Spinning reels

I have a bunch of spinning reels including Shimanos and Pfeugers and bought a Diawa Tatula last year that I like better than all the others.

BigGreenGoblin

I’ve used Shimano Sahara and Sedona for about 12 years for bass up until last year. Expect 2-3 years before the anti-reverse or bail spring gives out with heavy use. I like to fish more than work on reels so they get junked when that happens. I picked up a Lews’s Mach 2 4000 last year that seized up (think I got a lemon) but I replaced it with the same reel and haven’t had any issues. I have Pfleuger Trion and President ultralight reels for crappie that have performed very well for their price point. I have Penn Fierce and Battle reels for saltwater and they are bulletproof and If my current Lew’s fails I’ll probably stop playing around and just go to a Penn Battle 4000 HS for bass fishing. I hear good things about the Diawa BG series. From my experience most reels in the sub $100 dollar category tend to be disposable with heavy use and my only experience with a $150 reel is with the Penn Battle HS which has been outstanding.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Question.
I mainly saltwater fish and higher spool capacity is requirement. I wouldn't think the capacity of a saltwater reel would be needed for bass fishing.

Lilly001

I have used the Diawa BG series for many years.
It’s rugged enough for salt water yet light enough for fresh water.
It has a decent drag and it’s not cheap, but it is affordable for what you get.
I’ve never worn one out.

greg_n_clayton

I’ve got a Mitchell 300 that I bought with a rod as a combo from Wal Mart over 25 years ago for less than $50. Not fancy but still works as good as the day I bought it.
I have got 1/2 dozen Mitchell 300s ! Only bad thing about them is the constant clicking when reeling ! I bought them over years ...when the hybrids in Hartwell were stripping the rest ....which was back in the good Ole days when hybrids were abundant in Hartwell during their attempt to spawn !

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I made the mistake of buying a JDM Shimano reel. The smoothest reel and drag I have ever used. Exchange rate very good right now

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’ll have to check on the spelling cause they speak funny over there.

Digitaka