Coydog?

bullgator

Your description kinda sounds like this....4EAF4170-6A78-4458-B7FE-1E7679BE8CEB.jpeg

Wifeshusband

It could be an American Dingo a/k/a Carolina dog, a distinct breed now recognized by AKC. Originally found along the Savannah River basin in GA and SC. Beautiful dog. I have had the pleasure to meet a man who has one. When I saw it following him at a distance, I told him it looked a little like a coyote. He said he gets that comment all the time.
American-Dingo-2.jpg

Gary Mercer

My Grand Daughter and her husband have an old female. Sweet dog. She looks a lot like the picture above. They will probably replace her with another when it's time.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I have had several black coyotes on trail cams that look just like that in Lincoln County.

GeorgiaGlockMan, you and I need to talk about those Lincoln County black coyotes as I have seen about 6-7 different times that I have had black coyotes on my trail cameras which are located more in the southern end of Lincoln County. I do believe that every one of them all had a "white" throat patch too.

I hope that ya'll might check out this thread BELOW about a HUGE BLACK COYOTE that actually went into my hog trap back in 2012. I was advised that it was possibly the largest coyote known around the state according to some of the DNR and LEO personnel that was there when it was officially weighed and examined by several people. I do believe that I still have all of the photos from this event as I think that this information was able to be successfully transferred without two many problems onto my new computer recently. It was a monster of a coyote for sure.

http://forum.gon.com/threads/black-coyote.948814/#post-11838108

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
GeorgiaGlockMan, you and I need to talk about those Lincoln County black coyotes as I have seen about 6-7 different times that I have had black coyotes on my trail cameras which are located more in the southern end of Lincoln County. I do believe that every one of them all had a "white" throat patch too.

I hope that ya'll might check out this thread BELOW about a HUGE BLACK COYOTE that actually went into my hog trap back in 2012. I was advised that it was possibly the largest coyote known around the state according to some of the DNR and LEO personnel that was there when it was officially weighed and examined by several people. I do believe that I still have all of the photos from this event as I think that this information was able to be successfully transferred without two many problems onto my new computer recently. It was a monster of a coyote for sure.

Remember what I told you, Mike.

GeorgiaGlockMan

E E 444,

My place is swarming with coyotes. I sleep out there in a tent allot and most nights they get really annoying about 3or4am.

I had a black coyote give me the slip in the deer stand for the last 2 seasons. Just glimpses but I've seen them before on trail cameras. I'll round up a pic or 2 when I power up my puter.

I saw one run across the road outside athens that was the black with white patch and socks about a month ago.

They maybe more common than I want to admit or could convince anyone else of.

CurLee

Eagle Eye, the pictures of that coyote in the bed of a truck, what kind of truck was it?

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I have posted link after link on this forum over the years about DNA studies of southeastern coyotes and eastern coyotes. There are no "pure" coyotes in the east. All of them have wolf DNA to some extent or other, and there is some domestic dog DNA in some of the populations to a lesser extent. We also know that red wolves were the result of interbreeding between wolves and coyotes at the end of the Pleistocene and they filled an important niche in the Southeast as an apex predator. Nature abhors a vacuum, and this creature is filling that vacuum. The very first reported, and confirmed "coyotes" in GA happened in the mid/late 70s in Dooley Co. At the time I was a teenaged trapper and our club, the Southwest GA Fur Takers was contacted by the DNR to see if we had trapped any or seen any sign that might be them. The area in Dooley Co. where the first confirmed sightings took place was near the Flint River, which can have some rather large bottoms past the fall line. Me and my partner were trapping the Flint in Worth Co., a couple of counties south of where they were first confirmed. There were all kinds of theories, coy-dogs resulting from some escaped coyotes from fox pens and then breeding with local dogs was the most popular one (and after the advent low cost and easy DNA studies, proven false). We caught a couple shortly after they were sighted in Dooley Co., about a year or so. Having been familiar with western coyotes, the one we trapped was not the same animal. It had a "squarer" head, it its eyes were yellow...it truly looked more wolf like than it did coyote like, plus it was a heck of a lot larger than the western coyotes I was familiar with. Over the years, looking back, one thing kept catching my attention, when these canines showed up, the deer population in our neck of the woods had just started taking off. A lot of younger people might not know this about SOWEGA, but in the early or mid-70s it was not unusual to hunt for deer all season long and not see one, let alone harvest one, they were rare...down right scarce. In the mid/late 70s after all the transplanting had taken place, we began to see deer and actually have a decent chance at harvesting one (one reason dog hunting was popular in this neck of the woods, stump hunting was often a waste of the day), and it was this time that the "coyotes" showed up. Set the dinner table and those that are hungry will show....and that is exactly what happened. The population literally "radiated" out of the swamps and bottoms of the lower Flint River and spread to where ever there were deer in GA. SOWEGA is where all the early pelts were harvested, and it is where the earliest sightings took place. It was also the last placed settled in GA, due to it being the last place in GA with hostile natives (the second Creek War, after the removal act, and then the second Seminole War which saw raids into SOWEGA). What we have is nature, filling the vacuum left by the early settlers in GA wiping out the last Apex Predator. There were more than likely a handful of Red Wolves hanging on by a thread in the lower Flint drainage, a migration of coyotes east, also filling in a vacuum, having to cross the Mississippi on its northern stretches during winter when it is frozen and those canines moving through the last population, at that time, of the Grey Wolf in the US which was also stressed...and we know that wolves will only naturally breed with other canines when their population is stressed, and mates might not be available. Those hybrids rapidly filled in the vacuum of a growing deer population and no apex predator.