Roberts loads

hitchin

Anyone reloading the 257 Roberts? Got a new to me 700 long action with Douglas chrome moly barrel. Want to shoot the Sierra 90 gr Hpbt.any one have experience with this bullet/caliber combo?

hitchin

BriarPatch99

I forgot to add that they shot really accurate in my .25/06 ..... they are a little light jacked to run for deer at .25/06 speeds .....but they will tear beavers up ....neighbor had a pond taken over with those .....killed a bunch them things with the 90 HP.

They would work well at about 2900/3000 fps in a .257 Roberts I believe.....

I can tell you that the 120 grain HP version is a tough bullet .....almost too much ....but they were accurate also !

Nimrod71

I hunt with a Ruger 77 in 257 R. and I have killed several nice deer with it. As for the Sie. 90 Gr. HPBT I lost one of the biggest deer I have ever shot, however, the 90 was loaded in my 25-06 and the range was less than 50 yds. As I said my rifle loves the Sie 100 gr hunter bullets. I shot the deer in the shoulder and I have never had to track one, they fell die right there.

Dub

Sorry for the semi-hijack @hitchin ...I've got no experience with the 257 Roberts....just got to say thanks to BriarPatch....

I don't have any experience as a deer bullet ...but I have shot some out of my .25/06 way way back.... here is a link that may give you an idea about the combo .257 Roberts and that bullet ....

https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2017/12/21/1615-90-gr-hpbt-gameking/

read down in the comments below write-up .....

1) I've always had good results with their GameKing. Have you had any dealings with the new tipped version ?

2) Thanks for posting that link above. I didn't realize it existed. I can see lots of good future reading. I'm gonna start with this one later.

https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2017/01/03/how-to-find-your-absolute-best-load/

(y)

Dub

No I haven't ... If they hold to Sierra's normal quality(no reason they shouldn't)... they will shoot great ...

I had great results with their original GameKing before (range & hunting). I'd like to give those tipped 165gr a try at some point.

BriarPatch99

I had great results with their original GameKing before (range & hunting). I'd like to give those tipped 165gr a try at some point.

Unless they just started making them, they don't make a tipped bullet except a 90 grain and it is a Biltzking(varmint) ....in .25 caliber.

I killed quite a few deer with the 117 grain Gameking...

Dub

Unless they just started making them, they don't make a tipped bullet except a 90 grain and it is a Biltzking(varmint) ....in .25 caliber.

I killed quite a few deer with the 117 grain Gameking...

I'm not sure when it was released.....showed up during my hiatus from handloading.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/30-caliber-165-gr-tgk/

They are finally showing up in stores.

I'm not sure how aggressively they've marketed them.

If they'd made more 6.5 offerings the Creedmor fans would have already, all on their own, made it into the death ray of all bullets. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lead Poison

Barnes 100 TTSX
47.0 Hybrid 100V

This loads shoots really well out of my Ruger 77 257 Roberts.
Start low and work up to see if the combination is liked by your rifle.

Big7

The Oracle
I hunt with a Ruger 77 in 257 R. and I have killed several nice deer with it. As for the Sie. 90 Gr. HPBT I lost one of the biggest deer I have ever shot, however, the 90 was loaded in my 25-06 and the range was less than 50 yds. As I said my rifle loves the Sie 100 gr hunter bullets. I shot the deer in the shoulder and I have never had to track one, they fell die right there.

Just out of curiosity, why would you shoot deer- sized game- from a rifle and rifle caliber with a hollow point bullet?

godogs57

Just out of curiosity, why would you shoot deer- sized game- from a rifle and rifle caliber with a hollow point bullet?
Eggzackly. I have a long history with the Roberts. I use handloaded 100 grain Nosler Partitions in front of IMR-4350 powder and the results have been stellar. As a matter of fact, every deer shot with that rifle has dropped to the ground...I’ve never had to trail a single deer of over one hundred that rifle has killed. My biggest with that rifle was a large 8 pointer that dressed at 240#. DRT with the 100 grain partition. Pick a dang bullet that will work in every scenario, not just when the shot is “perfect “! The 90 grain hollow point will work just fine on coyotes but will eventually leave you in tears with a deer....and when that happens, it won’t be with that 90# doe. It’ll be on that hammer of a buck you’ve been chasing all season long.

godogs57

I'm not sure when it was released.....showed up during my hiatus from handloading.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/30-caliber-165-gr-tgk/

They are finally showing up in stores.

I'm not sure how aggressively they've marketed them.

If they'd made more 6.5 offerings the Creedmor fans would have already, all on their own, made it into the death ray of all bullets. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I used them on a recent pronghorn antelope hunt a month and a half ago. Took a large goat, dressing at 97# @ 257 yards broadside with a 140 grain gamechanger out of my 270 Winchester. The goat ran a good ways with a double lung shot...a little longer than I would have expected for that shot. Of course, hunting pronghorns, if he runs a mile, you just watch him run and go pick him up because the country is so open.

When dressing him I noted no expansion from the bullet. It ice picked through both lungs without doing any damage. That’s a statistical sample of only one, so no real conclusions can be drawn from this.

BriarPatch99

Because there are Hollow Point bullets made for deer sized game ....

Like the Sierra 85 grain HPBT for .243 ...

Also several HPBT for the .25 ...like the 90 grain( not at .25/06 velocity)and 120 grain HPBT

Several other caliber like .264, .277, .284, .308 ....maybe more ....

I killed several deer with the Hornady 120 HP ....it was not a BT ...

Last edited:

TJay

I have a Remmy 700 Classic in 257 and have shot the 117 Game King and IMR 4895 for years. It's always been sub moa for me and always killed deer.

Reactions: Dub

tom ga hunter

I have killed a bunch of deer with a Roberts. My load is 115 partations & 43.5gr of IMR4350. I have also killed some big pigs with this load. With a 22' Lilja barrel I get around 2,800 fps.

hitchin

I forgot to add that they shot really accurate in my .25/06 ..... they are a little light jacked to run for deer at .25/06 speeds .....but they will tear beavers up ....neighbor had a pond taken over with those .....killed a bunch them things with the 90 HP.

They would work well at about 2900/3000 fps in a .257 Roberts I believe.....

I can tell you that the 120 grain HP version is a tough bullet .....almost too much ....but they were accurate also !
The 120 hpbt has been my go to bullet the 25/06 since the late seventies as well as the 165 in 30/06 and308