Deer hunting Dilemma(Not really, I kilt him)

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
You want him to grow, let him walk. Risky business but you may not see him again anyway.

Big7

The Oracle
I ain't figured out how to cook a horn yet, just like Jed Clampet never figured out how to cook a "billy- yard" to serve on the pool table.

Seriously though. It depends on a LOT of things and a few of the many, many things for me would be like what @Toliver said in post #5 about the "bro code". I was on a lease where that would work and one that wouldn't. On the one that wouldn't, that would be a dead deer.

Also depends on how big your lease is and how many neighbors you have and how far in deep you are- if it's not a loooong way, miles, no sense in trying to "manage" him. They range 25 miles, depending on a few things. Somebody on a different property could kill him easily.

Also depends on how many "trophy" opportunities" you get. A lot, go ahead and pop him. Not many, let him go and "hope and pray" somebody else don't get him. That's about all you can do.

In the end, you really have VERY LITTLE control over the situation. It's a crap shoot. Don't let anybody tell you any different if you are hunting in traffic.

DynamicDennis

Are you hunting for sustenance or for trophy?

For us we hunt whitetail like we fish - letting the big ones pass and harvesting the smaller ones. I'm not gonna take a 10 lb bass home. I will give it a pass and take home a 2 lber.

Good luck with your decision
I’m confused, if your hunting or fishing for sustenance wouldn’t you take what you can get? I mean I know I get a lot more meat off of a 225pd buck than a 150pd buck. This thread has went the wrong decision since I posted it………

Blackston

I’m confused, if your hunting or fishing for sustenance wouldn’t you take what you can get? I mean I know I get a lot more meat off of a 225pd buck than a 150pd buck. This thread has went the wrong decision since I posted it………
Every time

coastalredneck

the mindset of us hunters has been brainwashed by TV and social media. Last year i forgave myself for having this same mindset. Ive got (3) kids that hunt now and i its just not fair to them to not shoot a deer that they want to pull the trigger on. Its more about the friends and whole atmosphere at camp to me now. Just like my dad taught me growing up. If you get a really big one then its a bonus. So.. to this dilemma.. dont let him walk.. hes actually a pretty good buck. good luck to you!

transfixer

the mindset of us hunters has been brainwashed by TV and social media. Last year i forgave myself for having this same mindset. Ive got (3) kids that hunt now and i its just not fair to them to not shoot a deer that they want to pull the trigger on. Its more about the friends and whole atmosphere at camp to me now. Just like my dad taught me growing up. If you get a really big one then its a bonus. So.. to this dilemma.. dont let him walk.. hes actually a pretty good buck. good luck to you!

What you described is the way I've always hunted, my dad taught me as well, I've always hunted in a deer camp situation, even before we formed a club, pulling a trigger on one was just a part of it,

DynamicDennis

Do you have a good broadside picture ? And no I wouldn’t shoot his rack off :D I have let a few walk over the years and wished they’d break their rack off ha ha .
Only others I took a shot of

Attachments

• IMG_4655.jpeg
    IMG_4655.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4654.jpeg
    IMG_4654.jpeg
    375.5 KB · Views: 57

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I will probably roll the dice if he is as young as I think, and post some live pics on here. If I even see him. To each their own, but I have really been trying to kill mature bucks, At their potential or close. Not in a qdm or trophy lease so whatever happens will happen. And regardless, I would not be upset if someone got tickled by this deer. Same as other deer I have watched and did my best to pattern, and see someone else shoot it. We all go to shoot something that’s makes us happy. Just would be curious what another year or 2 would bring.

I have 3 8 pointers on camera. One is a youngster. I'm guessing he's a yearling because he barely makes 8 points. The next one up I call "Junior". He's a 2 year old sporting a handsome rack but he needs another year at least to get those tall tines and fill his body out. The third one is the mack daddy. I want to hold out for him.

I saw all 3 of them together Friday evening in the rain but it was late, the overcast and rain made it hard to see them clearly, I passed on a shot at "Junior" and the mack daddy didn't give me a shot at all.

I'm almost out of venison. I'd like to hold out for the big one but if either of the other two step out once gun season opens I'm putting meat in the freezer.

I get it. You're a bone hunter. I am too. Sometimes you can over think that. :wink:

Last edited:

krizia829

People are getting too caught up with this whole aging and scoring thing. If he makes you happy, shoot him.

There's plenty of other bucks roaming around. They just haven't found your trail camera yet.

I would definitely shoot him and be pretty darn proud! Imagine passing him up and someone else shoots him.. I'm sure you'd feel pretty sick about it.. I know I would! Good luck!

DynamicDennis

I have 3 8 pointers on camera. One is a youngster. I'm guessing he's a yearling because he barely makes 8 points. The next one up I call "Junior". He's a 2 year old sporting a handsome rack but he needs another year at least to get those tall tines ad fill his body out. The third one is the mack daddy. I want to hold out for him.

I saw all 3 of them together Friday evening in the rain but it was late, the overcast and rain made it hard to see them clearly, I passed on a shot at "Junior" and the mack daddy didn't give me a shot at all.

I'm almost our of venison. I'd like to hold out for the big one but if either of the other two step out once gun season opens I'm putting meat in the freezer.

I get it. You're a bone hunter. I am too. Sometimes you can over think that. :wink:
Thank you, I knew I was not the only person that was trying to shoot a big buck. I'm just honest I guess, but I wanna kill a mature buck that is at, or close to, its potential.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Thank you, I knew I was not the only person that was trying to shoot a big buck. I'm just honest I guess, but I wanna kill a mature buck that is at, or close to, its potential.

Me too but I have put that particular priority into it's proper perspective. It's definitely not #1 anymore.:wink:

DynamicDennis

I have 2 8pts I have had on cam for 4 and 5 years. Those are my "targets". And maybe I'll just shoot 2 does this year, If I don't get a crack at one of these.

marshallknight

I'm all about shooting what makes you happy, so if my buddy or neighbor kills a buck that I wanted to let grow then I don't get mad at all. And my mind set used to be if I don't kill him then the neighbors will, but I finally figured out if he's in the back of my truck he has zero chance of getting older. I hunt in an area that's not known for letting them grow, but I had a chance at a 3.5 year old 8 and a 3.5 yr old 10 that I decided not to shoot 2 seasons ago. I killed the 10 last year and had a chance at the 8, but I dropped the ball. If you would have told me 6 or 7 years ago that letting a 3.5 yr old walk would work in my neck of the woods, I would have thought you were crazy.

DynamicDennis

Marshall, I'd be glad to have you as a neighbor. This is a 2yr old 10pt, I hope no one shoots. But if they do, good for them.

Attachments

• IMG_4806.jpeg
    IMG_4806.jpeg
    428.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4805.jpeg
    IMG_4805.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 23

Core Lokt

Pass on him, I'll shoot him :LOL:

Let him go if you want just know that you may not get another chance at him. Your call... Good luck.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Pretty sure we all want to kill a big buck, but letting them walk really depends on several factors. Of course where you hunt, but maybe how good you are too. I’m not that good and on public land I’ll take pretty much the first opportunity given. But someone like @Jonboater who may hunt the same piece of public land may not. He has killed a lot more deer than me and I’ll bet he’d let a deer walk that I’d shoot without hesitation!
I’ll be after my second buck in Kentucky and the “rule” is, that the “next” buck is bigger…..my first was a 2.5 so sb no problem to improve on that. We face the same scenario with neighbors shooting young bucks. I won’t kill anymore young ones up err.