Big Green Egg….is it worth it??

Tight Lines

Amen brother. I wanted to post that earlier today. To me everything I've ever had on the BGE taste the same. Maybe because of that BGE charcoal. :huh: I'm just not a fan.
You can certainly change the flavor with different charcoal, wood, and rubs...but nothing comes out not smokey for sure...

DannyW

Love the BGE. Everything I have tasted cooked on one is great.

I just can't afford to pay $1,500 for a smoker/grill. My loss.

TJay

Not sure if I'd spring for one nowadays or not. My large BGE is 12 years old and back then for the basic egg and a deflector it was over $600. A pretty good chunk of change back then.

Tight Lines

Love the BGE. Everything I have tasted cooked on one is great.

I just can't afford to pay $1,500 for a smoker/grill. My loss.
If you can go to Eggtoberfest they sell the demo units there and right after for steep discounts. Used once, seasoned, and ready to go...25-35% off...

Also, around here, a lot of people buy them, never figure them out, and then sell them. There is a medium on FB right now for $100. I was thinking of picking it up and cleaning it up for a third to cook multiple items at once...

pjciii

I tried a turkey breast smoking it. That was the one piece of meat that I thought got to much smoke. I usually lean towards apple chips and hickory chunks. I put the chips over the hot coals and an outer ring of Hickory chunks. Seems to work fine. There are alot of charcoal companies now making chunk charcoal. Some burn faster than others. When I first got it I would separate the charcoal. Large to medium to the BGE and the rest to the weber. That seems to work for me to keep the lower vent holes open. You can get the temp up there high enough that it produces a steak like Ruth Chris steakhouse cooks them.

specialk

i've had a large for 10+yrs and have cooked a lot of stuff on it, but my pellet gets a weekly workout now.....its just too easy....i still prefer steaks on the egg though....

LTZ25

The egg is more versatile than the pellet grill. I can get my egg up to 700F+ to sear a ribeye for 90 seconds a side or cook a brisket at 225F for 14 hours. As others have mentioned, there is a bit of a learning curve to the egg but doesn't take long. Both have their place and I've been thinking about adding a pellet grill to the mix for times when I am busy and just want to set it and forget it
I've got the XL BGE and the big Rec Tec if I could only have one it would be the Rec Tec , I live by myself and BGE is just to much trouble for what little I eat .

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've got the XL BGE and the big Rec Tec if I could only have one it would be the Rec Tec , I live by myself and BGE is just to much trouble for what little I eat .
How's that work when the power goes out? I don't recall ever having any "trouble" building a fire in a grill? My Akorn comes up to temp as fast as my buddy's electric pellet thingy.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good reason to have both.
If I was going to have only one, it wouldn't be one that wouldn't work without a cord plugged into an electric socket, and a sack of store bought pellets.

specialk

If I was going to have only one, it wouldn't be one that wouldn't work without a cord plugged into an electric socket, and a sack of store bought pellets.
You clearly have a lot of self control....i on the other hand do not....2 different size griddles, orion cooker, holland gasser, egg, traegar, and 2 small gassers for tailgating....i may need to see a therapist!!

pjciii

You clearly have a lot of self control....i on the other hand do not....2 different size griddles, orion cooker, holland gasser, egg, traegar, and 2 small gassers for tailgating....i may need to see a therapist!!
Do you have all that under cover till needed? Is that on a deck, patio or do you store that in garage?

specialk

Egg on deck, pellet, and one griddle in screened porch orion is pure stainless so it sits in the basement driveway....rest in my shop till needed...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, I've got the whole porch covered with grills and cookers.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Here are my cookers. Y'all know how I feel about my three Akorns and Blackstone. They meet every need I have. And the prices for my budget. The Akorn on the left is almost 12 years old and still cooks fine.IMG_20180411_191653.jpg20190312_181834.jpg20190529_151238_HDR.jpg