Winchester Black Talon DP

krizia829

What do you think these would go for nowadays if they were still in stores with all this craziness with ammo?

Winchester Black Talon DP
.40 S&W 180Gr SXT
20rds

Nimrod71

Black Talon was good marketing, a little to good. It was so good it got it taken off the market. There are plenty of ammo on the market today that is just as bad or worst than the Black Talons.

Bobby Bigtime

When the black talon came out many moons ago I found it to be an excellent deer round in .357 mag. Almost overnight it somehow got labeled as a "cop killer" that was a real bummer. I was able to snag the last three boxes from the local hardware store. I have a few left, they are what is at the ready in the house and for hikes. The eldorado Starfire is a similar bullet.

doomtrpr_z71

Ranger sxt is the same but without the black coating, the ranger t is an improved version to improve it's barrier performance by converting it to a bonded bullet. Bass pro used to sell sxz defense ammo from winchester that had the black coating but I haven't seen it since the ranger t came out. Quite the marketing, since it has such a dedicated following and insane pricing, it wouldn't surprise me to see someone pay 150 just because they fear never getting a box. I paid less than$20 for 50 rd boxes of ranger t and federal hst so anyone paying a premium for black talons has more money than sense.

ky55

Ranger sxt is the same but without the black coating, the ranger t is an improved version to improve it's barrier performance by converting it to a bonded bullet. Bass pro used to sell sxz defense ammo from winchester that had the black coating but I haven't seen it since the ranger t came out. Quite the marketing, since it has such a dedicated following and insane pricing, it wouldn't surprise me to see someone pay 150 just because they fear never getting a box. I paid less than$20 for 50 rd boxes of ranger t and federal hst so anyone paying a premium for black talons has more money than sense.

The partial box I have has black-coated bullets, brass cases, and silver primers sealed with a red sealant.
It’s in a white box with black, red, and orange print and graphics.
The code on the end flap is RA45SXT.

Hillbilly stalker

We were issued Black talons and carried them for 2-3 years. I believe the Teflon coated bullets were nick named cop killers weren’t they ? The Teflon supposedly negated Kevlar vests ? I have a couple boxes of 9mm.
When the black talon came out many moons ago I found it to be an excellent deer round in .357 mag. Almost overnight it somehow got labeled as a "cop killer" that was a real bummer. I was able to snag the last three boxes from the local hardware store. I have a few left, they are what is at the ready in the house and for hikes. The eldorado Starfire is a similar bullet.

krizia829

Black Talon was good marketing, a little to good. It was so good it got it taken off the market. There are plenty of ammo on the market today that is just as bad or worst than the Black Talons.
I know, I just happen to have about 10 boxes full that was given to me and was wondering what I can get for 2 or 3 of them. I'd hate to have them just sitting there

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have the originals in .45ACP and some of the Rangers left and they are black. I didn't think there was any difference in the 2 for some reason SXT is what I thought.

If someone offered me $150 for a box I might be awful tempted to let them hold one :D Kinda wish I still had some 9mm too.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I'd hate to have them just sitting there

there is always this point of view if it helps...If it is there and I need it.. I will always have it. When you don't have it and need it is when the trouble begins....

Give it a minute...it will pass

transfixer

Wasn't the turmoil caused by some ER doctors who complained of getting cut when operating on a gun shot wound ? They were getting cut on the petals of the hollow point that broke off or something like that ,,, its a wonder they haven't raised cain about the ultra fast lightweight copper rounds like RIP or Civil Defense .

krizia829

I have the originals in .45ACP and some of the Rangers left and they are black. I didn't think there was any difference in the 2 for some reason SXT is what I thought.

If someone offered me $150 for a box I might be awful tempted to let them hold one :D Kinda wish I still had some 9mm too.
haha same here! I carry 9mm, my 40 is my side arm in the woods but I would like to find some in 9!

krizia829

Wasn't the turmoil caused by some ER doctors who complained of getting cut when operating on a gun shot wound ? They were getting cut on the petals of the hollow point that broke off or something like that ,,, its a wonder they haven't raised cain about the ultra fast lightweight copper rounds like RIP or Civil Defense .
No idea to be honest.. I always heard that people referred to them as "cop killers" . Crappy way to put it.. but I wouldn't doubt it if it's true with the doctors!

Hillbilly stalker

That’s the story that went around thru the LEO community. I don’t know if it was ever validated.

bullgator

I just checked.

2- .45acp
1- .357 mag
1- 9mm
1.5- .40 S&W
4- .44 mag

DAVE

I believe the marketing ads is what done them in. They had ads showing a round fully expanded and pointing out how much damage the petals would do. The pro criminal groups complained it was inhumane and resulted in the bad guys dying unnecessary. Political correctness led Winchester to drop the name in order to avoid bad publicity. The funny thing is these groups didn't question the shooting but wanted a more kind bullet.