AR's, what am I missing?

olchevy

I had got an Ar-15 last year, because I had always wanted one and had always heard everyone talk about how great they were...etc..

But, Essentially I like the idea of the ar-15, I love the look of the ar-15, but I just dont like the ar-15. If that even makes sense....

It is very accurate, quick to shoulder and aim. Very light, ammo and mags are also light compared to other rifles (ie. AKs Fals etc.). It has never once malfunctioned, which many Ar owners can not say, mine is actually chambered for 5.56 so I can shoot either should the need arise. I got the .22 conversion for it and it has worked perfect except for the occasional bad .22.....

I dont know why though but I just don't really care for it that much....Im thinking about selling/ trading it, but I don't want to, to only a few weeks later find something to make it very fun again.

I dont know.....
Any of you feel the same way?

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Nope. Never have. I like them a lot.

olchevy

I got some plans for it, to hopefully make me love it...

grizzlyblake

I had one for a while, a Bushmaster. It was great but I couldn't justify that kind of money tied up in something that is essentially just a toy.

For the cost of an AR I could have 3 Marlin 336s, a couple .357 S&W revolvers, or a set of tires for my truck and a couple tanks of diesel fuel.

Win1917

I understand what you're saying. I like military style arms too and appreciate the design, the quality of manufacture, etc but I don't have an interest in buying or using one. If you sell it and decide you want one again there are so many used ones for sale right now it would be no problem to pick up another one and get right back ino it.

olchevy

Well if I was to sell it how much do you all think it would go for, for a relatively quick sell.

It has only had 80 rnds through it...I bought 200 and now have 120...

I have

Double star lower, I believe with tapco trigger( have to check)
m4 a3 threaded upper (16'' M4 profile with flat top that is T marked and has standard ar bird cage flash hider)
detachable carry handle
hogue pistol grip, and original
Rail mounted on original handguard
3-30rnd mags
1-20 rnd mag
Brownells .22 conversion
3-26rnd blackdog .22 magazines (high quality, and be dissembled)
120rnds of Brown bear 62gr HP
Multicam two mag pouch, meant for Molle but works fine on a belt.
Buffer tube nut tool(for taking the buffer tube off)
And sight tool that works on front and the older style a2's rear sight

rjcruiser

Fun to shoot...and I threw a nice scope on top to make it my foul weather deer rifle...now it is a justified zombie killer.

If you want something similar that is cheaper to have fun with...try the .22 knockoffs...like the MP15-22. Lots of fun, look cool..don't break the bank.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Nope.....I love mine!

Of course I might be a bit biased due to carrying and using one for Uncle sam.;)

You want alot of fun get a M&P 15-22....this rifle is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Here's a pic of the the brothers.

Attachments

• M&PBrothers2.jpg
    M&PBrothers2.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 324

Hawkeye7

They may be "tactical", but just not "practical" in my opinion.

:bounce:
I never got into that type of firearm. My interest centers around sporting arms and pistols. Had a MAK 90 for a while and traded it for a S&W. If you like them..great. When I go into a gun shop I seem to find myself in the bolt action rifle section. To each their own. Some folks don't care for bolt action rifles either. I used to like to shoot them when Uncle Sam was buying the ammo.

grizzlyblake

Chevy there is a guy on MO that has your problem in reverse w/ a 336!

cw

I was following that thread a few days ago. That problem is something I REALLY don't understand. I'd sell of all my other guns and my truck before getting rid of my Glenfield 30a.

chuckdog

The AR platform rifle is very practical for me. I've been right where you are many times though. If I looked at something a few times and thought, " I haven't picked that thing up in months, what do I even have that?" I like the AR platform, I have several in various calibers and configurations. They're fun for the entire family. My grandaughter enjoys shooting them with ease due to the low recoil and collapsible stock that make them an easy fit for her. I have one in 6.8 SPC that should be great in the deer woods or bean fields. I also have one in .450 Bushmaster that will come in handy if they ever open a season on bulldozer in Ga. Plus it's just a ball to shoot. Anyway they all have their own personality and use. One thing about them and all my toys that I've come to appreciate over the years that I think applies here. "They don't eat a thing when not in use." Most guns that I've sold off when feeling as you do, I've later regretted. Another thing that my old Pappy preached and it finally sunk in is "It's much better to have something and not need it, than to need something and not have it." As others have said, they're easily replaced now, but they may not be in a few months again.

Win1917

M & P 15 22, I've never heard of those before but I could actually see myself springing for one of those. Price is right and the ammo's cheap :shoot: .

packrat

Ar

Don't know where to start. AR is an all around great gun, but it is not for everybody. It is one of the most versatile rifles ever made. No limits on how you can build them and yes they can be built for around $500. I ain't even going to go there cause I'll get get hammer from the name brand guys. No, I don't use one for deer hunting, but know several that do. I've hardly ever met a gun that I didn't like. New guns, old guns, big guns, little guns, cheap guns, expensive guns, etc... I LIKE EM' ALL.
Of course I don't own any now. I sold them all and donated the money to some tree-hugger group, who's motto was
"SAVE THE TREES, WIPE YOUR BUTT WITH AN OWL" :huh:

jo_dawg69

i used to not care too much for the ar's myself. but once i started shooting my buddies a good bit, i got to where i want one now. i couldn't afford to buy one so i just bought a romak ak. i have a blast with it. i am going to build my own ar over the next few months. to me it just seems like the ar's are over priced to just buy a new one. but they are great guns and are a very versatile platform. i look forward to building mine.

in my opinion, i would rather have my because it is quick and easy to take down and clean, just spray it out with brake cleaner and go. its just as durable, of not more durable than the ar. just not as controllable as the ar when it comes to rapid fire. but like its been said, to each his own.

i would rather spend 400 on an ak, about 200 extra for furniture upgrades, and a decent red dot sight than spen 1200+ for a new ar with nothing on it. just my opinion though.

olchevy

I got a plan for it now to make it more for me, I just cant justify selling it, I like it to much....So I am going to do some stuff to it to make it more the way I want it.....I will Keep you guys updated!
Considering in the next year or two, i will be going military in some form or another, I better start loving it. That was one of the main reasons I bought it was for training purposes...Now To make it mine!