Screven county

O

OFD2Truck

Thought that name was kind of funny :bounce: Do you know which property we are on????

mpowell

not much action last night. had two smaller does feed in the food plot i was hunting for about 15 minutes. they came in about 6 p.m. they eventually got their fill and headed on. probably the warmest afternoon hunt of the season so far for me.

ofdtruckie

strutt: I think they are a club just east of us. Only problem we have had was surrounding clubs dumpin dogs over the fence. Our club up until 4 yrs ago ran dogs a well and if one finds his way on our property we will gladly catch it and put it in one of our existing kennels. The problem we have with any club is slob hunters who intentionaly drop dogs over the fence. Had that problem a few years ago and took care of it. Sad part about it was they burned our camp down. Werent able to prove who it was but I can assure you that if I see the gentleman who made a threat to burn the camp down then I can assure you there will be some woopin. All in all we havent had that much of a problem. Plan on heading up the 15th for second week of muzzle...good luck to all!

O

OFD2Truck

the above post was by me OFD2Truck but my driver who is also a woodys member who hunts in dooley county was signed on....dont know what to do to him other than :whip:

i hear ya i would too what the name of yalls club i got outof the islands club because the vice pres bullied everyone around and no one would stand up 2 him what a jerk :whip: :whip: :whip:

jeclif

well cuz we hunt cose to each other
You are not one of the people who is hunting on my property are you :D
just kidding
hope you have luck I only hunt with a gun now I'm tooo old to bow hunt any more and it's to hot for me right now mabee it will cool off soon

mpowell

weekend update

saw 6 deer friday evening in pea patch. four were yearlings still with spots. two nice does as well. saw two does saturday night.

guess i'll be at it this afternoon and see what happens. holding out for some antlers right now! just a matter of time and being in the woods.

Tom Borck

Banned
Hunted yesterday....HOT, HUMID and basically miserable! Saw a doe and yearling, they were feeding on the freshly fallen acorns. Peas patches have been worn out, soybeans are starting to turn, most of the corn has been harvested. And to top it off, they have started digging peanuts. So, the abundant agriculture food source in our area is drying up! Best part is that the deer will begin to search other food sources and move!

Got 3-4 in. of rain from Jeanne.

mpowell

only deer i heard was one blowing at me as i climbed out of my stand around 8. hot and not much fun to hunt yesterday. oh well, can't win them all. looks like it will be cooling off a little for next week. can't wait.

Last edited:

broadhead

I hunted Wednesday evening and watched a yearling feed for 10-15 mins. The sand gnats fed on me. Thermacell does not seem to work on these critters as well as it does mosquitoes.
I've got next week off. I plan to hunt A LOT! :clap:

Tom Borck

Banned
I have seen more buck sign, rubs, scrapes, areas where bucks were fighting, tracks and did I say SCRAPES!! The buck sign on all the properties I hunt is more than I have seen in my almost 20 years of hunting!!! On one tract of land I bet I saw 100 trees rubbed, and some of these trees were 5-7 in. in diameter. Another tract we hunt I found a pine tree as big as my thigh that has been slap tore up!! Scrapes as big as car hoods, with fresh buck urine! :speechles

I found a dead buck that probably scores 130 plus (10 point 20 in. spread) :speechles and a smaller 10 point that would socre mid 120's (16 in spread)! Acorns are dropping very fast, but there seems to be plenty on the tree still. Deer are starting in on the wheat and oats that has come up pretty good. Somebody on our place is going to shoot a sure enough MONSTER this year!

It looks like the Pre-Rut is right around the corner! Could be an early rut??? ::huh:

I predict some good bucks will come out of Screven this year. ::; ::; ::; Maybe it might be me? ::; ::;

Two BIG bucks were seen on several of the properties. And I saw two nice bucks on our place!

This past week the bucks have been very busy, I am certain 99% of this was done at night. It has been hot as a well digger's armpit on the Fourth of July, so I am sure they have been moving at night.

mpowell

you're right, tom. lots of buck sign and activity. i have a good feeling SOMEONE on the club is going to get a chance at a very nice buck. you just about couldn't walk around that property without stepping in a fresh scrape! really was amazing.

the rack you found on the dead deer--wow. definitely a shooter buck! hope his son or grandson is around.

too bad it was so hot this weekend. tough to sit in the stand with the heat and humidity. middle of this week, things should be changing for the better though. can't wait!

Last edited: