Big Green Egg….is it worth it??

pjciii

Never seen that. I just put kabobs on the grate. I have the stainless and cast iron grates. Also have a grill mates grate I think it’s called.
It has a rotisserie and kabob rods. I have the iron grate and the stainless and I use my kitchen torch to light the coals runs on butane and put out a really hot flame.

specialk

I'd prefer a good pellet grill but it's way too humid here in OC on the Broad River and pellets quickly swell-up and clog the auger feeder.

Had the egg for 5 years and cooked on it 4 days a week for first couple years but I got lazy and back-slid..

..now I mostly use a propane that's up inside my screened-in porch.
Have a friend that measures out what he needs for a cook and pours that amount in...learning curve but he got it down pat now...

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I got the best of all 3 worlds. Akorn for when I'm slummin' and just need to cook some burgers or chops, Blackstone for when it rains or I want to do a quick breakfast or fried rice and when I get serious about rickin' up a passel of Q I got the Stumps Junior.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I got the best of all 3 worlds. Akorn for when I'm slummin' and just need to cook some burgers or chops, Blackstone for when it rains or I want to do a quick breakfast or fried rice and when I get serious about rickin' up a passel of Q I got the Stumps Junior.
Oddly, I've had my Akorn for about a decade, and I don't reckon I've ever cooked a burger or steak on it that I can remember. Those go on my barrel grill. I mostly use the Akorn for indirect grilling, smoking, and pizzas.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Oddly, I've had my Akorn for about a decade, and I don't reckon I've ever cooked a burger or steak on it that I can remember. Those go on my barrel grill. I mostly use the Akorn for indirect grilling, smoking, and pizzas.

I've got an Akorn at deer camp and it does it all. It's a great little smoker and it'll sear a ribeye in a jiffy. We had thick filets serenaded in Paymaster's wet rub over hickory smoke Saturday night. They were off the chain good. :rockon:

Mars

I'm very pleased with my outdoor cooking equipment. That said I plan to get a new Akorn soon. I like to run mine really hot when cooking pizzas and I think that has caused premature rusting.
20230419_165708.jpg

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Truth is, if I had the storage I'd probably have one of everything.

We just got back from Lowes. They had the 2 burner Blackstone for $299. I mentioned it would be perfect for deer camp. But then I got "The Look™" and that was the end of that pipe dream. :bounce:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I'm familiar with that "look". :cautious:
:bounce: :rockon:

I'll just wait until I'm headed to deer camp. That's what she said I would do anyway. It'll just show up as a charge on the VISA at Lowes, no description.

TJay

I'll just wait until I'm headed to deer camp. That's what she said I would do anyway. It'll just show up as a charge on the VISA at Lowes, no description.
I've got a small tailgate style pellet grill at camp. Sure is handy.
When I grow up I wanna get me one of those Stumps smokers!
:bounce:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I've got a small tailgate style pellet grill at camp. Sure is handy.
When I grow up I wanna get me one of those Stumps smokers!
:bounce:

Here's hoping a Stump's Junior is in your future! :bounce: :rockon:

specialk

Thats very naughty!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Wasn't that when you fixed the toilet a while back? :bounce:

Tight Lines

It has a rotisserie and kabob rods. I have the iron grate and the stainless and I use my kitchen torch to light the coals runs on butane and put out a really hot flame.
Does it replace the hinge point so it can close? I assume it must otherwise it would be a run away fire open continuously...

pjciii

Does it replace the hinge point so it can close? I assume it must otherwise it would be a run away fire open continuously...

I couldn't figure that out. The angle is bad

Here is a different one that looks like it is not dependant on a lid extension

Last edited: