What did you do today that’s related to deer hunting? #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy.444

Put a mineral site in at my ground blind spot on the lease. I didn’t feel like fishing today after going the last three.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Ran two deer out my yard yesterday morning. Don’t want them to make it too easy for me next season.

TJay

What were your findings?
A friend of mine recently bought a Swaro Z5 2.4-12 x 50 and I was comparing it to my Z3 2.5-10 x 42 to see if an upgrade would make sense. I liked the bigger field of view with the 50mm objective but at twilight the Z5 was only better by a very small margin, not enough to make me want to sell my Z3 and cough up the extra cash for the Z5.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Working on HVAC at the lake house/deer camp.

lonewolf247

A friend of mine recently bought a Swaro Z5 2.4-12 x 50 and I was comparing it to my Z3 2.5-10 x 42 to see if an upgrade would make sense. I liked the bigger field of view with the 50mm objective but at twilight the Z5 was only better by a very small margin, not enough to make me want to sell my Z3 and cough up the extra cash for the Z5.

Ha, I was just curious. I have a Swarovski Habicht 3-10x42, and another in 4-12x50, and a Z3 in 4-12x50. The two 50mm objectives slightly edge above right at twilight as you mentioned, but it's not tremendous.

Don't quote me on this, because it's been a while since I researched the Z3 vs the Z5, but if I remember right, they are only small differences between the two. The Z3 has 3x the zoom(3-9x36, 4-12x50), and the Z5 has 5x the zoom(2.4-12x50, 5-25x56). Other than that, the Z5 seems to be offered in higher magnification ranges, and maybe some different turret options, and side focus, because of higher magnification. The Z3 scopes have fixed parallax. Both are lightweight, and built on 1" tubes. However, from an optical quality standpoint, I thought the lenses and such were pretty equal.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I drove up to my property in the country this afternoon and slowly walked over it and also checked out all four ponds while I was there. It was so wet that I couldn't drive past the gate so I parked and walked the 3/4 mile or so back to the back of the property where the #4 pond is located. I was amazed at seeing so many bass swimming just underneath the surface. A couple of them were 2-3 pounders and the majority of them were about a pound or so. This is the same pond that back around last May, I fished in it for the first time in the past 15 or more years and I caught a 6 1/2 lb. bass on a gold lightweight crappie hook with a cricket and also an 8 1/2 lb bass on an artificial Crayfish lure that was bright day-glow green on its back and bright orange on its underneath side. I fished a few times and I also caught some really large bream that would weigh about 3/4 -1 pound each as they were huge and they LOVED crickets. I also saw plenty of fresh deer tracks and also lots of scratching by the turkeys as well today as well but did NOT find any sheds.

It was really odd BUT at the #3 pond, something had killed a full grown 4-5 foot tall Blue Herron apparently about 2-3 weeks ago and the skeleton, really long backbone and head/beak area and the wings and breastbone area had been totally torn apart from the backbone part of this skeleton. This entire skeleton was located about 12-15 feet from the edge of the water...and every type of meat etc (wings, breast, thigh area and head had been stripped completely from the skeleton. However I could ONLY find one long leg with feet still attached but it was ripped away from the carcass and looked somewhat normal as the leg and feet were still black in color. All of this was lying in the pasture about 10-15 feet away from the edge of the water. It just looked really odd and it made me wonder what in the heck might have killed and eaten this huge bird.

While I was up in the country today, I also stopped by a local business that sells ammunition, guns, etc and I spent $180 on ammunition including various types of 9 MM for my lady friend and also some 40 cal for me. (I had also bought about $170 worth of 9 MM and also some 40 cal during last week as well.

What seemed really odd was the fact as I was just finishing up, two guys from Idaho drove up in a big heavy-duty fancy truck and had just come in the door looking for ammunition. This was all in Lincolnton this afternoon. :hair:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Left the house yesterday morning at 4 with the machine behind the truck, drove 7 hours to a new MO farm up on the Iowa line.

Rode around on the farmers ranger 4 seater... that I didn't know about...for 4.5 hours.

Drive 7 hours back home last night getting home at 1130 last night.

Long day, but productive. These are some of the 1st hit me kinda areas we need to spend some time looking at.

Screenshot_20210228-090423.jpg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Been shooting the bow(s) and just ordered a full capture fall away rest. I got a fletchings tool and it curves the fletchings for a true helical right twist, but I didn’t like the way they went through the whisker biscuit . I put the junk fall away that came with my original bow back on and I liked it.......a lot! That’s why I ordered a NAP Apache for the PSE.

buckmanmike

Bought 2 cans of tire sealant for golf cart. Put one in LF tire. Drove about a mile. Had to put other can in to get back to camp. Leakage was on inside sidewall. Not a good spot. Got to budget new tires now.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Not squat all week long but next week is different. I need to get my splitter running so we can split firewood for next fall. We cut down two nice hickorys last March and then the 'Ronas hit and stopped everything in it's tracks so the wood is cured right on up.

TJay

Not squat all week long but next week is different. I need to get my splitter running so we can split firewood for next fall. We cut down two nice hickorys last March and then the 'Ronas hit and stopped everything in it's tracks so the wood is cured right on up.
That hickory is going to be fun to split after sitting all year! Good thing you got a splitter!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
That hickory is going to be fun to split after sitting all year! Good thing you got a splitter!

The voice of experience. ^ :bounce:

There is no way I'd go at it with a Go Devil and some wedges. Once good hickory cures up you can beat it to death with an 8 lb Go Devil and never get it to split.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Cleaning up and throwing away after the weekends work at the camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.