Spinning reels

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Pflueger President and Shimamo are good quality for the money.

ryork

I picked up a couple Shimano Sadonas earlier this year for $69 and really like them. Like the Pfleugers too. I’ve got a couple of Mitchell reels that I’ve had for close to half my life (soon be 54). Don’t make em like that anymore.

I picked up a couple Shimano Sadonas earlier this year for $69 and really like them. Like the Pfleugers too. I’ve got a couple of Mitchell reels that I’ve had for close to half my life (soon be 54). Don’t make em like that anymore.
I’ve got a Mitchell 300 that I bought with a rod as a combo from Wal Mart over 25 years ago for less than $50. Not fancy but still works as good as the day I bought it.

Ajohnson0587

This is like "which truck brand is best", answers are going to be all over the place. My advice is, pick on based on the specs you want, try something new, you might like it. I've got a little bit of everything on the deck of my boat, Lews, Abu Garcia, Shimano, Daiwa, and a few others. Happy with all, but some hold a higher priority then others.

crackerdave

Can't go wrong with a Shimano.I really like my Baitrunner.
Penn reels were good before they were made in China,especially for saltwater.

Redbow

Shimano reels are great. So are the old Penn reels make in the USA and the Mitchell 300 reels old ones. Daiwa I have several good reels. Had a couple Pfleugers until I wore them out good reels also. But I think the best small reels I have ever owned were the D-A-M Quick reels made in Germany. I bought two when I got out of the Army in '69 one of them still works fine.

If I ever pay 200 bucks for a rod and reel I hope someone kicks my bottom real good, probably my Wife. But to each his own.

pbradley

One additional comment: if you're buying the reel in person, hold the reel by the seat and give the handle a good spin, looking for excessive rotor wobble. That's one reason I like the Shimano Sahara so much: minimal wobble.

A balanced reel fishes better and feels better.

sbroadwell

Shimano reels are great. So are the old Penn reels make in the USA and the Mitchell 300 reels old ones. Daiwa I have several good reels. Had a couple Pfleugers until I wore them out good reels also. But I think the best small reels I have ever owned were the D-A-M Quick reels made in Germany. I bought two when I got out of the Army in '69 one of them still works fine.

If I ever pay 200 bucks for a rod and reel I hope someone kicks my bottom real good, probably my Wife. But to each his own.
I second that regarding the Quick reel. I've got a 110, the UL one, that I got in 1969. Still works great.