Snake Boots?

hambone76

Yep, my LaCrosse Alphas require a boot jack for easy removal.
It may sound goofy, but buy some Gold Toe dress socks and they’ll slide right off. If you can’t find those, try some of the Under Armour socks that are made similar to dress socks.

Bubba_1122

I have Lacrosse and an older pair of Cabela's snake boots. Both are very comfortable. I wouldn't think of going into the swamps I hunt without them on.

I also have a pair of Chippewa zip up boots. That was $300 wasted. The zipper on the back makes them the most uncomfortable boots I've ever worn. Just rubs in exactly the wrong place. I've done everything I know to soften them up to make them wearable, but no luck with that. Just a really poor design IMO.

In the winter I wear snake boots with polypropylene liner and light wool socks - very warm and comfortable.

BASS1FUN

I wear mine all season except on extremely cold days,26 degrees and below I’ll wear my insulated boots

Whit90

I have not read through this whole thread so I may be repeating something already said, but there was a guy who posted on a facebook page (Georgia Deer Hunters Open Forum) about this. It happened the other day. He posted some pics of his leather boots and you can see two tiny pin holes in the upper side heel area. He showed a pic of his foot as well and only one fang made contact and barely got him. He said it still felt like his foot was on fire and had to make a hospital trip. It was a copper head. Doc said he was lucky it wasn't a rattler.

transfixer

I have not read through this whole thread so I may be repeating something already said, but there was a guy who posted on a facebook page (Georgia Deer Hunters Open Forum) about this. It happened the other day. He posted some pics of his leather boots and you can see two tiny pin holes in the upper side heel area. He showed a pic of his foot as well and only one fang made contact and barely got him. He said it still felt like his foot was on fire and had to make a hospital trip. It was a copper head. Doc said he was lucky it wasn't a rattler.

Situations like that are why I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing the snake gaiters, they leave your foot unprotected, a bite on the heel or front part of foot and you're still in trouble.

TomC

Situations like that are why I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing the snake gaiters, they leave your foot unprotected, a bite on the heel or front part of foot and you're still in trouble.

That's what bothers me about the Turtle Skin Gaiters I just bought. I guess a steel toe or composite toe work boot is the only real way to equal what you get from a big bulky snake boot but then you're right back to big and bulky.

hambone76

Now that’s interesting. They must be some kind of slick! Thanks!
You are welcome.
Aside from that, those socks are also good at collecting all of my Wife’s hair that her hair brush doesn’t catch.

Gbr5pb

Deer2 I have the same boot you bought. I got mine 15 yrs. ago and they are still good. I have only had one snake bite with them and it was a small diamond back. The bite was about mid ankle on the back of the boot. I didn't know when he bite the boot. I didn't see the snake until I walked out of the soybeans, I just drug him along with me. His fangs were hung in the leather.
Got your money worth outa them!

CaptKeith

I’m going with Turtleskin gaiters this year. I find my snake boots too stiff to walk quietly

CaptKeith

I'm sitting here listening to all the stiff boot complaints wondering why no one has invented a snake prrpf sock. Well here you go folks. Says they're made for law enforcement to protect needle punctures

https://www.snakesox.com/shop-snake-gaiters-for-hiking
I checked on those a couple of weeks ago and they are still not on the market for over a year from when they said they would open. Great idea though!

oldfella1962

I wear mine all season except on extremely cold days,26 degrees and below I’ll wear my insulated boots

Would snakes even be active if it's 26 degrees? :unsure: I read that below 60 degrees snakes are inactive/sluggish.

killerv

I got struck by a big timber opening day of turkey season, by myself, good half mile from truck. Got me on top of the foot, thank goodness for snake boots, gaiters just don't offer the protection needed there.

killerv

Would snakes even be active if it's 26 degrees? :unsure: I read that below 60 degrees snakes are inactive/sluggish.

Shoot, weve run into some big ones january rabbit huntin sunnin mid morning. Has to be a frost on the ground for me to not consider wearing snake boots.

CroMagnum

I got struck by a big timber opening day of turkey season, by myself, good half mile from truck. Got me on top of the foot, thank goodness for snake boots, gaiters just don't offer the protection needed there.
I agree with that 100%. I'd rather have uncomfortable snake boots than be even more uncomfortable in the hospital with a snake bite.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Do any of these boots offer a guarantee? Like a pay your hospital bill guarantee?

Only one I ever knew of that did was Continental Tyrolean, but that was back in the early to mid 1970s. I remember filling out the paperwork that came with them and sending it back to the company. $10,000 and they paid the hospital bill or your funeral expenses. That was the first pair that I owned, and you can rest assured that I tested them. As I continue to do with every pair I`ve owned since then.