skinning your own deer

Predator56

Doing it yourself adds to the hunting experience in my opinion and tastes much better and is fresher. I dont always trust the sterility of processors

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
dress my own deer

Skin 'em with the old golfball trick, pulling the hide off with a fourwheeler or truck. quarter, peel out the backstrap and tenderloins first. Then collect all other meat such as neck, brisket, ribmeat and whatever the knife can get. Ribmeat and scraps make great jerky. Brisket and neck makes good ground meat, sausage or stew. Shoulders make good stew, sausage, or ground meat. Best cuts off the hams make great roast, steaks, what's left throw into the ground meat, sausage pile. Tenderloin rarely leaves camp, backstrap is great butterfly cut and grilled or fried. When I get through with a carcass a coyote wont even give it a thought. I never cut a bone as the marrow is rank, also remove all fat and excess tissue. If you don't have a cuber a meat tenderizing hammer works just as well. A small home appliance meat grinder takes time, but can make good ground meat and sausage. Shucks I like to do my own, then I know what's in it and know it's clean. Years ago I tried a few processors and found hair, fat and stringy tissue in the packaged meat. That did it for me. Also caught one fellow shorting me on steaks and backstrap. :type:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
clean your own deer

I forgot to mention, If you dress your deer soon after getting it out of the woods. The tenderloins, (up inside the lowerback area) can be removed by hand without gutting the animal. Just imagine where the kidneys are, cut a small slit thru the meat from outside. Reach inside with a hand to locate and seperate the small tenderloins. Some can be completely removed by hand, then some demand some help of a small knife on each end where they're attached by tendons. Come on guys, it only takes about 30 minutes to skin and quarter up a deer. hang them by the head, makes the job easier. Forget that old gamble stuff from the 1800's. :type:

Mac

I do my own processing

Make jerky with a shooter, use everything but the ribs. last year I started processing without field dressing. Works great, not near the mess.

H

HT2

Cf.....

Yep, I've skinned a few in my day........

We skin 'em at our camp, then we quarter them up........Throw 'em in the freezer at camp until we head home and then put 'em in the freezer at home....

Then at the end of the season, we pick a day or two out to get in the "meat shop" and process 'em ourselves.....

We usually only do "cube steak" and "ground deer"........

UMMMMM GOOD!!!!!!!! :cool:

Timbo

Originally by HuntNut,

It's not worth taking small deer to a processor any more as most have gotten to expensive

"ha-ha,could you imagen what they would say after you left". :D

Larry Rooks

I skin my own. I don't leave anything in the woods except the gut pile, and it is left well away from any stand sight or anywhjere near where someone will hunt. I don't want to smell rotting carcasses and I'm sure they don't either. I carry my deer to the processor gutted, skinned, and quartered in a cooler packed with ice. And that is only if I want saudage made, The rest, I do myself

E

Etter1

We took a guy to bear camp this year that has hunted his whole life and killed tons of deer. He asked me if I would skin and butcher his bear because he had NEVER done it in his life. I almost got sick right there.....then I put 3 hours into his bear!

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
It's the same basic process isn't it???

Only thing I've skinned other than a deer is a couple of wild boars I shot. Same thing, but the skin is a lot tougher!!

Tommy

E

Etter1

Yeah Tommy,
It's exactly the same except for there is more fat. This guy had never done a deer. The only thing about the bear is you have to skin the whole thing well if you want a rug or something. You skin down the inside of all legs and work your way around them until the paws can be cut off with a saw. When you're done the hide still has paws and a head.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Pretty interesting Sean.

I'd like to have a good bear rug. I'd have it tacked up on the wall somewhere! Just don't have any bears on the lease I could hunt!!!

You getting ready for Cedar Creek??

Tommy

E

Etter1

Man, I'm telling you. I am loaded down with classes this week but all I can think about is preparing for next week. I'll pack up monday and leave after class on tuesday. That way I can get down and do some scouting and put my stand up before wednesday morning. I hope we get some good weather. Give me a holler if you're planning on coming down.

broadhead

Now with the money you just saved by doing it yourself go buy a VACUME SEALER I can't say enough about these things they are excelent for everything no frezer burn ever.
I've been thinking about getting one myself. Thanks for the info.