Ruger M77 accuracy

TrailBlazinMan

Slowly loosen the front action screw while the gun is lying on its side. Watch the barrel. If it rises from the stock, then you have a raised pad installed at the tip of the stock. A few years ago this constant pressure was thought to help accuracy, but it made some guns terrible to shoot. If this is the case remove that pad.

If that is not the case, follow SCDiesel / Pappy's advice.

Oldstick

I seem to recall reading that some Ruger 77s were fussy if the stock action screw was too tight. I think there are two posts or pillars in the forend that the barrel rests on, as opposed to a single long channel.

Some suggested snugging the screw up just barely enough so it is not loose. But first have some locktight on the screw then let that dry so the screw will stay put right there.

But I am just trying to go on memory, so you might search the net to be sure of the details.

southernboy2147

Thank yall, yall have been very helpful on this issue. at least i know its a individual gun issue and not a ruger issue!

7MAGMIKE

My 1st gen M77 in 7mm Rem. mag. will shoot .4 groups with no problem. I tried several different brands of ammo before I found what it liked. Now I reload and it loves my 150gr. NBT with 61gr. of IMR4198 recipe. I have it installed in a Hogue aluminum frame overmolded stock with a Leupold 3-9x40 scope. My go to field hunter. I will probably never replace it.

chuckdog

I'm a fan of Ruger, but their centerfire rifles have seldom shot to suit me.

In my hands they're super tough, reliable, and forgiving hunting rifles. I don't recall ever having a real "shooter" wearing the 77 designation?

Ruger recommends torquing the MKII action screws to around 95 inch pounds. The upward pressure isn't a thing of the past. Ruger won't troubleshoot accuracy issues with modified stocks.

Make sure the rifle's truly clean and all the screws are properly torqued.

Try another known good scope and another shooter.

If you still have issues, I'd save targets for Ruger and let them diagnose it.

Just my two cents, but life's too short for me to spend a lot of time fooling with an inaccurate rifle.
:cheers:

243SuperRC

A friend had given me a M77 with a tang safety in 7-08. It never grouped well with hand loaded 139 gr sst or 140 gr factory loads. Most 3 shot groups ran between 2" and 4". I tried everything, glass bedding, free float barrel, and changed scopes. After several years of frustration, I checked the barrel twist rate. Best I could tell using a tight patch and cleaning rod, the twist rate was about 1:11. I loaded up several different loads using 120 gr NBT. The groups tightened up with the best being 1 1/8".

huntfish

I have an old M77 .300winmag that is completely stock, and probably the most accurate centerfire rifle I have ever owned. Shoots well under an inch at 100 with a Bushnell scope. Never noticed the barrel being any hotter than any other rifle.

Same with my 30.06 bought in 1981. It's my go to gun.

A few things come to mind.

Loose screws holding the action in the stock.
Loose screws in the scope mounts.
Copper fouling in the barrel
Bedding issues in the stock
Dent or Nick in the crown

More than likely the culprit.

Buzz

As others have said - I'd check for copper fouling. Use wipeout (foaming bore cleaner and let it sit overnight. Then do it again. Chances are it's going to come out BLUE which means it had copper fouling.

Ruger action screws are interesting. The front angled one needs to be pretty tight. Many people mess up by screwing the intermediate screw tight and putting pressure on the action. You can help your alignment by pressing the barrel into the carpet (or other surface to keep from scratching and applying heavy pressure to the buttstock as you tighten the front angled bedding screw.

Other than that test a known good scope. When you say it became inaccurate after 90-120 rounds I take that to meant it once DID shoot well? If so there's without a doubt a solvable problem. Some rifles simply are not accurate from the factory for many reasons.

Offroadtek

I had a tang safety 77 in 270 a while back. You'd want to throw it on the ground if you were shooting groups with it. Best it shot was 1 1/2" @ 100yds with Win. Silver tips, and about 3 or 4" with most other stuff. Now some 77s have been known to shoot quite well. But most are just "acceptable". You'll notice you never see long range rifles build on ruger actions.

bevills1

Once I had a friend with a Savage model 10 in 7mm Mag in which bullets key holed with some hitting target sideways and was very inaccurate. He traded it in a gun shop for a Remington 700 in 300 Mag that was very accurate. My point is some guns are just lemons, and maybe this Ruger is too. Hope I'm wrong and hope you resolve the accuracy problem.

jglenn

original 77s(tang safety) were very hit and miss for accuracy. at that time ruger out sourced their barrels. now days they do their own( hammer forged) and are much better

the old ones sort if put me off Rugers.

gahunter12

I have a M77 7mmRM. Its a really nice shooter. I got mine for Christmas about 20yrs ago. Mine has the SS Bolt with the 3 - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - safty. I haven't touched my scope in 7 yrs.

bwagon83

I have a 1971 m77 tang safety .308 that does exactly what you are describing. I have bedded the action and floated the barrel. This gun will shoot sub moa if I let the barrel cool between shots with handloads. Without cooling a consistent 1.5-2". Even without cooling first 2 shots are still sub moa but opens up after that. Really frustrated me until I realized what was going on because. This is generally my go to hunting rifle even though I have others and under rare circumstances will I ever need more than 2 consecutive shots but even if I do its still close enough to get the job done. As others have stated I suspect it's a bedding issue but check the easier stuff first. Good luck!