What's your "Bump in the Night" weapon?

bullgator

Any of you pump shotgun fans ever been through a defensive class,or really stressful situation with your pump gun? Just curious how many times you “short stroked” it,or failure to close it,etc??
I couldn’t agree more.
It’s funny how everyone picks semi auto rifles and pistols but thinks semi auto shotguns aren’t reliable enough.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Any of you pump shotgun fans ever been through a defensive class,or really stressful situation with your pump gun? Just curious how many times you “short stroked” it,or failure to close it,etc??

A lotta years ago, I took a few day shotgun class at the training center in Forsyth. We shot a bunch of shells, close, far, shoulder, hip, reloading drills, heck we even shot clays. Learned the "butt stroke" too. "Shuck that thing like you mean it!" was part of the curriculum.

I don't remember any issues, even among those that were using a shotgun for the first time...

I also remember that no pistol grips were allowed, gun had to have a "real stock" on it.

SC Hunter

We have pistols all throughout the down stairs of our house. One of the kids up stairs keeps his old bats is his closet and if he hits somebody like he does a baseball their in trouble.

Seriously though there are a few guns in the bedroom, one in the kitchen, one in the living room, one in the office and a gun safe in the living room. Not a single one out and about requires any thought as far as use. Simply just point and shoot. I don't trust my wife to run a shotgun in a stressful situation. If you get past the 100 pound Great Pyrenees and two labs in the yard you have really accomplished something.

rugerfan

All I got to say is : Stevie Wonder could find the blood trail!

sleepr71

The reason I brought up the pump shotgun question, was because last summer my dad went to shoot a boar hog in a trap out here… And after the first shot that Hog cleared a 52 inch combo panel and charged my dad. It all happened in about a 2 second time frame. And although my dad has shot guns his whole life and is pretty calm under pressure… He short stroked that shotgun and couldn’t get a second shot off in time. Luckily the hog turned and ran for the woods and he was able to partially jump in his truck. He has a bum knee & hip..so his athletic skills are a bit lacking ?. He was close to getting got by that hog. Now...if that had been a bad guy...with a gun...hyped up on Meth or something..my Dad may not still be here! It just really made me rethink the pump shotgun,as my go to weapon...

chase870

Possum Sox

I agree with you, many people who have a pump gun don't shoot it enough and will be susceptible to the failures you mention, I shoot a 870 in every gauge they make them in and shoot a bunch. Every once in a great while ill short stroke one, short of operator error a perfect weapon for home defense

SC Hunter

In my eye's nothing says "Get Out" better than the sound of a pump action shotgun.
I knocked on a door of a single wide one night at work and heard the bolt slam home on an AR style rifle. I knew exactly what it was and almost ran over my partner getting off the porch. ?

bighonkinjeep

MY preference is the best way I know to stop a threat immediately. That would ba a 12ga. After seeing what a 3" load of coper plated #4s through a full choke does to a hog at 25 yards that's what I have chosen for HD.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Interesting answers here.

Do you consider the penetration of the ammo you use?
Especially in your house with other occupants.

Will the ammo you use penetrate multiple sheetrock walls?

01Foreman400

Staff member
Glock 23 and Benelli M1 with extended magazine. My own hand loads for the M1 #4 TSS.

lonewolf247

I'm not one to go to sleep in an alarm state. I'm pretty relaxed and I sleep well. I figure God will watch over me while I sleep. That said, I don't have a weapon within arms reach of my bed.

My contingency plan is this: I sleep with my master bedroom door locked, and my bathroom and closet are nearby. In the event my house alarm goes off, or I'd hear someone trying to get into my bedroom door or window. I would relocate into my master closet, locking the bathroom door behind me as well as the closet door, and grabbing my cell phone as I do this.

I have a very good selection of all weapon types, and ammo loaded in mags that would be ready to go, as well as several shotguns. I'd call 911, and they would have 3 doors to get by to get to me.

Larry Rooks

Depends on which room im in when hear the bump. Got handguns located around, easy to get to, but none visible and none that kids can get to

MX5HIGH

I have several guns throughout the house but this one is in the top drawer of the small cabinet next to the bed.

603B3043-BF26-4F1C-A44B-07BB23194E5C.jpeg

Reactions: Dub

Ray357

AWOL
Browning Gold Hunter with 3.5" HV 00 Buckshot, extended magazine to the end of the barrel loaded to full capacity with a flashlight as bright as the sun, firmly attached, under the ext mag tube.

I have never had to use it, but if I ever did, god help their souls....because he is their only chance....
Ought to make a nice mess for coroner to zip up.