Smoke cover scent using a bee smoker

Lumpkin Hunter

I know this has been discussed over the last few years but this will be the first year I try it myself. I have ordered a bee smoker and plan on trying it so has one of my buddies. What my question is what is the specific material you use for smoke in it? I watched on video that said dry pine needles works very well. Do any of you that do it use saw dust or wood shavings like we use to put in our chicken houses from sawmills. If the shavings work well what about using the type that you can buy in the bags for your dog pins or chicken coops.
I'm looking forward to trying something new this year, I like new stuff. I've tried a lot of scent control over the 45 or so years I've hunted with some helping and some not. Using the wind is the most important but I do feel that the smoker will be an advantage at least it's going to give this old guy a new trick.

Thanks for any suggestions you have for fuel of the smoker.

Killdee

I only use hardwood chips, hickory most all the time. You can google scent smoker and go to the Ohio sportsman forum for info on this. Here is a reason, more carbon. This is from the scent smoker site

Any type of hardwood works, apple, cherry, oak, hickory etc. Nothing soft like pine or poplar. That's because wood smoke has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. These properties are found in higher concentrations in hardwood smoke. It not only smell like smoke. But it also kills bacteria and microbes that cause odor.

Kris87

Get some of the small hickory hardwood chips used for smoking. Not the chunks, the little dime size pieces. Hickory works the best I've found.

Jim Boyd

Hickory chips for me.

Good luck

I use a small torch to speed the process of getting everything lit.

Lumpkin Hunter

Thanks for the info the hickory is what I was thinking from what I could remember others had posted on here. Do you smoke your close the morning or evening of the hunt or the day before? Some youtube videos show guys using a blind putting their cloths in it and the smoker a day before the hunt. After that they place them in an air tight container. if you do it just before the hunt how long does it take for you to feel you have a good covering on your cloths?
Again thanks for the help.

Killdee

I smoke before every hunt, I light the smoker and let it burn while I get my stuff together then I blow it out to get the rich heavy smoke and smoke every thing I'm wearing pack gun bow hat boot bottoms and bare skin and hair. I do still use unscented soap on my clothes and body to begin with, unscented deodorant and don't wear cologne ever. I do this anyway year around. I hit a period last year where it didn't seem to work as well, not sure why but have used smoke very successfully over the past 8-10 years.

HuntingFool

Like Killdee I start the fire in my smoker while getting my stuff together right before walking in. Cap the smoker and start smoking pack, stand, myself and all gear. I pour a little water in smoker to put it out and leave on my trailer.

Johnny 71

Junebug
Everyone has you on the right track, just one thing, go ahead and try it now, that way if it messes up your allergies, you will have plenty of time to back up and punt, I didn’t have trouble, but my dad can’t do it, because of sinus trouble caused by the smoke

Lumpkin Hunter

Again guys thanks for the information. My smoker should be delivered Friday so I'll for sure try it out before hunting season. Like Killdee I already use scent free soap, deodorant and the wind. I think adding the smoke will help with scent control.
Good luck to everyone this year.

ROBD

I built a small fire with green pine straw and put my ground blind over it. I then put my clothes on a metal rack inside of the tent. Low and slow is the key!

Jim Boyd

I smoke before every hunt, I light the smoker and let it burn while I get my stuff together then I blow it out to get the rich heavy smoke and smoke every thing I'm wearing pack gun bow hat boot bottoms and bare skin and hair. I do still use unscented soap on my clothes and body to begin with, unscented deodorant and don't wear cologne ever. I do this anyway year around. I hit a period last year where it didn't seem to work as well, not sure why but have used smoke very successfully over the past 8-10 years.

Ditto!

As mentioned I also spill a pint or so of water in smoker to make sure it is out....

nmurph

How many people that use a smoker as a cover scent also believe that you can't hide a human sent through bathing and laundry?

bowandgun

been using one for a few seasons and it really works. I believe in washing myself and clothes with scent free stuff. I also use an ozone generator on my gear and clothes. then smoke with smoker. Don't forget the bottom of your boots, I have witnessed old does walk right of my entry path and not even flinch. Smoker works!

j_seph

Get the deer familiar with your cologne every time you carry bait in, then you will have em trained to smell your cologne and come a running.

Deernut3

I've been curious about this smoker thing. Been seeing it for a few years in some of the midwest forums and most of them swear by it. My question was whether it was done in conjunction with other scent control or in the place of other methods.

Killdee

I use scent free soap and laundry and no cologne but that’s Year round for me. I think it’s more effective to not have to cover up strong odors.

DAVE

If you want the best cover and attractant scent you should only use apple flavored corn from Wal-mart in your smoker.