whats more powerful 44mag. or 45lc.

redlevel

It is really pretty simple. If you want to be able to buy hunting ammo off the shelf in just about any gun store, go with the .44 mag. If you are willing to order semi-custom loads, say from Buffalo Bore, or you are a reloader, then the .45 is the way to go. Anyone wanting to learn why the old .45 is capable of so much needs to read what John Linebaugh has to say.
http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

In his words, the .45 "is a bigger hammer" than the .44 mag. It is the difference between a .430 projectile and a .452 projectile. Read the linked article for an education.

I have been loading a 7.5 inch Old Model Blackhawk with 10 grains of Unique behind a 255 grain Keith SWC for 37 years. I know for a fact that load will hole a 160 lb whitetail through-and-through and said whitetail will drop where he stands. This at anywhere from 25-50 yards. That load supposedly is about 1000fps from the long barrel, and is very pleasant to shoot. Much less storm and fury than a .44 mag. Not nearly as loud or punishing as a .357 mag, but more like a fairly hot .38 special in a K-frame. Linebaugh says his .45 Colt loaded to 900 fps with a 260 grain bullet will shoot through a mule deer lengthwise at 100 yards. He says in the article if he were going for heavier/dangerous game, he would go to a 310 grain bullet at 1200fps.

I also shoot the 10 grain Unique load (I still have a bunch of them loaded. I have recently dropped to about 9 grains) in Vaqueros, a S&W Mountain Gun, and a 94AE Trapper. It is very pleasant to shoot in all my guns.