What is your morning hunt routine?

jmac7469

This time of year if hunting my Florida property wake up 330. Shower put on truck clothes. Drive to property 45 minutes to farthest point. Change clothes walk to stand with green headlamp (literally can walk right up on deer and not spook them) in stand 45 minutes before light. Seems excessive but promise it works amazingly. If in Alabama roll out of bed around 5 shower and to the stand. Whole process there is way faster. If in georgia wait until the sun goes down then hit the fields with the spot light and start blasting. The farmers are very thankful for all the work we put in.

Jdmb123

I get up and head to the gas station that lady who calls you baby makes biscuits. Check for Fla and Nc tags and mean mug anyone with matching camo. Then I start making the big dirt road circle in an attempt to thwart the NC hunters attempts at hunting the line. Usually catch a Fla hunter in the process and offer the usual “where you from” comment and scowl. By the time the rounds are made keeping the out of state leasers in check I hurry to a stand at shooting light and begin to count the multiple volleys from Nc and Fla hunters. They usually shoot more than once for one of two reasons- not good shots overall and it’s a long drive so they shoot as many as they can. They usually are concerned they’ll lose their lease so got to deplete the resource as much as possible. By 11 I’m climbing down to get lunch from the lady that calls you baby then it’s head to the processor for more mean mugging and judgement toward the basket 8s. It’s a lot of work but I’m just really passionate about deer hunting.

44magpastor

as far as calls go...many is the time that i ve called blind and a few minutes later a deer shows up...never really sure if it was because of the call or just happenstance...however, i have called to bucks in view and almost always had an immediate response.
last week i called 2 bucks right into my lap with the doe bleat...and when i say right into my lap i mean literally...i was sitting on the ground and both bucks crossed a creek and walked up to less than 6 feet with the only thing separating us being the 8-10" diameter tree that i was sitting behind, so i am a believer now.

That's awesome.

cliffdweller

Lots of coffee, paperwork, 1 hour hike, sit down, enjoy the day...and hopefully some knifework by 1 o'clock

basshappy

BANNED
I wake up at 4:30 AM and go outside to go over gear, eat, ****, etc. Wake son up at 4:45 AM and he does the same. We change into our hunting clothes outside and set out on foot around 5:15 AM. Private land hunting. Sporting headlamps in case we need light but almost always walked in the dark. We cut trails to our blinds and stands and we use leaf blowers so our footsteps are very quiet and even my 10 year old son has learned to roll his feet. By 6 AM we are posted up. Prior to time change that gave us an hour to enjoy the woods waking up. Sounds - what was that? Smells - skunk spray, animal ****, etc. We have learned to sit still and wait. Squirrels entertain us. Birds, fox, yotes, just watching and listening.

bassculler

Wake up, get shower, brush teeth, get dressed, grab bottle of water, gun, snake boots, drive 50 minutes to property. While driving assess wind and appropriate stand, get out, grab rifle, grunt call, water, pistol, headlamp and walk to stand at first crack of light. No coffee or food for me. I dont like taking a dump in the woods. In fact, i hate it.....so i avoid the things that make it happen.

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
Fun thread. I stay on the property I hunt. Here is my routine:

Up early, maybe 5:30. Drink coffee and talk with my dad, who is 84, in his living room. Decide which stand to hunt, look at trail camera pics, and reminiscence with dad.

TCB.

I refuse to eat, before I hunt, or I'll be TCB again, about 8:00 am.

Try to be on stand as it is getting light.

I take very little to the stand.
1. Rifle
2. Flashlight
3. Knife
4. Thermo cell if hot
5. Jacket if cold.

Everything else is in my truck if I need it, or at the house. I dont use grunt calls, scents, rattle bags, etc. No rocks to throw at those who do, just never seen them work, in 38 years of deer hunting
What does tcb mean I’ve missed it

01Foreman400

Staff member
I have everything ready the night before and that’s down to my keys in my pants pocket. Get up that morning and take a shower and brush my teeth. Drink some water on the drive to the property. Be in the stand and settled 20 minutes or so before daylight. I always use a flashlight.

Latest posts