Screven county

Tom Borck

Banned
The one tract of land is a new piece that has not been hunted in thepast several years. I think a dog brought the other one to the side of the road at the other place. ::huh:

Found tow big bucks last year also! Not sure what is going on ::huh: I think at one club they are dying from old age.

O

OFD2Truck

Sounds like it has been hot up there :banginghe , Heading up the 15th, do they anticipate it cooling off anytime soon?

Dog Hunter

I think I need to become part of that club and maybe help them out with their problem.. That is a shame about those two bucks.

broadhead

It's On!

Yep, the pre-rut activity is going on just like Tom described. I saw seven deer Sunday PM. Couldn't get a shot. The rubs and scrapes are like nothing I've ever seen before.

Tom Borck

Banned
Went Sat. Am, saw 8 point, 7 point, 2- Spikes, buttonhead, two does. Went this morning 10/12 and saw a nice 6 point w/ 17-18 in spread and on tall tined 4 point. The deer are eating acorns, corn, and some of the green stuff planted. Let them all walk! I do have my eye on the buttonhead and if he makes the same mistake twice, he will surely pay! :D

Looking to be a GREAT season!!!!

mpowell

well, had a very eventful gun opening weekend.

didn't see a thing on saturday morning. but, sat. afternoon, i saw more deer out of my stand than any time EVER since i've been hunting. started out seeing a coyote cruising through. next, i saw 15-20 turkeys (couldn't quite keep the right count) with two does feeding. after that, the flood gates broke i had deer coming at me from all directions. all total, i must have seen 15 deer and i don't think any were the same deer because they all came in two's or four's from different directions. amazing. no big bucks, though.

sunday morning i went back and climbed the same tree. saw 9 deer including a very nice 8 pt. that was tailing two does. this was about 9:45. i whistled, grunted, tried everything but yelling at him to get him to stop for me. unfortunately he wouldn't. so, i took a hail mary shot at him through a small gap in the pines and missed. he lived to fight another day. he only wanted to be with those does!

last night, i saw four deer two does and both were being tailed by small bucks. one a fork horn the other a cow horn spike. the four pt. was grunting and getting through the pines. every step he took in his trot he grunted. i could hear him coming.

the weather really helped get things going. too bad it's going to be back in the 80's and maybe some 90's down here during the afternoons. a good thing can't last!

Tom Borck

Banned
mpowell said:
well, had a very eventful gun opening weekend.

didn't see a thing on saturday morning. but, sat. afternoon, i saw more deer out of my stand than any time EVER since i've been hunting. started out seeing a coyote cruising through. next, i saw 15-20 turkeys (couldn't quite keep the right count) with two does feeding. after that, the flood gates broke i had deer coming at me from all directions. all total, i must have seen 15 deer and i don't think any were the same deer because they all came in two's or four's from different directions. amazing. no big bucks, though.

sunday morning i went back and climbed the same tree. saw 9 deer including a very nice 8 pt. that was tailing two does. this was about 9:45. i whistled, grunted, tried everything but yelling at him to get him to stop for me. unfortunately he wouldn't. so, i took a hail mary shot at him through a small gap in the pines and missed. he lived to fight another day. he only wanted to be with those does!

last night, i saw four deer two does and both were being tailed by small bucks. one a fork horn the other a cow horn spike. the four pt. was grunting and getting through the pines. every step he took in his trot he grunted. i could hear him coming.

the weather really helped get things going. too bad it's going to be back in the 80's and maybe some 90's down here during the afternoons. a good thing can't last!

DANG!! Somebody must have put you on a GREAT stand! Sounds like a good place to hunt! Just need to move my feeder and tripod out of the way so you don't shoot either one of them. :bounce: :speechles

mpowell

you need to move that tripod over there so no one has to climb a tree.

i was soaking wet with sweat yesterday after having to cut 10 limbs off the planted pine i climbed. and, we're not talking about little 2 inch limbs. i sounded like a lumberjack. want to talk about a workout!

i know you didn't hunt as much as you would have liked during bow season, tom, but why you didn't sneak into those pines at least once i don't know.

broadhead

Yep

It was a mighty fine weekend for hunting. I scored on a fat doe Saturday morning. One walked through a hardwood/pine ridge that I was sitting in. She had a huge body and never showed her head until she was directly under my feet. She walked on. I waited for a buck to follow. He didn't show. An hour or so later another doe...may have been the same one came feeding through and gave me a fifty yard shot. She ran downhill a few yards and expired. Why do they never run uphill? I know...if I had been shot, I wouldn't either.... :speechles
That afternoon I watched two does and two button heads feed for about half an hour and a doe and a yearling feed until dark.
Sunday AM I watched a doe and yearling. The yearling fed in front of me for an hour. The doe wandered in and out of sight. She was trying to wean him. She kept running him off when he tried nurse.
All in all it was great weekend of hunting for me. I'm looking forward to next weekend when my daughter will go with me after her first deer. ::;

Tom Borck

Banned
mpowell said:
you need to move that tripod over there so no one has to climb a tree.

i was soaking wet with sweat yesterday after having to cut 10 limbs off the planted pine i climbed. and, we're not talking about little 2 inch limbs. i sounded like a lumberjack. want to talk about a workout!

i know you didn't hunt as much as you would have liked during bow season, tom, but why you didn't sneak into those pines at least once i don't know.

The acorns did not start falling until late bow season, that is when I suggested you go there......what are friends for?

There was not much sign around those oak trees until the last week in bow season.

Tom Borck

Banned
Deer have begun to move into more a nocturnal pattern, we are not seeing as many deer as we did during the start of the season.

Scrapes have not been checked in several weeks, most rubs have not been touched up. Deer are basically staying close to bedding and acorns!

They are venturing into the food plots right at dark.

Still plenty of acorns on the tree and I would expect them to last well into Dec.!!!

HUNT ACORNS!!!

SWAMPFOX

Tom Borck

Tom,
What's your prognostication for where they're gonna be hanging out Thanksgiving weekend. It seems the ones at my place are chowing down on water oak acorns and honeysuckle. Haven't seen much in the way of hot rubs/scrapes. How 'bout you?

broadhead

Anybody been having any luck lately? Some does and a massive buck were taken on our club recently. I didn't see the buck, but I was told it was a 20+ inch spread eight point with some stickers.
Acorns were falling on my head in the stand last week. I couldn't believe they were still dropping.