Richt's message to fans

Buck

Richt urges fans to use patience with QB Murray

Published Tuesday, July 27, 2010

ATLANTA - Days before Aaron Murray begins preseason practice for the first time as Georgia's clear-cut No. 1 quarterback, coach Mark Richt had a message for fans at the Greater Atlanta Bulldog Club gathering at the Cobb Galleria Centre: Give the redshirt freshman time.

"We're going to watch a young kid grow up," Richt told the crowd Monday night. "He's going to make mistakes and we've got to support this kid. We've got to understand that he'll do some things that we wish he didn't do. We're trying to get him to do those in practices and scrimmages as much as possible."

Georgia begins preseason practices on Monday. The Tampa, Fla., product is replacing Joe Cox as Georgia's starting quarterback.

Cox had some Georgia fans turn on him during a 2009 season in which the Bulldogs went 8-5. Cox threw 24 touchdowns, but also had 15 interceptions.

"The thing that ruins a quarterback (is) when he believes or he thinks that you don't believe in him," Richt told the fans. "It's my job as a head coach to help him understand I believe in him. ... I think it's important, too, for him to think the fans believe in him. We can all help that kid by helping him through the rough spots."

--- Samuel doubtful to take redshirt ---

Will he or won't he?

The question about whether converted running back Richard Samuel will take a redshirt season as he gets acclimated to his new position - linebacker - has been bounced around a lot this offseason.

The latest answer?

"We were talking about maybe redshirting him at one time, but I doubt very seriously that we'll be able to redshirt him," Richt said. "We need the depth. He's just a guy that we think will make plays for us."

Richt said that defensive coordinator Todd Grantham and linebackers coach Warren Belin see an upside to the junior who will play inside for the Bulldogs.

"They see potential," Richt said. "They don't think he's a polished guy yet. They know he's fast, he can move laterally, he'll strike you. He has no fear to hit someone."

--- Two-a-days back on ---

Georgia is now slated to hold two-a-day practices after all.

The Bulldogs' revised workout schedule now includes one day with two practices on Aug. 9.

Richt noted that most schools have about three two-a-days, but he wanted more time to install the new 3-4 defense.

"Let's start being stronger when class starts rather than the old break them down and build them up," Richt said of his philosophy regarding limited two-a-days. "Let's start building them up from the first day."

--- King likely will practice ---

Receiver Tavarres King, who was suspended indefinitely from team activities following his arrest for underage possession of alcohol, is on track to rejoin the team when practices begin Monday.

"If things keep going the way they are, yes," Richt said of King practicing.

King will miss at least one game as part of the suspension.

Walk-on offensive lineman Josh Parrish, who also was suspended indefinitely for another alcohol-related arrest, is now back with the team, Richt said.

--- This and that ---

One fan asked Richt about Florida's dominance of Georgia. "How do you want me to respond?," Richt said. "I need to get you in the locker room before the game and you can jack the boys up." ... Interim athletic director Frank Crumley was part of Monday's program three weeks after he moved into the position. "It's sort of business as usual," Crumley told the crowd. "Things are going well." ... Richt gave the lowdown about one reason that helped Georgia players record blazing fast 40 times last spring. He said players ran with the wind at their backs.

00Beau

Give him time, he better be a fast learner because everything I`ve seen and read has UGA winning the East! :pop:

Fletch_W

Banned
How much better would Cox have been if the offense didn't have to score 30+ points in each game to win? How much better would the defense be if the offense wasn't 3 and out over and over and over...

How much better will Murray be if the defense keeps opponents under 20 points? How much better will the defense be if the offense can put together some decent drives with the running game?

These questions all go back to Mike Bobo and his idiot offense, his vicarious living through the quarterbacks instead of running the ball with your talented backs and your big offensive line.

Why no mention of Mike Bobo? If I were a guest at that ra-ra, and there's good reason I'm not, I'd have asked "Coach, how much more flack are you going to take for wasting talent, year after year, before you send Mike Bobo to the press booth and put this team back on top of the East?"

What could CMR have said? "Uh, it's not Bobo's fault, um... uh... duh... Bobo is a great... uh... fantastic ... uh... um.. really good... Bobo is a... uh... [fill in the blank]"

DAWGsfan2

Get ready for some tough times with Aaron Murray.

CMR is making excuses already.:rofl::rofl:

i hate to say it but what i took from this interview didnt sound posative at all.i can only hope the situation in athens really isnt as bad as one may think.btw goooo dawgs

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Not trumping your first time starter qb as an instant All American. What a novel idea.

maker4life

Yeah , Richt doesn't know anything about coaching up and handling QB's .

ACguy

Get ready for some tough times with Aaron Murray.

CMR is making excuses already.:rofl::rofl:

I think he is just trying to keep the fans realistic about Murray and the team. He knows that Murray is all he has at QB this year . The fans seem to think Murray is going to be one of the top QB's in the SEC and it's not likely.

sleeze

I think he is just trying to keep the fans realistic about Murray and the team. He knows that Murray is all he has at QB this year . The fans seem to think Murray is going to be one of the top QB's in the SEC and it's not likely.

Yep , your right.

So...........CMR basically is saying Murray is going to struggle....... be patient UGA fans.

On the other hand,,,,,UF coaches and Urban is saying that J. Brantley is the real deal,,,,a gunslinger,,, a UF QB.

Lets see how the 2 QB's play out.

Has Urban ever had a bad college QB?

maker4life

maker4life

Good , fair , fullback

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I wish somebody would show me one single time that any UGA fan on this board said that Aaron Murray was going to be one of the best qbs in the league this year.

That's what I thought.

So why is it ok for the gators to do all this ridiculous clamoring about how awsome John Brantley is?

CMR has had three out of his four starting qbs while at UGA end up in the league. Before that, he did pretty good with qbs at FSU.

So yall will just have to forgive me if I take CMR over Oscar Meyer when it comes to knowing his stuff on qbs.

Will Aaron Murray be a lights out frightingly dangerous qb this year? Probably not. All he needs to be is fair to middling.

sleeze

Good , fair , fullback

Gotcha,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,soooo............What were there records? How were there stats? Any National championships?....Exactly!

We will be fine at QB. The expectations are high, indeed. My money is on Urban.