Screven county

mpowell

update on my manicure

tom--sadly, after all your help last night, i chipped a nail this morning while frothing my triple mocha latte for me and my significant other.

i just can't seem to keep my nails!!!

Last edited:

broadhead

Not much action

I went Saturday and Sunday mornings and saw no deer. There was plenty of bushy tail action. They were eating the tupelo berrys and dropping them on my head.

Tom Borck

Banned
9-17

Friday afternoon I jumped a buck going into my stand, the deer was a nice buck and appeared to still be in velvet, it was hard to tell as it was running away. Pulled the bow back on a nice 8 point buck, but he would not slow down and give me a good shot. Had another deer walk right under my tree as I was climbing down. Starting to see more and more rubs!

mpowell

9-17 through 9-19

friday evening i hunted with borck on a great piece of property right in sylvania. barely had my arrown nocked when a 3 point in velvet appeared to my right. came in right under the stand and sniffed the tink's i put out. fed on some browse then headed to the food plot we planted about a month ago. at 6:40 i had, at first glance a shooter buck appear from the right. i got ready to make shot but noticed he was only a 6 point with very nice brow tines and great mass. if he'd been an 8 i would have let one fly! he headed down the same path as the smaller buck to the food plot. saw a doe about 7:40.

didn't see anything saturday or sunday morning except squirrels and birds! beautiful weather and i just knew i was going to see deer.

sunday evening i hunted a branch right next to a new cut over. had a nice doe come in on me about 10 till 7. got ready to make the shot but she veered to the right just before she was about to get in the kill zone. saw another doe near dark.

acorns are everywhere--some green some ripened up. bucks are really starting to get in gear with rubs and scrapes as well.

mpowell

2 for 2 on the season

i took a nice, fat doe last night about 7:25. i got in the stand about 5:45 overlooking an iron clay pea patch and i had deer on me starting at 6 p.m. on! saw 7 or 8 all together but some might have been the same deer. not 100% sure.

i actually shot over another deer to wax her. i've drawn back on two and put two in the cooler so i'm very pleased. hope my luck holds out!!! now, if only a big buck will walk out broadside. these does are practice for the big game!

thanks tom for the help. nice to share the moment with good friends. that's what it's all about! we did take some pics but they didn't come out with my digital camera. i put new batteries in before the shots and my camera reverted back to low quality setting and the lighting from my jeep floodlights glared. sorry! i'll do better next time.

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
Dang,Powell you're wearing 'em out!Good hunting and shooting,buddy!I guess some of the Buckmaster's luck must be rubbing off on you!:D

Echo

mpowell

ernie--i request i now be called . . .

the doemaster. if tom can be buckmaster, can't i be doemaster?

okay, maybe it doesn't quite have the same ring to it. i'm making up for lost time and what better way to do it than make kill shots on nice does?

don't worry. i didn't even go today so all the does were safe at the 150. they've probably posted wanted signs up for me now anyway. all the small bucks i've seen are safe as well. hopefully, the big one will pop out some time for one of us. i'd be happy to see a pope and young come of the lease.

mpowell

guess it beats hitting them with cars. i tell you after seeing all the does last night you know there's no shortage of them on the property.

keep killin them does mpowell last year i killed 10 and still all together we killed 23 on our 400 acre farm in monroe county and we still didnt put a dent in the doe population . by killin more does when rut comes mr big will have to go further out of bed to look for a doe!!! good luck to all keep them kills comin doemaster

O

OFD2Truck

Hunted the property last weekend, guess everyone is still picking up from the storms down here because my girlfriend and I had the entire 3500 to ourselves. Hunted a small foodplot the first night without seeing a single thing :banginghe Overslept :bounce: I mean got up late and set up for the evening hunt. Placed a ground blind up near a nice oak dropping. Got to the stand about 6 and heard something walking next to the blind. Used one of the ameristep blinds (small for two people) and couldnt see anything through the windows. Stuck my head out and there was a nice fat doe at 8yds. Just getting the better half into hunting and she wanted to watch the shot. She puts down her cosmo magazine (didnt know they made so much noise) and tries to look out the side window. As I come to full draw, she lets out an "aw...its so beautifull" and the deer is out of site in two bounds. Bottom line was she has a new respect for hunting stating she didnt realize how hard it was and she cant wait until muzzleloaded to try to get her first. I advised her no more magazines and she laughed agreeing. Beautifull sunsets and sunrises were witnessed and like other posts, so much property and food out there, you just have to be in the right place at the right time!. Good luck to all and be safe

O

OFD2Truck

2 miles west of RockyFord off 17. Large tract of soybeans on right side just past Osbolt Ln. Mr. Howard leases us some land as well. I see you are in Statesboro, owner of most of the property is Wendell Ellis, lives in hopyalik it which I believe is off 80. Where do you hunt???