44magnum

deerslayer357

What is the effective distance of a 44mag for deer? 50-60yards maybe?
Also, what kind of hunting rounds do you use (jacketed soft point, jacketed hollow point, etc)?
I know you want penetration AND good expansion, but what will give me both a big wound channel and an exit wound in 44 mag?

fishndinty

JSP in the lightest grain weight you can get. Velocity is more important than mass when calculating kinetic energy (1/2mv^2)

Out of an 8 inch barrel, scoped, a 44 revolver can be a legitimate 100 yard deer gun.

JSP in the lightest grain weight you can get.

I think that you will find that you are in the definite minority with that opinion.

There are a lot more people shooting 240 - 300 grain bullets than 180 gr.

The effective distance of the .44 magnum is probably in excess of 100 yards in terms of ability to kill a deer. The better question is what is the effective range for the shooter. For most people, who practice a reasonable amount, that would be in the range of 100 yards.

I personally prefer the jacketed flat point rounds. Nothing expands like soft lead. The Speer 270 gr. works well for me, and comes in some factory loads.

Razor Blade

I have killed deer out to 100 yards very easily with the 44 magnum , would not hesitate to do it again . Deer , hogs , no problems , for bear i would keep it a bit closer , they seem to be tougher . I have used the Hornady XTP/HP in a 240 gr . Every time full penatration , from a 8.5 inch barrel. Never lost an animal yet ! Pick your shots , full broad side shots are best , just like you see on tv . They do that for a reason , it works ! I think anything in a 44 will work fine , i just seem to like the middle of the road weight best . SCOTT

huntemup

I agree, 100 yds not a problem. I shoot a 240 gr soft point and with a good rest can keep it in a 5x7 card. But, don't 4get ear protection. Can u say permanent hearing loss!

Handgunner

Easily 100 yards, in the right hands.

I shoot Hornady 200gr XTP's... To me, they are like RazorBlade said "middle of the road".. They have less felt recoil than say the heavier loads, but more punch than say the lighter loads...

I've shot the 250's and they are a bit much to enjoy shooting them... The 200gr's were a happy medium for me..

Razor Blade

If i know that the distance will be short , i like heavy bullets better in my pistol , however , dead is dead. In the states that will only let you use rifles with pistol calibers that have a COL set , i have seen the 44 mag take deer cleanly out to 150 yards , using 240 xtp/hp. Now , that is starting to take it to my "personal limit " , set by me , but the 44 mag speaks to deer awefully hard out there . SCOTT

knifemaker

In the 44mag's what handgun do y'all prefer? Ruger,Taurus,Smith??

Ben

COLT Anaconda. Leupold m-8 2X scope, does a number on em for me.

Attachments

• DSCN3104.jpg
    DSCN3104.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,807
Last edited:

Craig Knight

Ben

this is my 3rd Ruger SRH I have another one in 44 mag with 7.5" barrel, and a 454 with 7.5" barrel, and am getting a new one in 454 Casull with a 9.5" barrel soon as it comes in at the gun store. They are my personal favorites

Attachments

• ruger.jpg
    ruger.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 1,772

deerslayer357

thanks fellas.

Razor Blade

629 classic s & w,topped with a leupold m8 2x. Good as it gets .

Last edited:

Handgunner

S&W 629 Classic topped with a Leupold 2x EER...

Attachments

• smith629.jpg
    smith629.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 2,522

boneboy96

I wouldn't try anything over 25 yards with mine...it's more for up close and personal! S&W 629 3 inch Trail Boss with non fluted cylinder!

Attachments

• S&W 629AR's 003.jpg
    S&W 629AR's 003.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1,722
  • S&W 629AR's 004.jpg
    S&W 629AR's 004.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,731
  • S&W 629AR's 005.jpg
    S&W 629AR's 005.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,695

Handgunner

I wouldn't try anything over 25 yards with mine...it's more for up close and personal! S&W 629 3 inch Trail Boss with non fluted cylinder!
She's pretty! But you need to ditch the rubber grips.. :D

Razor Blade

Hey handgunner , them grips are the best for comfort when that recoils . You like the wood better ? SCOTT

Big7

The Oracle

Ben

RUGER!.... Period. :bounce::bounce:

Best gun...to me.
Best scope mount... fer' sure!

gahunter70

I had a 629 classic 6.5" barrel I always shot 180gr hornady xtps and killed several deer and hogs. I had the factory sites and did not practice much but was still able to shoot it well, chock that up to the gun not me. Took 1 deer at 96 paces and another at 98 paces so that was some where around 95 to 100 yrds. No problem killing those deer but shot placement is the key.

Handgunner

Hey handgunner , them grips are the best for comfort when that recoils . You like the wood better ? SCOTT
Scott, I really can't tell the difference between the two. With the wood grips, the gun seems to roll back easier... whereas the rubber ones seem to flip up...

Hard to describe, but I like the wood ones better...