Rattling in SW Georgia.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
How many use rattling to bring in bucks? I've had great success with a couple sheds found in Early Co. The sheds have called in many, in Al and Ga. Figure about half the old bucks I kill, came to the antlers. The other half, most were following a doe, with a minority just plain luck being in the right place, at the right time. Pictured a few to show what comes to my old horns.
I've managed properties for deer hunting since 1975, private farm for over fourteen years, and personal leases since 1975. management works.

Attachments

• ten rattled.jpg
    ten rattled.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 115
  • aold.JPG
    aold.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 119
  • Beetreebuck.jpg
    Beetreebuck.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 119
  • A699.jpg
    A699.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Dec20where it fell.jpg
    Dec20where it fell.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 113

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
How many use rattling to bring in bucks? I've had great success with a couple sheds found in Early Co. The sheds have called in many, in Al and Ga. Figure about half the old bucks I kill, came to the antlers. The other half, most were following a doe, with a minority just plain luck being in the right place, at the right time. Pictured a few to show what comes to my old horns.
I've managed properties for deer hunting since 1975, private farm for over fourteen years, and personal leases since 1975. management works.
How do you like the camo I use? Camo for deer gun hunting isn't a priority with me.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
When do u have the most success rattling in relation to the rut?
Pre rut, and late rut. Tricky, because if a buck is with doe, he wont come, in fact might push her the opposite direction. But, it may bring in a follower. I don't rattle often, nor for long. Never rattle unless there's an open area down wind of your position.

Attachments

• Best Ga, Mayhaw Ga.jpg
    Best Ga, Mayhaw Ga.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 83

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
During the hard rut, I don't rattle. Instead, I check the roads for chasing sign, then set up in the area, usually back off the roads.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I watch the bucks fight in our yard. The bigger ones start as soon as the horns get hard. Around the 1st of October they still together and go at it. I’ve seen them spar all year long. Climbed into one stand at daylite end of season. Watched 5 or 6 bucks fight for hours. Guess that was in January.
Guess I need to do it more
Great new fresh thread topic !

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I watch the bucks fight in our yard. The bigger ones start as soon as the horns get hard. Around the 1st of October they still together and go at it. I’ve seen them spar all year long. Climbed into one stand at daylite end of season. Watched 5 or 6 bucks fight for hours. Guess that was in January.
Guess I need to do it more
Great new fresh thread topic !
Early season, have watched bucks try one another. By the time the rut kicks in, most know who to avoid. Get em on camera now and then. And hear them often early season.

Attachments

• fight.jpg
    fight.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 38

SC Hunter

I've killed several bucks coming to horns over the years. I had a set of horns I picked up about 10 years ago until this year. I found a big deer hit on the side of the road and cut the head off and then cut the horns off. I killed a good buck this year coming to the horns looking for a fight. I set up with a fairly open hardwood pine mixed flat. I shot him sitting up against a big pine tree at about 30 yards.

I like to set up on little ridges with open bottoms below them close to thickets. I've also killed them on fresh clear cuts.

Attachments

• 20201118_142159.jpg
    20201118_142159.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 28

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I hold the antlers backwards to keep from pinching fingers. Deer can't tell how you're holding em.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
It works for sure, but I just don't feel comfortable making all that racket in the deer woods. :bounce: I have seen some good fights, though. They will tear up an area when they're really going at it. I shut my atv off one morning before daylight, and was about to gather my things and head out, and I could hear two banging heads down in the swamp not too far away. Sounded like two moose going at it. They were really getting after it down in there, and that was where I was going. I just stood at my atv and listened to them for several minutes. I enjoyed every minute of that. After a good few minutes, and now breaking daylight, I didn't hear them any more. So I gathered my things and carefully eased on down their way. When I finally got in there, I saw where they had fought. That ground was torn up, and there were fresh scrapes and rubs all over this one area. I never saw a deer that morning, but what an experience. A few days or so later, I saw where they had fought in one of our dirt roads. Deer tracks and antler marks were scratched all over a large section of that dirt road, where they were locked up and had pushed one another around. Below are 2 pics I took that day. Notice the antler marks scratched into the road. This was pretty cool to see.

You may click on the images to view a larger version.

Buck Fight Aftermath (Jan. 3, 1999) (1).jpg

Buck Fight Aftermath (Jan. 3, 1999) (2).jpg

Nice deer son. And good seeing you posting again.

:cheers:

sghoghunter

I’ve tried rattling a few times but never seen what I would call a positive experience. I’m more of a sit still and be quiet hunter and don’t use anything that wasn’t there before you got there

Buckstop

Had times I rattled and had them come in and an occasional good one at that. Had many times nothing showed. But never had a sit that I felt rattling messed me up. Deer hear deer sounds in the woods day and night. Rattling is a totally natural sound during the pre-rut and rut.

Blackston

I’ve got a buddy of that swears by it .... I’ve never had any luck .... he likes to walk n rattle, kinda like turkey hunting.. He got a wall full sooooo I’m a believer , I just haven’t been able to make it happen C8211230-93E3-4D06-AF5C-05BEE2875886.png

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I rattled up a good buck here in the mountains this year. Early rut.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
This past season, last weekend. Had just rattled a bit. Saw an average rack buck go through the pines at about 65 yards. Then a spike ran by. The this old buck stepped up our of the thick with a small doe. I've rattled while watching does feed on acorns, and they never paid any attention.

Attachments

• pipe3.jpg
    pipe3.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 36

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Dec, 2019 season. Had just finished rattling when to old mature six points came running through chasing a doe. Then this buck showed up. He was what I was waiting for.

Attachments

• Pineywoodsbuck.jpg
    Pineywoodsbuck.jpg
    698.3 KB · Views: 39

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Rattled up to about 15 yards. Heard him wading coming straight to me, before I could see him. Also have had does come to investigate rattling.

Attachments

• A699.jpg
    A699.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 21

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Dec, 2019 season. Had just finished rattling when to old mature six points came running through chasing a doe. Then this buck showed up. He was what I was waiting for.
A mature six-point was what I rattled up. I was happy with him.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Nothing wrong with a big six. Have taken a few of those over the years.

CaptKeith

How about the rattling sticks in a bag? Do you have any experience with them?