Ticket for tinted windows

PappyHoel

Just like the new cell phone law, this window tint law is only used to walk up to your car and “scratch & sniff”. He just wanted to see what else he could get you on.

georgia357

You can thank the new cell phone law. Popo can't tell if you're using your phone if he can't see in your windows. Expect more tickets for dark glass.

Same thing happened when they passed the law where the cops could pull you over for a seat belt violation, there was a big push on dark tint stops. It would cut into their potential revenue stream.

specialk

I roll down all 4 windows in my truck when pulled over....

Hillbilly stalker

I would guess one could just obey the law and not have anything to worry about then huh ?

GoldDot40

I can tell you the AC in my truck feels 5X better vs almost any other vehicle I've been in that didn't have tinted windows. Air comes out of my vents at a crispy 39°F. Air comes out of the vents in my dad's truck at 39°F...yet the inside of my truck feels way colder, plus I only have to run my fan motor on 1/2 speed. Rarely ever need to run it on high.

TimBray

The tint law actually changed in Georgia back around 1990. I had tinted my then-new '88 4Runner windows with limo tint and had to have the front ones redone (on my own accord- I wasn't stopped).
I was actually talking to a LEO the other day and the subject of tinted windows came up. He said roll your windows down when you stop (front 2 in truck/van/SUV- all 4 in car). If you are being stopped for tint, when the officer asks you to roll the window back up simply tell him/her they are broken and won't come back up. He can't reach in and try it for himself, according to the officer I was talking to. :unsure:
I am legal on my vehicles anyway but even if I wasn't I don't think I would try this approach. Too old for a blackstick beatdown. o_O;)

Cannot vouch for this info but if I can remember I will ask my SIL about it. If it's not true he'll get a good laugh out of it.

And stranger still is it only applies to truck/van/SUV front doors. Cars are all windows, IIRC. How crazy is that?

SC Hunter

Mine are dark and I can definitely tell a difference in my truck and my fiances untinted SUV. Every vehicle I've owned has had tinted windows. The tickets aren't to bad.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Ticket is $86, I am meeting with solicitor this Thursday to try and get reduced or thrown out. This GSP looked to barely be 21 years old, saving the world one tinted window at a time. My pistol was sitting on the transmission hump in my Silverado and as far as I know he never even seen it or noticed it. Guess his vision was impaired because of the window tint after I rolled down the window.
If you know your tint is illegal and it’s not reduced or thrown out when you meet, I’d go ahead and pay the $86 and be done with it. You could win in court and you could lose.

It's an epidemic with GSP right now. They can't keep good help and the help they get is so went behind the ears, they still got a pacifier in their back pocket.

Went to court against GSP not too long ago. Pulled me over for going to slow. He missed the fact that we were in a construction zone and the posted speed limit was 45. Took dated pictures and video and the ticket was thrown out. DA said she was sick to death of these new hot headed GSP officers that didn't know what they were doing. Her words, not mine.

rospaw

Was stopped for tinted windows that were not tinted. Young cop said he would have to write me a ticket for 13% tint!!! With a straight face and a quick reply "Your meter is broken! " I think i offended him. :hair: He went on to tell me it's less than a week old and in working order. Me: Sorry, but it's broke! :cool: Supervisor came by and and saw that the windows were not near as dark as his 15% windows. I was let go but not after we figured it out. Car came from the factory with double pane windows (double thick) and had a membrane in between them that helped cool the car. Car had a SLIGHT tint due to the thickness and membrane.

sinclair1

Factory tinted by Hino motors, but they are dark so I will probably get harassed in the future.

gtmcwhorter

Every vehicle I have ever owned has had windows tinted including windshield. Gotten tickets in every sports car and lifted truck I’ve had it done on. Basically anything with mods, even aftermarket wheels and tires and they start to look.
Never gotten a ticket in any of the stock vehicles or my 15 passenger van.

Dub

Bought a new truck last year.

Black exterior & interior.

The sun bakes the vehicle....especially when in the work parking lot.

Not tinting all the windows wasn't even an option, in my opinion.

I went to local shop to have it done....guy has been in business for 30+ years and knows his stuff. Had my last truck done there in 2007 and drove it 11 years. He tinted the windows (including the windshield) the first week I had the truck. Tint looked as good on the day I sold the vehicle as it did on installation.

Anyway....he told me that the tint level I was using in 2007 & 2018 wasn't legal and warned me that I may be ticketed. It's a risk worth taking for me. The tint kills the glare off the hood and makes night driving more pleasant, too. Oncoming headlights don't leave my vision seeing spots. It's unreal how many people have their headlights out of adjustment and directing light too high.

If I get pulled over....I get pulled over. Big deal. I have nothing to hide.

It hasn't happened yet.

I fully understand that dark tinted windows can be a concern in a traffic stop. LEO has to approach a vehicle they can't see into. If I get pulled for any reason....I'll have all my windows rolled down well before LEO ever steps out of his vehicle.

Nothing to hide here and I understand they have a job to do. Nor will I get bent out of shape if I am pulled over for it.

It's no different than being in a group of cars that is speeding yet you are the only one pulled over. You were speeding....nothing much to argue about.

I personally feel I'm a safer driver with tinted windows due to glare reduction at night & day. Mine aren't so dark that they obscure anything for night driving.