1st session with new rifle

lonewolf247

i would also add don't fan the trigger...immediately releasing the trigger...pull it all the way back and hold it...watch the bullet hit the target....that is your follow through. Dry fire practice is your friend...this also allows you to see how your breathing affects thing. Don't stop breathing find your natural pauses with your dry fire practice.

Yes, that's a better way of describing the follow through on the trigger. That's exactly what I do.

Big7

The Oracle
8X57 is an awesome cartridge.

I had a FN barreled action for years- kept putting off getting a stock and scope for it. Wound up selling it.
Also, bought a pile of 60' era ball that was in good condition.

I wish I had never sold that rifle.facepalm:

Dub

8X57 is an awesome cartridge.

I had a FN barreled action for years- kept putting off getting a stock and scope for it. Wound up selling it.
Also, bought a pile of 60' era ball that was in good condition.

I wish I had never sold that rifle.facepalm:

How ya feeling, man ????

Hope things are on the upswing.

JR924

2nd session with rifle. I did do somewhat better since that 50 yard group I posted a last week was with handloads. I ran out of handloads so on this day I just shot foreign cheaper factory loads. Bulls bag not in. Used homemade sandbag up front with Walmart Allen bag on top and allen bag at rear. Trigger reduced to 2 lbs. Rifle cleaned. No wait between shots in each group. All shots 100 yards. All shots with thumb on top of stock area next to reciever.. All targets are 5 shot goups. First 2 groups with hand on top of scope and 8x57 PPU Thunder 185 gr factory ammo - 2" and 1.125". 3rd group was hand off top of scope with 8x57 PPU Thunder 185 gr factory ammo 2". 4th group was hand on top of scope and 8x57 Sellier Bellot 196 gr SPCE factory ammo 1.5". Expecting some 185 grain Sierra Prohunters handloads at 2700 fps in a few weeks. Saw a gunsmith at the range. He said he never heard of hand on top of scope. He does not put his thumb on top of stock (by the receiver) as he said it could add error since the pressure can change. He puts the thumb lightly on the other side of the stock by the trigger guard. I know some of you posted on this very same method. I will follow that advice next time. Waiting for the new handloads and Bulls bag to shoot again. Won't give up till I get 1" groups at 100 yards even if I go broke from ammo purchases. I will shoot the next groups with the hand off the scope and the thumb on side of the stock. I will also wait 3 minutes between each shot, Any further insight helpful.

Attachments

• group 1 -2 inches.jpg
    group 1 -2 inches.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Group 2 -1.125 inches.jpg
    Group 2 -1.125 inches.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Group 3 - 2 inches.jpg
    Group 3 - 2 inches.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Group 4 1.5 inches.jpg
    Group 4 1.5 inches.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 1

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
2nd session with rifle. I did do somewhat better since that 50 yard group I posted a last week was with handloads. I ran out of handloads so on this day I just shot foreign cheaper factory loads. Bulls bag not in. Used homemade sandbag up front with Walmart Allen bag on top and allen bag at rear. Trigger reduced to 2 lbs. Rifle cleaned. No wait between shots in each group. All shots 100 yards. All shots with thumb on top of stock area next to reciever.. All targets are 5 shot goups. First 2 groups with hand on top of scope and 8x57 PPU Thunder 185 gr factory ammo - 2" and 1.125". 3rd group was hand off top of scope with 8x57 PPU Thunder 185 gr factory ammo 2". 4th group was hand on top of scope and 8x57 Sellier Bellot 196 gr SPCE factory ammo 1.5". Expecting some 185 grain Sierra Prohunters handloads at 2700 fps in a few weeks. Saw a gunsmith at the range. He said he never heard of hand on top of scope. He does not put his thumb on top of stock (by the receiver) as he said it could add error since the pressure can change. He puts the thumb lightly on the other side of the stock by the trigger guard. I know some of you posted on this very same method. I will follow that advice next time. Waiting for the new handloads and Bulls bag to shoot again. Won't give up till I get 1" groups at 100 yards even if I go broke from ammo purchases. I will shoot the next groups with the hand off the scope and the thumb on side of the stock. I will also wait 3 minutes between each shot, Any further insight helpful.
Think about it, when your shot at an animal happens you will be holding the rifle under the front part of the stock not resting it on top of the scope.
A sand bag helps replicate that point up fwd on the stock but I cradle the stock with my shooting hand and have a bulls bag under that.
No matter what you do, try to do it consistently as if you were in the field.

* and I do use a led sled at times. Never add weight to it. You need to let the recoil go somewhere.
But before its hunting time I shoot the gun holding the front of the stock.

Reactions: Dub

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Groups #1 and #4...if you can keep some touching they all have the potential touch. Those outside of them are usually a forced flie.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

Looking good @JR924

Keep on shooting & cleaning.

Shooting & cleaning.

Those 5-shot groups can tell you a heap more than some of the 3-shot groups do providing you aren't shooting a pencil-thin barrel.

You've got a couple with 4 touching. That is looking mighty promising, man. (y)

I've never had any luck with hands in odd places on the gun...never messed with the hand-over-scope hold.

I just rest the stock over the shooting rail or cradle the fore grip in my left hand with right hand on the on the firing grip.

My problem....or at least one of them...is getting too jittery once game shows up. Rushing shots...pulling trigger and then raising head up to see it drop vs staying on the scope while working the bolt and getting ready if a second shot is warranted.

My shot placement on deer has not been stellar over the years.

Much of my range time in the past was from bags, unweighted lead-sled and the like. Comfortable bench top setups. Once my gun-scope-load consistency was proven, I didn't do enough practicing from shooting rests, off branches, shooting sticks, standing & holding etc.

You are gonna be ready when there is an elk in your crosshairs. Keep after it ;)

Jester896

Senior Clown
when you add a pressure point (on top of scope) it changes the harmonics of the rifle. If you want the same results every time you have to do it the same every time.

are you coming off of the stock between shots? I am curious about the vertical strings.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Yes, I sit up straight, hands go off the rifle, cock bolt and then grab the gun and shoot.

that isn't conducive to accuracy in the long run shooting groups. The vertical stringing could be ammo but looking at the targets it could be the shooter and an unbalanced position...level....the same place every time. You could be just that much off from lifting your face instead of running the bolt from your first position.

I think target #1 is how your rifle shoots. Now make it shoot that way with free recoil :D