rattling

olroy

i may be trying to hard but out of 6 diffrent times and locations i have only seen on buck 5 pointer,,

is this about common results?
i really like rattling and again this is my first year rattling and i'm probably making plenty of mistakes.

Jeff Raines

I've went days with no response,then like a light switch,they turn on and come in.I've never had one come running,ya just look around and there's a deer standing there looking right at you.

I've only heard 1 deer fight and it was really loud.I couldn't make that much racket

Junebug

Olroy

As with anything with deer hunting, nothing works all the time. Keep it up. Even though you've only seen one that responded, you already made it over the first hurdle...trying it and gaining some confidence.

You mentioned you've only SEEN one 5-point...don't assume others haven't responded though. The very first buck I rattled in (after lots of trying) I saw as he was LEAVING. No telling where he came from, how long he stayed there, and if he saw or smelled me, or both.

You may try putting a little more focus on your setup. If you can, rattle where you can see downwind a good ways, or where your downwind side is protected by an opening (field, road, powerline). Rattle in a location where HE HAS TO show himself if he wants to see or smell who's fighting in his neighborhood.

One more thing...breakup your rattling sequence with short spells of silence...like the bucks are stopping for a few seconds to take a breather, gain leverage, or just standing there pushing on each other. During those little breaks (2 or 3 seconds) LISTEN for an approaching deer breaking sticks, rustling leaves, water splashing, etc.

cowboyron

Just a rattling story

Lil' Brother rattled a 7 point in Sunday morn. up in Minn. Said the deer was walking away from him when he seen it. Broke out his rattlin bag and rattled. Deer stopped, looked over then started walking again in the same direction. Rattled again deer stopped and started towards Lil' Bro. As deer got closer he got off direction so another rattle and he is back on track. Now he is close but about to go by so Bro gives a little grunt....here he comes right on track goes behind tree at 20 yds Bro draws his bow.....couple more steps.........WHACK.......down deer. It's awesome when it all comes together. It just doesn't always work like that but keep at it and it will happen. GOOD LUCK

Buck_Ridge

What a rush!!

Rattling can be. You know he's out there, somewhere looking for a fight. More times than not he will come in wary of his competitor, circling down wind trying to get a better veiw of what he may be up against. But beware! sometimes he will charge in like he's ready to kill or run off who ever has intruded on his turf. :D All jokes aside rattling is one of the best ways to get a trophy buck. Don't give up, it don't always have to be perfect to work. The ten pointer on the left in my avitar came running in right after a set of rattling horns where broken trying to sound like two monsters had locked up. The best advice, use the wind to your advantage. He will all most always try to circle you to get down wind. Use deer scents, grunt a little, but most of all be alert you probably want get to many chances at him. Good luck!!

Lucky7

rattlin is worth it

you might not have had luck yet, or for the next 20 times you try it, but the one time it does work makes it all worth it. one season i hunted for a week solid during the rut, and rattled in two 1/2 old bucks and three 2 1/2 yr bucks. nothing big enough to shoot, but it really improved my confidence when rattling. also, i would at times rattle after i saw a deer, to see the deer's reaction. very rarely did it spook the deer. tick the antlers together lightly when starting up your rattling sequence, so that you dont spook any unknown deer close to your stand. if it rarely spooks deer, and there is a chace it will bring in a big one, and it breaks up the boredom of sitting still for 4 hours straight, then the choice whether to or not to rattle seems like a no-brainer.

01Foreman400

Staff member
How long should you rattling sequence be? What time of the day works the best for rattling? Rattling bags or fake horns?

Thanks,
Darrell