Bear marking tree

Ghost G

Very impressive find. Thanks for sharing NGeorgia!

tree cutter 08

I know where an old growth poplar is on Chattahoochee WMA. I Could take you straight to it. One of the biggest poplars I have seen on the WMA. It is scratched up like this one, but has bare places where the bears have torn and bitten the bark off. It actually has horizontal teeth marks where the bears bite the bark off. It is unusual because they usually mark smaller pines or hemlocks. I've always wondered why they choose to mark an old growth poplar there. It is far outside their common habit.
I bet I know which one you talking about! Never looked close enough to see if it was marked up though.

chrislibby88

I know where an old growth poplar is on Chattahoochee WMA. I Could take you straight to it. One of the biggest poplars I have seen on the WMA. It is scratched up like this one, but has bare places where the bears have torn and bitten the bark off. It actually has horizontal teeth marks where the bears bite the bark off. It is unusual because they usually mark smaller pines or hemlocks. I've always wondered why they choose to mark an old growth poplar there. It is far outside their common habit.
Might be like a community sign post thing. Occasionally you can run across a signpost buck tree where all the bucks in the area will it rub it. Usually a larger tree with years of rubs on it. Most buck rubs are small trees only hit once per season. I’ve found only a handful that they hit every year. Hogs will sometimes have similar trees.