Recommendation on youth deer rifle

dslc6487

What rifle would you recommend for a 10 year old grandson for deer. All he has ever shot is a 22 when we go squirrel hunting. He is a bit shorter than the average 10 year old but bulky and filled out well. I am not an avid deer hunter and all that I have is a 30-30 and I have only killed a few deer. Mostly I am a fully addicted squirrel hunter with a feist dog. I want something that will not kick him bad and the deer range will be within 100 yards. A recommendation on a rifle and cartridge load would be appreciated. Thanks my fellow GON friends.....

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
What rifle would you recommend for a 10 year old grandson for deer. All he has ever shot is a 22 when we go squirrel hunting. He is a bit shorter than the average 10 year old but bulky and filled out well. I am not an avid deer hunter and all that I have is a 30-30 and I have only killed a few deer. Mostly I am a fully addicted squirrel hunter with a feist dog. I want something that will not kick him bad and the deer range will be within 100 yards. A recommendation on a rifle and cartridge load would be appreciated. Thanks my fellow GON friends.....
Savage axis in 350 or 6.5 creedmore

Kev

I Killed my first deer at 7 years old with a .308. My boys will start off with a .308. With that being said, you could put a good scope on the 30-30 and let him use that.

01Foreman400

Staff member
It’s always a gamble handing a kid a recoiling rifle for the first time. Especially something like a 30-30 if you decide to go that route. The .223 I have found is the perfect stepping stone from the 22 lr then see how they react to the light recoil of the .223.

Lilly001

If you supervise him and shots stay under 100 yds almost any center fire, with appropriate ammo, will do.
IMHO a .223 is a little lite for deer, but many use it.
I like the ruger American in 7.62x39. It is lite, low recoil, and cheap on ammo so he can shoot more than a couple shells.
That’s what my choice for my grandson and grand nice was. They are both 12. Him tall and built, her tiny.
She shoots it well and with confidence and he does also.
I let them shoot as much as they want to because I use the Tula 154 grain soft points and they cost about .50 a round.
I hope to see how it preforme on deer this year.

menhadenman

I have three kids under 12 that all hunt. They use a 223 (the faster twist on a bolt gun will allow you to shoot heavier bullets), a 6.5 Grendel on a youth stock, and sometimes a 300 Blackout pistol with a can when we’re hunting in close.

Most important to me in a youth rifle:

1. A proper fitting stock (or adjustable pull they can grow in to). Savage is a good example with their Apex Hunter.

2. A cartridge that will allow trigger time. If he’s got to pay $48/box the average kid won’t get the range time needed.

3. Light recoil so they don’t develop bad habits. Kick goes up as rifle size goes down (shorter barrel, compact stock) so pushing a bigger cartridge onto a smaller platform may not be the best idea.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Good luck - lots of great advice on here. Reloading opens up a lot of doors too.

treemanjohn

Banned
It’s always a gamble handing a kid a recoiling rifle for the first time. Especially something like a 30-30 if you decide to go that route. The .223 I have found is the perfect stepping stone from the 22 lr then see how they react to the light recoil of the .223.
.223 is a very smart move. My dad ruined me for a lot of years because of shooting guns that were too big. At less than 100 yards no problem. Over 100 yards and poor training leaked through. It work A LOT of work before 500+ yards was a chip shot

I'm a very firm believer in sneaking up in caliber at any age if you're really wanting to provide the best training

Hillbilly stalker

Either a .243 or a 7mm08. They both are adequate rounds for deer or hogs and have minimum recoil. It will take him awhile to out grow either caliber. I'm 55 and haven't out grown my .243. A 30-30 is a great deer round and will do the job, but I always have reservations about handing a youth a lever action. Being younger and smaller, I worry about them letting their finger slip off of the hammer or them forgetting that the hammer is back after cycling the next round. Its easy to do, I've seen grown men do it. When a younger person has just shot a deer they are excited and may easily forget. I would feel safer with a bolt action or single shot as his first high powered rifle myself.

DocChris

I love my 7-08 but ammo is pricey so I reload. My choice would be a quality (some weight not plastic) 308. The caliber will last a lifetime. It will do the job on anything. It shoots good and soft. The best part is ammo is everywhere and reasonable so he can get some trigger time without breaking the bank.

ssramage

I started my son out on a .243 single shot and kept the shots close. He killed a couple that way and last year I let him use my 7MM-08. That's all he wants to use now. He's 9 this year.

RustyH

I have several 30-30s and one I almost always carry is my 336 youth model. even though I'm 6.1. 210+lbs. I love how compact it is. , I would highly recommend finding a 336 Youth because he could keep it his whole life and be happy with it.

With that said, I think the most important thing for you to do is find proper fitting hearing PROTECTION. Invest in really good hearing protection over everything else.

As a grandpa myself, I bought my grandson a LIFETIME SPORTSMAN license for $500, imagine all the years he will think of me after I’m gone when he’s fishing and hunting on the license I bought him. So naturally I will buy him good hearing protection as well.

jrickman

I know a lot of people don't like to hear it, but a 5.56 chambered AR-15 style rifle really is the answer to this question about 99 times out of 100. I'd recommend something with a 20" barrel and a nice collapsing stock that allows for a comfortable cheek weld. My boys are lights out with one out to 200 yards. Put a 30-30 in their hands and they are pretty good inside 100, but starting to struggle a little. The 15 year old is actually better with my 30-06 than the old '94. The 12 year old couldn't hit the side of a barn from inside it with the 30-06.