Reliable bolt action

olchevy

I curently have a savage 111 in 30-06, it is probably one of the most acurate rifles out of all the people I know. Only problem is it is not reliable its ejector has failed me numerous times and has already been replaced three times and I havent even put 200 rounds through the rifle yet(160-170).

Also because of the "detchable magazine" it has fell out I dont even know how many times(black stock in avatar ,see indent for mag relase button), every couple shots it would just drop out. I even carved out a wood stock in avatar meant for a different rifle just so that the magazine would be held in place it is now completley hidden.

So I am now looking for another rifle that is still accurate but very reliable. looking into remington 700 series, but I am trying to remember what modern production rifle is the one that has the mauser action(Huge ejector). And if their is a rem 700 with a hidden magazine, no hinged floor plate(I hear the same problematic things about them).

Someone please help me find something that wont let me down, I love my savage, despite its huge downfalls) and will never get rid of it(it was the first gun I ever bought in my name), but I just want something that will not give me these problems. price range I would like to keep it under 500 for rifle only.I have debated on getting an old mauser rebarreling it for 30-06 then make a wooden stock, however that seems to come out to be very expensive in the end.

Last edited:

EMC-GUN

Ruger is the closest to the Mauser as I can tell. I would say the 700 is about the best you're gonna get for the money!

olchevy

Is there any with a hidden magazine though, I do not want a hinged floor plate, or anything similar

dertiedawg

I have heard of problems with Savage arms before. I have a Savage in 270 and have never had any problems with it (knock on wood) and it is very very accurate. Sorry you are having these issues. Maybe you can send it back to the company and have it fixed. Don't know about the quality of their customer service but maybe someone else does.

miles58

Banned yankee
You might ought to consider picking up a blind box stock for like a Savage 110 and the internal magazine for it and call it good for a lot less money than you are thinking about.

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
I will ask a couple of questions before I comment any further.

When you say the ejector failed, what do you mean? When you pull the bolt back with reasonable force, the round doesn't eject?

Secondly, what issues have you heard of with a hinged floor-plate? They have been around for over a hundred years and are used on some of the best rifles in the world. I personnally haven't heard anything bad about them at all. Now blind mags on the other hand....
I don't want to have to cycle the action to unload the magazine. Just personal preference I guess.

Jetjockey

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a hinged floor plate. They simply work. You won't drop shells out the bottom if you acidentally bump it. If your looking for a remmy. The 700 is a great action. However, most remmy's still have hinged floor plate. If you don't want the hinge, then look at the 700 ADL. Walmart had some for about $400 with a scope and no floor plate. Ive got one of those guns. However, when I get the new stock for it I will have a floor plate installed. Cycling to gets bullets out is a pain.

If your having this many problems with your Savage. Send it to Savage.

Hammack

Going strictly on what you said I would look for a Model 70 with the classic action or possibly a ruger 77. I believe Remington now has the 798 which is a sporterized mauser that might be worth looking into. Most any controlled round feed (mauser type) action is going to feed and extract reliably. As far as floor plates go I have never had a problem with them opening on there own.

biggdogg

i would say contact customer service at savage. i've got 4 savages and have owned 2 others and never had a problem. 2 of the ones i have have the detachable box and have always worked fine. as far as the extraction problem, my guess is you aren't pulling the bolt back hard enough. all of mine, if you just slowly slide the bolt back, it will drop the case back into the action. pop the bolt back a little quicker and the case clears every time.

and just my opinion, but i much prefer the hinged floorplate over the box magazine or blind magazine.

olchevy

thankyou to all and here are some replies to yall

miles 58
"You might ought to consider picking up a blind box stock for like a Savage 110 and the internal magazine for it and call it good for a lot less money than you are thinking about"

That is what I did.thanks though.

HandgunHTR
"When you say the ejector failed, what do you mean? When you pull the bolt back with reasonable force, the round doesn't eject?

Secondly, what issues have you heard of with a hinged floor-plate? They have been around for over a hundred years and are used on some of the best rifles in the world. I personnally haven't heard anything bad about them at all. Now blind mags on the other hand....
I don't want to have to cycle the action to unload the magazine. Just personal preference I guess."

First part: It will not eject a casing, it will eject a loaded rounds all day long, but after one has been shot and is an empty casing it has trouble ejecting it.But I talked to my gunsmith and he said the metal used for the tiny little ejector itself is to soft, he said they will keep wearing out, unless I could somehow get one made of harder metal.Once I put a new one on it is good to go for say 50-60 rounds then its out again.It losses its little lip to grab the casing.

Secondly I had heard of some rifles not remingtons in particular, that with the hinged floor plate they would swing open and dump the rounds, like the latch isnt strong enough.

Hammack
"Most any controlled round feed (mauser type) action is going to feed and extract reliably. As far as floor plates go I have never had a problem with them opening on there own."

That was the wording I was looking for, not nessisarily mauser action, but a controlled feed design. Thankyou

I have a Ruger and Win. Mod. 70 with a hinged floorplate, and I've never had them dump ammunition. The Ruger in particular is pretty hard to open.

If I'm not mistaken the CZ rifles are commercial Mausers.

olchevy

Cz what country are they from. I will have to look into them.

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
CZs are from the Czech Republic. Great guns.

It sounds as if the problem that you are having with ejecting is not so much the ejector as it is the extractor. It may be do to fired rounds that are hard to extract. You may have a rough chamber, or if you reload, you may be too hot. If you have replaced the extractor mulitple times and you still have the issue, then it seems to me that you should be looking in a different direction.

olchevy

CZs are from the Czech Republic. Great guns.

It sounds as if the problem that you are having with ejecting is not so much the ejector as it is the extractor. It may be do to fired rounds that are hard to extract. You may have a rough chamber, or if you reload, you may be too hot. If you have replaced the extractor mulitple times and you still have the issue, then it seems to me that you should be looking in a different direction.

Extractor is what I meant the ejector pin is fine, however the extractor claw keeps wearing down were it will not grab the rim of the shell. I only shoot rem corelokt or hornady. I havent got into reloading yet, although that bench press set midway has on sale for 80$ is mighty tempting....

olchevy

Are there any bolts that will fit in this rifle from say another rifle, maybe not even savage?

bighonkinjeep

The DBM should be an easy fix. If its the old style DBM remove the bolt so you can see the relationship of the parts and how it's held in. Remove the mag, and then using the appropriate size screwdriver slightly bend the little lip out on the side of the mag where it catches. you shouldn't have any more problems with it.
I've heard of failure to eject due to the extractor on the 22-250s but not the long actions. I have never heard of wearing out extractors that quickly on any of them and suspect another problem.
Call customer service at Savage and describe the ejection problem to them so they can ask questions. They may be able to give you a diagnosis over the phone and ship the parts out if necessary.
Good luck BHJ

Bill Mc

CZs are made in the Check Republic.

They are Mauser actions with hammer forged barrels, control round feed and have a single set trigger.

Very accurate and dependable rifles. I have 4.

ATLRoach

I sent you a PM on the extraction issue.

For the ones interested it's either oversized bolt face or detent ball slop on the extractor. The detent need to be replaced with a .140 over the factory .125 detent ball. SSS fixed this very issue on my 6.5x284 on a 110 action.

Last edited: