliable thermometer where you can make easy checks to ensure the food is safe but never overcooked.
  • Go easy on spices....you can always add more....but you can't take them away.
  • Log your recipes & update them as you make tweaks to them.
  • Have fun and enjoy some relaxing times at home.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The best I can tell, this is the first meal I ever posted on here, back about 2009:

firstmeal1.jpg

firstmeal2.jpg

firstmeal3.jpg