Atorvastatin For Cholesterol

campboy

Does anybody take this? How does it make you feel? Doc wants to put me on it but a couple people I talked to said it made them feel terrible

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Does anybody take this? How does it make you feel? Doc wants to put me on it but a couple people I talked to said it made them feel terrible

I take it, no side effects. You take it at night, your asleep while its working.

georgia_home

Hated it. Read the list of side effects. Of the 8 or so worst, I had 7.

joint pain, especially around the hips was very bad. Took a couple of months to really kick in.

I stopped taking it.

suggest you ask for something else.

ymmv. Good luck

GeorgiaBob

Been taking it (40mg dose) for a year and a half as part of the regime for AFib and heart failure. I take it in the evenings before bed, as recommended by my cardiologist. So far I haven't noticed much. I do sometimes experience a bit of nausea and occasional light headedness, but I am taking four different drugs to "regulate" my heart and "manage" the AFib, so the symptoms might be another drug or just be my broken heart acting up.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have not taken that but got Crestor recommended some years back. It gave me severe pain in the lower back / hip area. We went to something else for a year or so then tried Crestor again. I have been on it for several years now with no symptoms.

Talk it over with yout Dr. If he wants you on it and you respect his opinion I would recommend at least trying it. If you develop symptoms you can discuss with him the possibility of a different medication.

ryanh487

Best thing you can do is change your diet ASAP. Not go on a diet, change your diet. In a matter of months you won't need medication anymore and you'll feel much better too.

campboy

Best thing you can do is change your diet ASAP. Not go on a diet, change your diet. In a matter of months you won't need medication anymore and you'll feel much better too.

What things would i need to avoid besides red meat? What are some foods that I should eat more of?

Gbr5pb

Took Crestor for 3 months thought I had the flu went to walk in clinic doctor told me it was the Crestor put me on IV for 6 hours and quit taking. A year later doctor put me back on Crestor and CQ10 hadn’t had any problems and cholesterol is half what it was

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Took Crestor for 3 months thought I had the flu went to walk in clinic doctor told me it was the Crestor put me on IV for 6 hours and quit taking. A year later doctor put me back on Crestor and CQ10 hadn’t had any problems and cholesterol is half what it was

Now that mention it, my doc recommended a Qunol supplement. I take it at night as well. I buy the Costco brand, pretty cheap.

DannyW

I have taken the 40MG dosage for 3-4 years. No side effects. Only way for you to know is to take it for a while. If you start having side effects, stop and contact your doctor.

Atorvastatin, along with a change in diet, has had a huge effect for me. I had triple by-pass in 2005 so I have bloodwork done 2-3 times a year. On the other statin drugs I have tried, I struggled to keep my LDL (bad cholesterol) below 100 and HDL (good cholesterol) above 50.

Now my LDL regularly is below 70, while my HDL is above 70.

You asked about diet. I will lay out the general things I changed. Before my diet consisted of about 30% chicken/fish and 70% beef/pork. Those ratios have flip-flopped. I still eat steaks but only a couple of time a month. We now have salad for dinner 3-4 times a month.

I try to stay away from fast food but when I stray, I tend to favor chicken places over burger places. Oh, and we switched from whole Milk to 2%.

I think you get the idea. Some changes were hard, some I never noticed. Or discovered some changes were pretty darned good after all.

YMMV

ryanh487

What things would i need to avoid besides red meat? What are some foods that I should eat more of?

Cut back on starchy carbs (studies have shown they act like glue and contribute heavily to arterial plaquing) and increase, fiber, green leafy vegetables, and lean meats like fish and chicken breast. Lean red meats are very healthy, just opt for the filet or a prime sirloin instead of a ribeye. Ease up on the butter and fried foods and opt for healthier fats. Turkey bacon instead of bacon more often than not, etc. If you hunt, eat venison and don't have beef fat added to your ground. Opt for lower fat cheese options and pay attention to serving sizes. You don't have to eliminate your favorite foods, just start paying attention and limiting yourself on quantities and frequency. Eat high protein, low calorie and drink lots of water. Fiber and protein will fill you up faster and leave you full longer. Just overall paying attention to what you're eating and using food as fuel instead of pleasure will drastically improve your energy levels and blood chemistry and you'll be thriving instead of surviving. You can make changes now and thrive or make changes after a coronary event to survive. I have family and friends living in the aftermath of heart attacks and surgeries and there is far more it effects than just your heart. If you want an active life with the energy to do the things you love then you have to cut back on the instant gratification of certain foods. And if you smoke or dip, quit ASAP and cut back on drinking. Stick to unsweetened liquors in moderation instead of beer when you do drink. And get active if you're not. You'll start shedding body fat and your joints, back, etc will feel better and you'll notice an improvement in sleep quality, energy levels, mood, and testosterone levels. I started making these changes earlier this year at 35 to avoid ending up like my loved ones in my 50s and I'm already feeling SOOO much better. It's challenging at first but so worth it.

huntfish

Also, quit drinking beer. Heck drinking beer within 3 days of your blood work can cause a 40 rise in the Total Cholesterol.

campboy

Cut back on starchy carbs (studies have shown they act like glue and contribute heavily to arterial plaquing) and increase, fiber, green leafy vegetables, and lean meats like fish and chicken breast. Lean red meats are very healthy, just opt for the filet or a prime sirloin instead of a ribeye. Ease up on the butter and fried foods and opt for healthier fats. Turkey bacon instead of bacon more often than not, etc. If you hunt, eat venison and don't have beef fat added to your ground. Opt for lower fat cheese options and pay attention to serving sizes. You don't have to eliminate your favorite foods, just start paying attention and limiting yourself on quantities and frequency. Eat high protein, low calorie and drink lots of water. Fiber and protein will fill you up faster and leave you full longer. Just overall paying attention to what you're eating and using food as fuel instead of pleasure will drastically improve your energy levels and blood chemistry and you'll be thriving instead of surviving. You can make changes now and thrive or make changes after a coronary event to survive. I have family and friends living in the aftermath of heart attacks and surgeries and there is far more it effects than just your heart. If you want an active life with the energy to do the things you love then you have to cut back on the instant gratification of certain foods. And if you smoke or dip, quit ASAP and cut back on drinking. Stick to unsweetened liquors in moderation instead of beer when you do drink. And get active if you're not. You'll start shedding body fat and your joints, back, etc will feel better and you'll notice an improvement in sleep quality, energy levels, mood, and testosterone levels. I started making these changes earlier this year at 35 to avoid ending up like my loved ones in my 50s and I'm already feeling SOOO much better. It's challenging at first but so worth it.

what are some unsweetened liquors?