Recommendation on youth deer rifle

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
30-30 is plenty good. If he’s like my nephew, gun shy of the recoil, the 357 lever action is a good choice. I’m still killing deer with the 357, one of my favorite go to guns.

My son started with Remington youth model 7-08.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Remington Model 7 Youth in 243. When he outgrows the ute stock you can order the adult stock.

ThatredneckguyJamie

I know a lot of people don't like to hear it, but a 5.56 chambered AR-15 style rifle really is the answer to this question about 99 times out of 100. I'd recommend something with a 20" barrel and a nice collapsing stock that allows for a comfortable cheek weld. My boys are lights out with one out to 200 yards. Put a 30-30 in their hands and they are pretty good inside 100, but starting to struggle a little. The 15 year old is actually better with my 30-06 than the old '94. The 12 year old couldn't hit the side of a barn from inside it with the 30-06.
I almost agree...but I would substitute the 5.56 for a 6.5 Grendel. Not saying the 5.56 isn't sufficient...but the 6.5 Grendel is just far superior, in the exact same package with all the other benefits.

tell sackett

I started my son out on a .243 single shot and kept the shots close. He killed a couple that way and last year I let him use my 7MM-08. That's all he wants to use now. He's 9 this year.

Some 20+years ago (has it really been that long?) I bought my daughter a NEA HandiRifle in 243 (a round I had previously turned my nose up at). She hunted with it a couple of years and killed several deer and then lost interest in hunting for a long while. The rifle stayed with me and I used it a lot. It’s accurate, fairly light, and 243 is a great deer round. The only complaint I ever had was the ejector would occasionally fail.

I was not a happy camper when she decided she wanted her rifle back:bounce:. I catch myself looking on auction sites for another one.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Some excellent calibers pointed out here but I’ll add the ammo situation isn’t going to get any better. Considering availibility of ammo that fits the need it‘s .243 or .308.

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
What rifle would you recommend for a 10 year old grandson for deer. All he has ever shot is a 22 when we go squirrel hunting. He is a bit shorter than the average 10 year old but bulky and filled out well. I am not an avid deer hunter and all that I have is a 30-30 and I have only killed a few deer. Mostly I am a fully addicted squirrel hunter with a feist dog. I want something that will not kick him bad and the deer range will be within 100 yards. A recommendation on a rifle and cartridge load would be appreciated. Thanks my fellow GON friends.....
Last year I got my kids a savage 243 youth model to deer hunt with and they love it . My 5 year old son killed his first buck with it and my 8 year old daughter shot her first buck with it. It has very little kick and a shorter butt end so it’s easy for the kids to reach the trigger . They shoot 100 grain bullets and are comfortable out to 100 yards with it. I wanna say I only paid around 450.00 for it. We bought a tripod stand type deal for it where it will hold the gun and they can swivel it back and forth to find the deer. They love it

bighonkinjeep

Thats easy, one of thesehttps://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012833230
Some .308 diameter 125gr bullets and a pound of H4895. That's enough for 184 .308W youth loads that recoil less than a 243 and kill deer like lightning.
If you get him a .308 he can pretty much take anything in North America and hunt with it the rest of his life. My personal preference is a Savage 110.

Tight Lines

What rifle would you recommend for a 10 year old grandson for deer. All he has ever shot is a 22 when we go squirrel hunting. He is a bit shorter than the average 10 year old but bulky and filled out well. I am not an avid deer hunter and all that I have is a 30-30 and I have only killed a few deer. Mostly I am a fully addicted squirrel hunter with a feist dog. I want something that will not kick him bad and the deer range will be within 100 yards. A recommendation on a rifle and cartridge load would be appreciated. Thanks my fellow GON friends.....
Tikka make a synthetic with a spacer in the stock...perfect...

releehweoj

Some 20+years ago (has it really been that long?) I bought my daughter a NEA HandiRifle in 243 (a round I had previously turned my nose up at). She hunted with it a couple of years and killed several deer and then lost interest in hunting for a long while. The rifle stayed with me and I used it a lot. It’s accurate, fairly light, and 243 is a great deer round. The only complaint I ever had was the ejector would occasionally fail.

I was not a happy camper when she decided she wanted her rifle back:bounce:. I catch myself looking on auction sites for another one.

This - started my son out at 11yo with this gun. He killed a nice 8pt for his first deer while sitting in a ground blind with me.