Which stock is best?

Elmo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking of putting a full metal block stock on my Remington 700 (.300WSM). Which stock is best? Bell and Carlson or a Houge. Does anybody have any knowledge on these two stock companies,and the pros and cons?

Hammack

I have used the hogue stocks on a few of the recent rifles I have built and I have been very pleased with there performance. Now Hogue has the camo stocks available as well. The hogues are quiet, and generally warm to the touch on those cold mornings, Not to mention you won't wake up everything in the woods if you bump it on the stand getting settled. They also have pretty good recoil pads. For the money I think the hogue is a great choice for a hunting rifle.

Allen Waters

what hammack said!! i literally just got (ups) my new hogue overmolded stock for my remmy 700 in 270 today!!! can't wait to get it set up. have heard nothing but great reviews. the overmolded rubber feels great, the fore end contour is great. awesome recoil pad, and with the full bedding block don't think you can go wrong. for color options check www.getgrip.com, i found my black one however cheaper from cabela's online.

Hammack

McMillan. Is The Best. Their wait time Is 25 Weeks. But their worth It.

I agree, but it is also 4 times the price. I have one mcmillan, and I have never had a problem with it, but then again I've never had a problem with a hogue either for a fourth of the price.

Elmo

Sounds like Hogue wins out. Thanks for all your input!:shoot:
Elmo

Pineywoods

Don't forget about the H-S Precision. Full block, available right now at a bunch of places. Much stiffer in the forend than either the Hogue or the B-C, which usually equals more accuracy from a variety of positions.
I have one on a M70 that I really like. Shot a .253" group this weekend with it...

Buzz

Personally - if my choice was between Hogue and Bell and Carlson, I'd stick with the factory wood stock (if your's is wood). I have two McMillan and two HS Precision stocks. After dealing with flimsy synthetics, I'll keep a wood stock over a lesser synthetic.

Just my opinion.

Hammack

Personally - if my choice was between Hogue and Bell and Carlson, I'd stick with the factory wood stock (if your's is wood). I have two McMillan and two HS Precision stocks. After dealing with flimsy synthetics, I'll keep a wood stock over a lesser synthetic.

Just my opinion.

All of the Hogue's that I have used were the varmint style, and I would not call them flimsy by any means. Now I can't speak for the sporter style hogues, but there isn't much give if any in the forend of the ones I have used, but as I said they are the varmint style. I have one on a Model 70 I built last year in 264 Win Mag and it will shoot a jagged hole all day long. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that a hogue is as fine a stock as a HS or Mcmillan, but I don't think they are a bad choice either. If money was a concern then I would not feel under equipped with hogues I have used.

Allen Waters

i posted earlier i just got a hogue witha full aluminum bedding block. it NOT flimsey. bolts right in. very nice!!! i have had it on the gun 3 days and shot a doe at 100+ yards last night. really need to get on the range and see how much it affected how it patterns. i only shot it once at 50 yards after swapping and hit same as wood stock. will post later the difference it makes. happy so far:)

stevetarget

i second or third the Hogue stock. I have used both the full bedded and the pillar bedded model on several rifles and they do the job. I like something that does not make a bunch of racket when you happen to bump an aluminum stand. These stocks are plenty stiff enough for hunting rifles.

Elmo

stevetarget
Can you tell much of a difference between the full bedded and the pillar bedded model ?
Elmo

Jack Flynn

I've got one of the full length aluminum bedded stocks on my gun and love it. Thinking of buying another gun just like it. Whole nother gun that is, different caliber. I think what we think as flimsy might be the "soft" touch you get from a rubber overmolded stock as compared to a plastic or kevlar or anykind of "hard" synthetic stock.