Big Green Egg….is it worth it??

Triple C

So I’ve been thinking about getting one. For those who’ve had a pellet smoker and a green egg, what do you find yourself using the most/easiest? How tedious is it?

I have a PitBoss pellet smoker I’ve been using for years and it’s been awesome! It’s getting close to end of its life and I’m not sure if I should stick with it or get an egg.
If you like the pellet grill (love mine), then consider rounding out your arsenal with a Blackstone griddle and old fashion Weber kettle.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you like the pellet grill (love mine), then consider rounding out your arsenal with a Blackstone griddle and old fashion Weber kettle.
I also love my Char-griller Outlaw barrel grill with the cast-iron grates. I wouldn't trade it for five kettles for my use and cooking style for simple grilling.

LTZ25

I've never owned an Acorn but alway thought they were a better design and
price than an Egg .

specialk

Here's an oldie but a goodie. I've cooked a lot of good meals on this bullet.
i had one back in the 90s....had the electric conversion kit that fit in the bottom.....smoked a lot of chicken back then.....

ssramage

I've had my BGE for going on 15 years and have cooked a pile of good meals on it.

But... with 3 young kids at home and the demands of life, I very rarely cook on it anymore. I picked up a pellet smoker last year and a 36" Blackstone. Between those two, I don't have much need for the Egg honestly.

Dr. Strangelove

I want to add this to the thread:

My large BGE had been languishing in hibernation the last couple of years because the firebox and fire ring had fallen apart and I had broken the plate setter (now called the conveggtor, lol). The bottom shell broke years ago (it was actually my fault, it got damaged in a move) and I fixed it with JB Weld.

I recently went into a pool and spa place here in Athens that also was an Egg dealer to sign up for our neighborhood pool and got to talking with the sales guy - he encouraged me to send him pictures of the broken parts.

I ended up with a new bottom shell, band set, firebox and fire ring, basically a new egg except for the top. Absolutely the easiest warranty replacement I've ever done. That Egg is 25yrs old and I never registered it - I bought it an Eggtoberfest in 1998.

I'm refurbing the nest and the side tables now. Expensive - yes. Not many places will give you a brand new replacement product 25yrs later, especially a grill that lives outdoors and is subjected to high cooking temps and one thing and another.

Something to think about.

Last edited:

DannyW

I want to add this to the thread:

My large BGE had been languishing in hibernation the last couple of years because the firebox and fire ring had fallen apart and I had broken the plate setter (now called the conveggtor, lol). The bottom shell broke years ago (it was actually my fault, it got damaged in a move) and I fixed it with JB Weld.

I recently went into a pool and spa place here in Athens that also was an Egg dealer to sign up for our neighborhood pool and got to talking with the sales guy - he encouraged me to send him pictures of the broken parts.

I ended up with a new bottom shell, band set, firebox and fire ring, basically a new egg except for the top. Absolutely the easiest warranty replacement I've ever done. That Egg is 25yrs old and I never registered it - I bought it an Eggtoberfest in 1998.

I'm refurbing the nest and the side tables now. Expensive - yes. Not many places will give you a brand new replacement product 25yrs later, especially a grill that lives outdoors and is subjected to high cooking temps and one thing and another.

Something to think about.
Sounds like a RCBS warranty!