snake boots vs. chaps

Rabun

Hi Guy's, I have a pair of snake boots...rockies, which are not comfortable whatsoever (they were a gift). Have any of you guy's had much experience using chaps? If so, what brands do you like? I hunt the mountains.

Thanks!

killerv

Just make sure those chaps cover the top of the foot, I got struck once, but I had full boots on and that's where he hit me.

I'd buy a more comfortable boot. I had a pair of rockies one and they were terrible.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Chaps are too hot. Noisy too.

Rabun

Just make sure those chaps cover the top of the foot, I got struck once, but I had full boots on and that's where he hit me.

I'd buy a more comfortable boot. I had a pair of rockies one and they were terrible.

I was considering something like this...

Attachments

• Snake Chaps2.jpg
    Snake Chaps2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 467

Rabun

Those are snake leggings. Now those I like and use sometimes. Effective too.

Thanks Nic...yes, I used the wrong wrong terminology...I don't think the leg length chaps would be a good option either. My rockies are ok for relatively flat terrain, but a real pain when climbing and traversing steep grades. These leggings seem like a good option. Appreciate your feedback!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Thanks Nic...yes, I used the wrong wrong terminology...I don't think the leg length chaps would be a good option either. My rockies are ok for relatively flat terrain, but a real pain when climbing and traversing steep grades. These leggings seem like a good option. Appreciate your feedback!

No problem. These old Ranger brand snake leggings are close to 45 years old and I still trust them.

Attachments

• leggers.jpg
    leggers.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 460

Rabun

I got these in yesterday, wore them yesterday eve and this morning scouting and pretty sure I am going to love them!

https://www.amazon.com/LaCrosse-Mens-Alpha-Snake-Hunting/dp/B00Y1DUDK4

Thanks Buckstalker. I think I need better foot/ankle support hiking the mountains. My hunting boots work fine for hiking so was thinking of just adding the leggings for protection. They are pretty reasonably priced so if they don't work out, I'll have to cough up a couple bills for new snake boots.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Nic, I've only had mine for 42 years. Before I went to snake boots, I wore these with jungle boots--just went ahead and got the wet foot issue over with quickly and be done with it. ;)
Now older, I try to avoid discomfort. I wear these boots when I know I'll be in the wet and snake proof them with TurtleSkin gaiters. Gil

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Nic, I've only had mine for 42 years. Before I went to snake boots, I wore these with jungle boots--just went ahead and got the wet foot issue over with quickly and be done with it. ;)
Now older, I try to avoid discomfort. I wear these boots when I know I'll be in the wet and snake proof them with TurtleSkin gaiters. Gil

I wish the old Ranger Company was still in business. They had some good gear and clothes.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I used snake gaiters for years(your lower leg will sweat). Top of the foot won't have much protection. I think I still have my rangers in storage. I went to Lacrosse rubber snake boots 2 years ago because I got tired of wet feet and cottonmouths. I love them, but they changed them and took 2 inches off on the newer ones.

Rabun

Nic and GLS...man if those gators/chaps could talk...y'all have some serious mileage on those.

Swamprat

Swamprat
I prefer the boots.

Like I have told folks before....started land surveying in 1985 and have been in the nastiest of the nasty. Only been struck at 5 times, few hit the bottom of the boot and a few brushed pant leg.

Once you get around shin deep in water snakes boots, chaps, etc are basically useless.

You probably have a better chance of putting your hand down or sitting down close to a copperhead than getting struck at by a rattler or moccasin.

Pair of rubber boots with thick socks and pants tucked in are just as effective from stopping a normal strike.

fishnfool

Just curious which ones do you have because I had a pair of Rocky prowlers that lasted for years and very comfortable. Not waterproof
at all though, more like a sponge!
Every post above me knows more about gators than I so I'll skip that.
If you do decide to buy more snake boots give Cabelas Boa's a look.
I'm 3 years in on a pair and love them, best money I've spent!

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Pair of rubber boots with thick socks and pants tucked in are just as effective from stopping a normal strike.

A few years ago, a photograph and account of an Alabama turkey hunter in the hospital with a nasty lower leg bite by a rattler circulated on Facebook. His account of the incident was that on the morning of the bite he didn't feel like hassling with the laces on his snake boots so he opted for his Muck boots. The snake's fangs cut through the boots, pants and socks like a hot knife through butter. The link is dead or I'd be posting it. A couple of years ago a local businessman got lazy about wearing his snake boots and got struck leaving an evening deerstand. He spent some serious time in the hospital with a lower leg bite. Gil

Rabun

Just curious which ones do you have because I had a pair of Rocky prowlers that lasted for years and very comfortable. Not waterproof
at all though, more like a sponge!
Every post above me knows more about gators than I so I'll skip that.
If you do decide to buy more snake boots give Cabelas Boa's a look.
I'm 3 years in on a pair and love them, best money I've spent!

I'll have to look at the which one's they are...they are at camp right now. I ordered the chaps/gators and will see how they work out...don't mind spending the $38 for them to see how they work. If I'm not happy with them, I'll check out some other boots and including the Boa's. Thanks for your input!

Rabun

I prefer the boots.

Like I have told folks before....started land surveying in 1985 and have been in the nastiest of the nasty. Only been struck at 5 times, few hit the bottom of the boot and a few brushed pant leg.

Once you get around shin deep in water snakes boots, chaps, etc are basically useless.

You probably have a better chance of putting your hand down or sitting down close to a copperhead than getting struck at by a rattler or moccasin.

My typical terrain is mountains so walking through water is not much of an issue. However, when climbing up mountain sides, a snake could easily be waist high above you so nothing would help in those situations...just have to be very careful and deliberate where you place hands and what you grab and what is in front of you. The boots or chaps will at least allow me to spend less attention on where I'm placing my feet and allow me to concentrate more on what's ahead/around me. Thanks for your input!