Y’all ever notice

Mark K

Banned
That some days the deer act like you are the worst thing that’s ever happened in their world and other days they seem not to even notice you?
I’m in the woods 365 days a year. Some days all I’ll see are tails waving in the wind. Other days I can get out and open a gate and the deer watch me drive up and get out to open the gate, get back in the truck to pull through and they go back to feeding. Get out and shut the gate and they won’t even give me a second glance.

Some days I can ride within 15-20 yards talking to them and them just watching me the entire time as I go past. And other days my truck is cursed and they bug out before I can even see what they are.

Some days they’ll walk out and watch me make a set or reset a trap.

I’ve noticed predator urine, mainly fox, is a HUGE attractor during any time but fawning season. During this time of year, they steer clear of any predator scent.

Some days they spook when I head out to fill the feeders and check cameras. Other days they act like they’ve been waiting on me and hurry it up, lol.

Anyone else notice how crazy they act sometimes?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Ol man told me that at certain times of the year on certain days it like it’s nite time to them. You can walk up to them close and it’s like they don’t care.
I’ve seen this. It’s like some moon phases during the day.
Anyway who knows.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I've said it a thousand times that there's no rhyme or reason as to how or even when a deer will react to you. Doesnt matter if they smell you or just see you, sometimes they react and come unglued, other times they couldnt care less.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I think I hear a hunting plan coming together. LOL

Mark K

Banned
I do know if someone wants a quick deer for a get together or cookout, just hitch a ride on the tractor. Can shoot as many as you want. Yes I realize that’s not hunting it’s just killing. Sometime folks just want the meat.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
They don't pay too much attention to the sxs I ride around on either unless I am in a hurry.

Mark K

Banned
I truly believe it’s what kind of land you hunt and how much activity it gets during the off season. The land I hunt is an active piece of property and the deer are used to tractors, trucks, and ATV’s. In fact I was checking a camera on a couple of my traps this morning and had 2 decent bucks walk out and watch me. They noticed the truck at first, but when they saw me is when the heads went up. They are just used to my truck and the ranger.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
How come you can drive fifty miles an hour past a herd of deer feeding roadside and they keep feeding without lifting their head but boy if you slow down and look or stop or backup they go nuts in all directions?

I’ve learned to drive past out of sight before I turn around for a second look.

One time my brother and I were towing a camper. We flew by a field of fifty deer.
We turned around out of sight and then came back and stopped. It was daylight the day before muzzleloader season and the entire herd hightailed it out of the field. There was eights and tens running in all directions. The entire week after we didn’t spot a single deer. We assumed they weren’t impressed with our camper.:bounce:

SRShunter

How come you can drive fifty miles an hour past a herd of deer feeding roadside and they keep feeding without lifting their head but boy if you slow down and look or stop or backup they go nuts in all directions?

I’ve learned to drive past out of sight before I turn around for a second look.

One time my brother and I were towing a camper. We flew by a field of fifty deer.
We turned around out of sight and then came back and stopped. It was daylight the day before muzzleloader season and the entire herd hightailed it out of the field. There was eights and tens running in all directions. The entire week after we didn’t spot a single deer. We assumed they weren’t impressed with our camper.:bounce:
Roadhunters!

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Roadhunters!

It’s not illegal to turn around and ?.
Plus we weren’t ready for 50 deer no way.
There was several studs in that herd and I would’ve knocked my brother in the head and turned us around myself if I had to. It wasn’t hard to convince him this time.:brick: