rut tactics?

Ritzer

Banned
hey all,
i was wonderin what tactics work best for the rut? i am heading to crawford tomorrow to hunt all weekend. i have doe in heat attrctant but should i use a bleat call like the can? also is it better to hunt thick stuff or more open areas this time of year?

Jack Flynn

Get in a position to see as much ground as you can in good deer country. I prefer very large cutovers, does are almost always in them and the bucks will too. Grunt every 15 minutes quick snappy grunts. Get the gun ready.

Booner Killa

take the horns too and if you see a buck you want to take a look at tickle the horns a little. After you grunt, get ready because many times, if it's gonna happen, it'll happen quick and you may only have a couple secs to get a shot off. I second the idea of getting where you can see a long way. Good luck!!!!!

Catfish369

Right now , through the end of November is a great time for "doe-in-heat" scents. The bucks are looking for the does that are in or near estrus and will cover lots of ground on the lookout. The grunt call can also be a big help.

As mentioned, look for the does and the bucks will show up. Key in on feeding areas for the does. If hunting in a high pressured area such as public land, forget the open areas but try to fing simi-open areas nearby, (called "staging areas") where the big-boys will hang out until after dark. Bottoms, tall pines & hardwoods, and old, partially grownover logging roads next to large, open areas make for great staging areas.

Good luck.

rex upshaw

i agree, be where the does are. one thing i l do is is use a drag when i am walking to my stand and then, depending on the wind, i will put out a couple of scent disc and hang them on several branches. i personally have never had any luck with the can, but have heard of plenty of others that have. i think the can is another tool, it might not work on some deer, but others it could bring them in....just don't use it too much. during the pre rut, before the bucks are already with the does, when they are cruising, rattling, grunting will work best....the can might work well here too. once the rut is full on, i would make sure you are in an area where the doe's are going to be. at this time, it is going to be difficult to use a grunt or horns to pull a buck away from a doe that is hot.