The feral hog problem

I realize we have forums about hunting feral pigs but I am interested in this problem. Where I live I see large areas rooted by pigs and see their tracks all the time. Georgia and the USDA are stepping up efforts in hog eradication.
A shout out to anyone hunting them, they are a pest. A local church had over 30 pigs root up every bulb in their flower beds a couple of years back. My two dogs heard a rustling in the bushes one day last year while we were walking and next thing I know here come the two dogs with 3 boars chasing them. I climbed a tree real fast and the dogs ran all the way back home. All I had was a sheath knife on me so i was not going to challenge the pigs.

A list of sources about feral hogs and there is a trapping program the state and the USDA run. You can have a large monitored trap set up to catch sounders (a family group of pigs).
https://www.gacd.us/feralswine

https://www.georgiaferalswine.com/

flatfoot

Big groups are definitely a problem. We witnessed this first hand this past deer season and they have been thinned out.

After the purge, a thought has been stuck in the back of my mind. If the balloon goes up and society goes to pot, we may be missing those pigs. They can reproduce faster than deer when you start thinking about a natural supply of meat.

I pray that never happens.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Kill them all! I used to think they were fun to hunt but if I could blink my eyes and they’d leave GA; I do it! They’re nature’s Democrats. Just eatin up all the food, destroying the ground, and making babies at an unbelievable pace..

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Kill them all! I used to think they were fun to hunt but if I could blink my eyes and they’d leave GA; I do it! They’re nature’s Democrats. Just eatin up all the food, destroying the ground, and making babies at an unbelievable pace..
Agreed. Everyone of them pigs I shoot it’s just one more step to eliminating them. I pass shots on boars to shoot a sow.

Last edited:

madsam

We use to compete to see who could make the longest head shots. Now we
gut shoot them so they runoff and die and we don't have to deal with them.
It got so bad they where in the fields with the cows during daylight. That was
fun !!! One time a sow had a some piglets out in the field way away from the
woodline. Head shot her and the piglets spread out every which way. I ended
up running over them with the cart. Actually caught one of the piglets to show
the family. Cool day for me, bad day to be a wild boar........